Plantar fasciitis

Options
I have been told that I have this it is so bad I can hardly walk I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas to help me still burn calories with out walking

Replies

• GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have that and a heel spur. I use the elliptical/ARC at the gym. I also go to a podiatrist and get Cortisone shots in my heel, the shots take away almost all of the pain.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Have you gone to a foot doctor for it? If it's that bad you might need to get cortisone shots and anti inflammatory. My husband had it very bad and he had to get both of those. Not only that but he was out of commission from running for over a year.

You might want to try the elliptical but it might still irritate the foot. Your best bet is to just rest it and STRETCH it. If you don't do it already start lifting weights.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i had PF and heel spurs. when i lost weight, both problems disappeared. get some MBT shoes, they are expensive, but worth EVERY PENNY..wear them all the time, even though you will look and feel ridiculous. also try some braces to wear on your feet while you sleep. those helped ALOT.
  • dulcemiel
    dulcemiel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have it on both of my feet, it sucks, have gone to the doctor and had the shots although I'm not sure looking back how much I would recommend that, ultimately it depends on the level of pain you are experiencing. As I started out I would do rowing, eliptical, recumbrant bike until your feet feel better. Lastly use the boot at night, try and massage and stretch your calfs (AFTER) you workout. That helps a lot. Good luck and if you have any other questions just let me know.

Teresa
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have this!!! And it sucks!!!! Especially because I'm a runner. Ok--basically you don't want to do any type of exercise that puts pressure or weight on the heel of the foot affected. My doc told me: no running, no climbing, no elliptical (especially at an incline), no weight lifting exercises that put pressure on the heel of the feet (squats, lunges, deadlifts). What I've been doing for the past two weeks: cycling and swimming, and minimal weight lifting--upper body only--anything I can do while seated. I also have ankle weights for leg lifts--you can do that--just no exercises that you have to do standing. You can also take a cycling class or water aerobics. I looked into this but I didn't want to spend $40 a month on a gym membership for just a few weeks until it heals. Other things I would recommend: ice it every night as well as during the day if it's bothering you--freeze a water bottle and roll your foot over this. Stretch it every night as well as during the day as much as you can--straighten your leg, put a towel around your toes and pull toward you. Take acetaminophen to reduce inflammation. Finally, the therapy that's helped me the most--wearing an orthopedic boot at night to flatten the foot and stretch that tendon while you sleep.
  • julepgirl
    julepgirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - it's so bad that I stagger when I get up to walk - it's embarrassing, and hurts like the devil. For me, the pain reduces after a few minutes walking (I'm guessing - foot has stretched out a bit), but then comes back if I walk much more than a few minutes, and gets worse and worse. I tried really expensive shoes, special orthotic inserts, etc, and believe it or not, what finally worked for me is Crocs. I know, I know, but they don't all look like duck feet now, I found some really cute sandals and even work shoes that make everyone say, "Those aren't Crocs!" I'm still struggling some, but it's better enough that I can walk a few hours before the pain starts getting bad. Just enough for shopping mall trips, walks around the neighborhood, etc.
  • DOTY1
    DOTY1 Posts: 97
    Options
    Thank you all I have the heel suprs as well and the dr said that I can get the shots but Im not sure if I can stand having shots in my feet. Where would I get one of the night time boots?
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I had plantar fasciitis for a loong time... the only thing that saved me was the pool - water aerobics and swimming.... Hopefully you are getting some physical therapy - makes all the difference.... The worst feeling in the morning and waking up and walking feeling like you are stepping on broken glass...ugh! It will get better - stretch - stretch - stretch and get some PT
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have this!!! And it sucks!!!! Especially because I'm a runner. Ok--basically you don't want to do any type of exercise that puts pressure or weight on the heel of the foot affected. My doc told me: no running, no climbing, no elliptical (especially at an incline), no weight lifting exercises that put pressure on the heel of the feet (squats, lunges, deadlifts). What I've been doing for the past two weeks: cycling and swimming, and minimal weight lifting--upper body only--anything I can do while seated. I also have ankle weights for leg lifts--you can do that--just no exercises that you have to do standing. You can also take a cycling class or water aerobics. I looked into this but I didn't want to spend $40 a month on a gym membership for just a few weeks until it heals. Other things I would recommend: ice it every night as well as during the day if it's bothering you--freeze a water bottle and roll your foot over this. Stretch it every night as well as during the day as much as you can--straighten your leg, put a towel around your toes and pull toward you. Take acetaminophen to reduce inflammation. Finally, the therapy that's helped me the most--wearing an orthopedic boot at night to flatten the foot and stretch that tendon while you sleep.

This is exactly my story and experience.

