PETA's Billboards aimed at overweight Women

Options
2»

Replies

• JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I generally am an anti-PETA person because I tend to be anti-extremist (in any direction) even though I am in 100% support of humane treatment of animals and I think this ad did nothing to win them support. I think I am most bothered by the blanket statement that vegetarians are healthier than omnivores because I think it is factually incorrect. I think this ad is an offensive propagation of the falsehood that vegetarian is equivalent to healthy when in reality a number of the most unhealthy foods Americans eat are in fact vegetarian.

And, while it does get the point across, the idea of comparing an animal to a man being murdered is so amazingly callous to the family that, to me, it is almost unthinkable.
  • Saken
    Saken Posts: 476
    Options
    I wish I was making this up. But I have to say I've not stopped laughing since I saw this news piece about the PETA bill boards in Jacksonville Florida that targets overweight women.

http://www.comcast.net/video/peta-heavy-women-are-like-whales/1218302300/

It's just... heh. Well have a look see for yourself.

I'm off now to go eat a HUGE piece of steak. I'm following that up with some chicken, and perhaps even a pork chop. :wink:

Happy to be an omnivore...

CK

PETA is BS
    i am an animal lover myself, own two lovely ferrets that by coicidence are playing near me riht now like two crazy cats.
    BUt i really cant stand peta, they are mostly crazy people!
    Dam!
  • sln2789
    sln2789 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to be a PETA member and have since stopped sending them any donations because I do believe they are too extreme and disrespectful with some other their advertising. However, there is no such thing as compassionate carnivores. If you do any research into the raising and slaughtering of animals that end up on our tables it is disturbing, heart breaking and leaves no doubt that they suffer tremendously. Some people will always eat meat...and that is what choice is all about, but torture cannot be labeled as compassion just because the animal is eaten and not worn.
  • siobhannestor
    Options
    I see that I am in good company - really, really dislike PETA - they are extremists who blithely publish lies to support their cause. Am in agreement that compassionate "omnivorism" is the way to go, even when it comes to the environment - sustainable farms require the "husbandry" of both animals and plants to be sustainable. What PETA won't tell you is that far more acres of rain forest are sacrificed every year to the growth of soybeans than cattle. BTW, I am one of those former vegans whose vegan diet is one of the causes of my weight gain. (PETA wants everyone to go completely "animal free" in their diets.)
  • thuelskamp
    thuelskamp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I used to be a PETA member and have since stopped sending them any donations because I do believe they are too extreme and disrespectful with some other their advertising. However, there is no such thing as compassionate carnivores. If you do any research into the raising and slaughtering of animals that end up on our tables it is disturbing, heart breaking and leaves no doubt that they suffer tremendously. Some people will always eat meat...and that is what choice is all about, but torture cannot be labeled as compassion just because the animal is eaten and not worn.

I agree with you. I've been vegan for about 9 years now. There's no way to know how slaughtered animals (or dairy cows, etc.) are treated unless you live on a farm and raise the animals yourself. I'm sure there's people out there that eat "free-range" eggs and "humane" meat but there are no regulations for putting those labels on anything.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I am an animal lover. I have 3 dogs and a ferret of my own and I generally have 2 or 3 foster dogs running around my house as well. One of my foster dogs was purposely bred for medical research. Thanks to Peta for complaining about shelter dogs being used for research - a huge industry is thriving - breeding dogs solely for the purpose of being "tested" on, Most of these dogs never make it out alive... my foster dog was sent to a veterinary school where someone took compassion on him and called our rescue. He will NEVER be normal because of the way that he was raised. It's sad... and yet, I see the need for some medical research... after all, given the choice of testing medicine on my dog or on my son... no contest. As much as I love my dogs (more than most... really...) - I value human lives more.

Peta is misguided at best... I can't stand them. If you want to win someone over to your cause - don't be crazy! I hated that Peta and I were on the same side of the Michael Vick case... I don't think he should have ever been allowed to play football again. Ever. And if I had my way... they'd have nabbed him on corrupting the morals of a minor... how many kids looked up to him? How many kids will emulate him?

Ok - stepping off my soap box. I hate Peta. I hate Mike Vick and I do love my occasional piece of meat!