Low Carb?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

The problem that I have with vegans in particular (and my sister was a vegitarian/vegan for 15 years and recently converted to paleo, and my mom is a vegan now) is that they tend to act like zealots and veganism is almost like a cult IMO.

Yup, no zealotry or cultish behavior for Paleo or low carbers

Surely it exists in any group, plenty of the calories in vs. calories out folks are pretty combative that it's the only way. Problem with vegans in general (not all of them mind you) is that they want to push that it's the ONLY way to eat, and if you don't you are a horrible person. It's the diet of superiority for those that want to have an air of being morally superior to others.

But whatever, the debate will rage on forever, and there will always be instigators that want to stir the pot in the other camps for debate and fun I suppose.

Cals in vs cals out is the only way, unless you know of a magical way of eating in a surplus and losing fat

Sure, it's low carb for me. Only way to explain that I lost most of the weight I have in the last year not counting calories, not exercising as much as I should and taking in generally 1000+ cals a day more than MFP recommends. Oh yeah I commute 2+ hours a day and sit at a desk job as an IT Manager. The only time I get up and out of the office for the most part is to eat lunch, which consists of low carb, high fat foods.

Years ago I lost with low carb too working full time, going to school full time, sitting and playing computer and video games and rarely sleeping more than 4 hours a day. My activity level consisted of sitting or lying down 24 hours a day more or less and yet while not burning many calories through activity, still loosing 105lbs in about 9 months, and yes I was pretty much constantly snacking on meat, eggs and cheese, there is no way I created a caloric defecit enough to offset my sedendary lifestyle at that time.

So what happened to the excess energy? It magically disappeared?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    there is no way I created a caloric defecit enough to offset my sedendary lifestyle at that time.

Are you a wizard?
  • Caryn74
    Caryn74 Posts: 3
    Options
    I've lost 10 pounds in two weeks eating low carb... generally between 20 and 40 carbs per day, though today I ended up with only 10. I'm never hungry and feel fantastic. I'm sleeping more soundly at night and have more energy through the day, no more tired, draggy feeling (which has been my "normal" for a very long time). I usually shoot for 60% fat, 25-50% protein, and around 10% carb. Many days (like today) I have to remember to eat, as I'm just not getting that hungry. I'm trying hard not to drop below 1200, some days I do, most days I'm between 1200-1500 calories. I'm not necessarily counting calories, but by eating to satiety and not being afraid of fat (especially "good" fats) that's just how my days naturally come out.

As far as enjoying your food... In the past week I've had pepper steak, chicken fajitas, stuffed peppers, chicken/avocado salad, cheesecake, pizza, and so much more.Some of these (like pizza) have obviously been tweaked to lower the carbs, but are still delish. I've probably never enjoyed my food more, and am eating more fruits and veggies than I did before (there are MANY low carb options). Not only do I not feel deprived in any way, I no longer have cravings, nor do I have that heavy, sick feeling I used to get after carb-heavy meals.

Obviously, everyone is different, but don't knock it til you try it. I truly can't say enough good things, and unless something drastically changes, I plan to eat this way from now on. I feel too good not to.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Most days under 100 too....but I'm calorie counting also.
  • tahoemads
    tahoemads Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you're thinking of 100g a day, check this out! It sounds like you want to limit grains/starches. I get my carbs from kale, avocados, tubers, etc.

And don't believe the myth that it's just simple math: calories in, calories out. It's much more complicated, including accounting for your muscle mass, water weight and hormonal factors. If it was simple math then a diet of McDonald's calories at 1200/day should make me thin, right? Wrong.

The type of food you eat also determines whether you're burning fat or glucose. Do your research. Find what's right for you. Try it out, and let everyone's opinions be just that.

I eat between 25-50/day, I'm a long distance runner and don't eat grains. I am gluten intolerant, aside from grains contributing to leaky gut and chronic inflammation....but that's another story.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/press/the-primal-blueprint-diagrams/#axzz1yOIANSzX
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    feel free to check out my diary. I've been doing low carb since April & lost over 20 pounds. Most noticeably in my belly. I keep protein and fat higher to give me a good balance. I think you will like it
  • grnice
    grnice Posts: 96
    Options
    Whatever happened to everything in moderation? I think there's a difference between trying to lose weight and trying to be healthy. If you are trying to lose weight, sure, low carbs will probably work but are you going to be able to maintain that for the rest of your life? Not likely.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have had great success following a low carb/paleo diet. Remember it is a lifestyle change! I am a competitve bodybuilder and personal trainer, I work out 7 - 10 times a week, and on a high carb diet, I could lose no weight, even though I was burning hundreds of extra calories a day. When I switched to a low carb/paleo eating plan, I shedded the fat at an incredible rate while maintaining most of my lean muscle mass.