I got my boot from my podiatrist through my primary health care physician. He also gave me shoe inserts and I use them in all my shoes. I still limp in the morning, but I have gone from crutches at the initial injury to just limping a bit in the morning and I do ALL the exercises in the gym except running. I do participate in Zumba and the other aerobic classes. No pain. No shots (after the first time), and lots of stretching. You'll make it OK.
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Invest in good shoes! I like my Danskos. I can walk all day in them. Flip flops really irritate my heel spurs . I just try to keep shoes on all the time unless I'm laying down. Another thing I've read about and done with good result is take a tennis ball and just massage the bottom of your foot with it by rolling your foot around and work out the knots. It hurts at first - feels like a really deep bruise- but helps in the end. Don't let it keep you from exercising! There is still LOTS you can do.
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    FootSmart.com has a number of things for PF, inserts, boots, etc. and they are relatively inexpensive. Good luck, PF stinks...I got the shots in both feet, pain went away right away, felt great. But with my exercise schedule, cardio, strength and running it's creeping back again. Lots of stretching! The boots help and I wear the inserts in my work shoes. I've also found that Crocs are very good for this too.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Thank you all I have the heel suprs as well and the dr said that I can get the shots but Im not sure if I can stand having shots in my feet. Where would I get one of the night time boots?
    '

Honestly if the pain is that bad with it you might want to suck it up and get the shots. My husband never complained about them (I think they might have numbed the area but I can't really remember). It's worth it if it gives you comfort. PF is not something to mess around with.

Also you might want to look into orthodics.

ETA: I personally would not go the croc route. I've known too many people who have twisted ankles and got hair line fractures in their ankles wearing those hideous things.
  • mrsmrogers
    mrsmrogers Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Schedule an appointment with a Podiatrist. There are conservative treatments that they can do.
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    i had PF and heel spurs. when i lost weight, both problems disappeared. get some MBT shoes, they are expensive, but worth EVERY PENNY..wear them all the time, even though you will look and feel ridiculous. also try some braces to wear on your feet while you sleep. those helped ALOT.

So encouraging to hear yours went away. This is a huge reason why I am so motivated to lose weight- I am TIRED of hurting!
  • JaimeBrown5
    JaimeBrown5 Posts: 324
    Options
    PF is the single most over-diagnosed foot condition. You should get a second opinion that it's not something else.
  • lmbigsby
    lmbigsby Posts: 36
    Options
    I tried the shots, inserts in my shoes and MBT's all a waste. Ended up having the surgery in both feet (not that the same time) it was the best thing I have ever done.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I had this for 3 years and would literally cry every morning it hurt so bad to walk...

I tried the cortisone shots, but if you do that too often you can get a build up of scar tissue which will hurt worse and last forever.

Take a water bottle (one of the small ones you buy at a gas station) and freeze it. 5-10 times/day (seriously) put it on the ground and run your foot over it, back and forth, back and forth along the arch. In addition to doing this, take an NSAID like ibuprofen to get rid of the inflammation.

The only exercise that I could do (outside of water) was a bike.

Good luck, I've been PF free for 3 years now but it was one of the most long-term crappy things I've gone through.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I've had it very very bad as well (with heel spurs) and it completely resolved itself, although when the aching starts again, I now know what to do. Suggestions:
    - see a sports-oriented podiatrist. They are much more sympathetic with your desire to keep exercising and can offer suggestions. My doc also taped up my feet -- felt great!
    - get shoes/sneakers with very solid support, especially arch support.
    - if you can afford or if your insurance pays for orthotics, get them. If not, get arch support inserts at a drugstore or sporting good store.
    - wear supportive shoes all the time, even around the house. Barefoot/no support (like flip flops) is the worst. Stinks in the summer. : (
    - Keep a belt by your bed. When you wake up in the morning, stretch out your calves by sitting up straight, legs out straight, belt around the top of your foot pulling your foot back toward you.
    - Calf stretches on a bottom step. You always want to try and get your heels down and top of foot up.
    - Freeze a small water bottle and roll it under your foot (with sock on) for a nice massage. Do this as many times a day as you feel you need to.
    - Ibuprofen.
    - Homeopathic arnica gel.

Honest to goodness, i was in so much pain I thought I never could walk normally again and was completely freaked out. But I did all of the above religiously and now I'm more active than ever. And walk barefoot a lot, too!

P.S. I never ended up having to have shots or get the night bootie. But it took a bit of work and giving my feet plenty of rest.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    If you have a gym membership, the row machine will kick your butt and you'll still be able to get in some great cardio!
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    i did the dr.s appointemetns, tried different shoes and different shoe inserts, what finally changed my life was walkfit inserts i saw on an informercial. i bought them 5 years ago, never needed replacing, and i just ordered more so i can have them in more than one pair of shoes, they are affordable and were a true miracle for me. honestly changed my life and i dont have to spend a fortune on shoes because they convert all my shoes including my dress shoes