what foods dont have protein in?

Options
pinkpip
pinkpip Posts: 57 Member
i have ate my dinner andi have calories left but no remaining protein therefore i wondering if any one knows of any snacks not including protein?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I personally don't consider it a big deal to go over on protein so long as you're not going way, way over on a regular basis. You could try osmething like popcorn or some fruit. If there's any protein, it's likely not a lot.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MFP has the protein setting way way way way too low. I have mine at 120-150 grams.
  • pinkpip
    Options
    im trying to lose weight for my holidays, but i've overate ofmy protein now at work, whenill need to be picking i can't because ive overate on my protein!:(
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    im trying to lose weight for my holidays, but i've overate ofmy protein now at work, whenill need to be picking i can't because ive overate on my protein!:(
    Again. DON'T SWEAT IT. MFP has protein set too low.

Most folks say .75 or 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass. I weigh 133, and eat between 120-150 grams of protein depending on my workouts.
  • pinkpip
    Options
    i weighed 132 pound how many grams of protiten am i alloud to eat?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    MFP has the protein setting way way way way too low. I have mine at 120-150 grams.

This is an incorrect and potentially dangerous statement.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    i weighed 132 pound how many grams of protiten am i alloud to eat?
    How many do you NEED. Protein is not evil. You NEED protein.

What is your body fat percentage? If you don't know, safely shoot for around 100 grams a day. That may be a little low. But not as low as MFP.
  • broxi1979
    broxi1979 Posts: 30
    Options
    How is this a dangerous statement, if you are losing weight and over-eat on any of your macros, make sure it's protein and not carbs.

I agree that MFP by default is way too low on Protein, this is why I customise my macros to take in about 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fats.

Give or take.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    How is this a dangerous statement, if you are losing weight and over-eat on any of your macros, make sure it's protein and not carbs.

I agree that MFP by default is way too low on Protein, this is why I customise my macros to take in about 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fats.

Give or take.
    Yep. Mine is 40P 30C 30F
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    See your protein goal as a target not a limit, like water, fibre and vitamins.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

How so? Everything reputable I've read suggests that we need .75 to 1 gram of protein for each pound of lean body weight. MFP set me at like 30 grams or some such nonsense.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    See your protein goal as a target not a limit, like water, fibre and vitamins.
    Well put.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Oh please explain. I'd love to hear your reasoning.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Unless you have kidney issues, don't worry about it.

Many people aim for around 1g per lb body weight. Having extra is not bad for you, it won't halt your weight loss (unless you go over calories) so it's really not something to worry about. I love to go over in protein and fibre - I see them as more of a target than a limit!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Go over on protein. MPF has the levels set LOW. I adjusted mine to between 100-140.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

The only danger here is if there is a pre-existing kidney issue. If not, no harm. The standard recommedation for someone active is between 1 and 1.6 grams per kilogram of body weight if doing strength training and 2 grams if doing intensive cardio. Over that is somewhat of a waste but not really harmfull unless ridiculously higher for a prolonged period of time.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

The protein recommendations on MFP match those set by the Institute of Medicine, which sets population based recommendations based on current medical science. Eating above these recommendations may be safe for many people, but for many others it can cause medical problems, some severe. While some lifestyles may benefit from more protein, the average person doesn't "need" more protien. Before eating outside medical recommendations it would be wise to check with your doctor or a licensed dietician, rather than listening to a potentially dangerous blanket statement on a www forum.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

The protein recommendations on MFP match those set by the Institute of Medicine, which sets population based recommendations based on current medical science. Eating above these recommendations may be safe for many people, but for many others it can cause medical problems, some severe. While some lifestyles may benefit from more protein, the average person doesn't "need" more protien. Before eating outside medical recommendations it would be wise to check with your doctor or a licensed dietician, rather than listening to a potentially dangerous blanket statement on a www forum.

Then this should have been your original statement instead of making your own "blanket statement" about someone being incorrect.

Exercise intensity and fitness goals need to be considered when determining a person's protein intake. Protein for basic weight loss would be lower than for body recomposition.

However, given most everyone's statement, OP should not consider protein as a limit and become stressed if they go over.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

From what I could find, the most recent report on the IOM website is from 2002. That is hardly current. The recommendation there is 0.8 g per kg of bodyweight of protein for adults, but no adverse effects are listed should one exceed the recommendation (given normal health markers).

If you are going to make claims, please back up your claims with citation-- it lends validity.

Source:

http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2002/Dietary-Reference-Intakes-for-Energy-Carbohydrate-Fiber-Fat-Fatty-Acids-Cholesterol-Protein-and-Amino-Acids.aspx
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    The IOM study does not address weight loss/fat loss as I recall, does it?