Keep in mind, with any program, I believe exercise is the key and needs to come first. Why? Because it keeps you accountable and on track. Yes its true nutrition is the trump card...However its needs to be 100% Workout and 100% Nutrition.
    I don't know what I find more comical you working out 7-10 times a week or you stating you couldn't lose no weight on a "high" carb diet. You of all people should know that calories matters. Considering your high activity rate, you were more than likely UNDERRATING.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If you're thinking of 100g a day, check this out! It sounds like you want to limit grains/starches. I get my carbs from kale, avocados, tubers, etc.

And don't believe the myth that it's just simple math: calories in, calories out. It's much more complicated, including accounting for your muscle mass, water weight and hormonal factors. If it was simple math then a diet of McDonald's calories at 1200/day should make me thin, right? Wrong.

The type of food you eat also determines whether you're burning fat or glucose. Do your research. Find what's right for you. Try it out, and let everyone's opinions be just that.

I eat between 25-50/day, I'm a long distance runner and don't eat grains. I am gluten intolerant, aside from grains contributing to leaky gut and chronic inflammation....but that's another story.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/press/the-primal-blueprint-diagrams/#axzz1yOIANSzX
    So explain the first low of thermodynamics then? If it isn't all about calories in vs calories out?

Most low carb plans replace fats with carbs why? Because the body needs some source of fuel. If it can't use carbs, it's going to use fat. The kicker is that over time in order to continue weight loss, you have to reduce your fat intake or basically reduce your overall CALORIE intake.

Insulin Resistance (which is used to justify low carb plans) really only apply to the severely obese and the diabetic population.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So explain the first low of thermodynamics then? If it isn't all about calories in vs calories out?
    Reckon so.

In = what we eat + what we take from reserves

Out = basal metabolic rate + energy cost of using fat from reserves + digestion of food + random physical activity + exercise / other activity + undigested stuff in effluents etc etc

I'm sure it would all add up if we measured and accounted for everything. Like living in a metabolic chamber for example.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Try things. Set out a 6 week target. Reduce your grains (not your natural fruit/veg). If you can pick it eat it, it's great.
    If it needs to be crushed by a 500kg roller before you can attempt to eat it, maybe we've not adapted as a species to eat it.

So stop bread, pasta, rice, beer, couscous etc....
    Anything with a grain in for 6 weeks.
    Keep your diary and blog stuff to.
    Perhaps you'll have a hard time coming off it, perhaps not.

I'm eating more "natural" fats at the moment & I've been cutting out grains. It's making me stronger, I can't believe it.
    But I'm feeling awesome!!!!

It's for you, see what works for you, make it your way. Only you know what you can and want to do :)
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    (and if you fancy a "cheat" beer + bacon sarnie, do it, see how it feels)
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins-style low-carb for years and it worked for me. However, many people struggle with the lack of bread, pasta, etc. It really is a meat-lovers' diet. Now I just watch net calories, and I eat plenty of carbs, but I generally avoid the high-glycemic ones: sugar, white flour, white rice, baked potatoes, etc. I eat a lot of vegetables and fruit, and some whole-grain bread and white-rice, and I've had not problem keeping my weight down.

If you're going the Atkins route, I suggest you get two things: Mission brand "Carb Balance" tortillas, and Dreamfields low-carb pasta. Both excellent proudcts that will help you deal with carb cravings. If you live in an area where they have Kroger supermarkets, the Kroger Carb Master yogurt is terrific, too.
  • yarwell
    Options
    F2.medium.gif

interesting to see how long a carby meal chocks up your fat burning and replaces it with storage.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Ate 2,390 yesterday and 329 of those were in carbs. Woke up lighter. Win.
  • jiffner25
    jiffner25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    F2.medium.gif

interesting to see how long a carby meal chocks up your fat burning and replaces it with storage.

Why do you think that your graphic has anything to do with fat storage? And what makes you think that an isocaloric meal with a different macronutrient composition would be any different concerning lipolysis/lipogenesis?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    F2.medium.gif

Why do you think that your graphic has anything to do with fat storage? And what makes you think that an isocaloric meal with a different macronutrient composition would be any different concerning lipolysis/lipogenesis?

Additionally, isolated snapshots of what happens post-meal intake are not nearly as relevant to what happens over the course of longer periods of time.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • yarwell
    Options
    Why do you think that your graphic has anything to do with fat storage?
    The glucose flux into storage goes into fat if glycogen stores are full. The insulin response to the elevated blood sugar inhibits lipolysis.
    And what makes you think that an isocaloric meal with a different macronutrient composition would be any different concerning lipolysis/lipogenesis?
    The insulin response to fat is virtually zero, the response to protein much less than to carbs. So less hormone regulating storage and less / no glucose flux from digestion to cope with.