Talk to me about birth control ...

Options
123457»

Replies

• beckamelia1
    Options
    Ive had the implant for about 7yrs and hasnt made a difference to losing weight or gaining!!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I used depo provera 10 years ago and I gained about 15 pounds from that one shot. It also caused hot flashes and crankiness. How long have you been on it?

Years, and really need to come 0ff due to the osteoporosis link. i only put on about 10lbs but i just can't lose it.
  • Smuterella
    Options
    Thanks all

Sadly I don't think a coil will be a good option for me, I have very painful periods which is why I went on the Depo in the first place and apparently coils can make all that worse.

Wish I could just get sterilised really, but it isn't something doctors are willing to do for a woman who doesn't have children.

I was going to say... I had IUD for a couple of years and the worst periods I've ever had in my life, just crippling. Don't do it :)

Never had problems with weight gain on the pill, but I was young, poor and non-sedentary I suppose!

These days I leave it to HIM. (when there is a HIM) :)

Let us know what doc says.

I'm going for the hormonal IUD which is supposed to reduce bleeding / stop it altogether but yes, the copper coil is supposed to be really bad for increasing period pain.
  • Smuterella
    Options
    Birth control can increase appietite, but not make you gain weight.

Although it can cause water retention it doesn't cause you to hold onto fat, avoid salty foods and drink more water.

I'm not sure I agree with you, the depo shot is known to cause long term weight gain. It's in the literature and Doctors very closely monitor people on it because of this. I think it is due to the very high dose delivered.
  • Smuterella
    Options
    the only thing that didn't cause weight gain for me = vasectomy.

Oh, believe me, I've raised this with the chap, and he is "considering" it....
  • fergie2812
    fergie2812 Posts: 162
    Options
    Hi
    I'm on Cerazette and LOVE IT!!!!!!
    No monthlies no symptoms nothing!
    Made no difference to my weight when I started it and to be honest I don't even realise I'm on it at all
    Truly the best thing ever invented for me
  • TashaTeex
    TashaTeex Posts: 1
    Options
    I was on the injection. And whilst i was already what I thought overweight, it caused me to gain 1 stone, making me the heaviest i'd ever been. This pushed me to lose weight. I want to find something too that does not interfere with my weight.