Plantar fasciitis

Options

Replies

• BRANDYGR8MOVES
    BRANDYGR8MOVES Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I had this for 3 years and would literally cry every morning it hurt so bad to walk...

I tried the cortisone shots, but if you do that too often you can get a build up of scar tissue which will hurt worse and last forever.

Take a water bottle (one of the small ones you buy at a gas station) and freeze it. 5-10 times/day (seriously) put it on the ground and run your foot over it, back and forth, back and forth along the arch. In addition to doing this, take an NSAID like ibuprofen to get rid of the inflammation.

The only exercise that I could do (outside of water) was a bike.

Good luck, I've been PF free for 3 years now but it was one of the most long-term crappy things I've gone through.

same here doc suggested it for me
  • lmbw126
    lmbw126 Posts: 24
    Options
    I have had it. Rest is the best thing for it. If you want to continue burn calories focus on strength training right now not so much cardio. Best treatment methods:

1. Before getting out of bed in the morning stretch the fascia with a towel or resistance band. Take a towel/band/fabric and fold it in half and place it around the ball of your feet while your sitting in the bed, its going to cause mild discomfort but that helps loosen up the stiffness from sleeping.

2. Never walfk barefoot. PERIOD.

3. Get some orthotics for your training sneakers. The best ones are the custom but are expensive. The next est thing to day is get the semi-custom from Wal-Mart. You stand on the little machine and it will tell you which ones will work best for you. Those really helped me.

4. Take NSAIDS like Aleve, Motrin, Advil after working out. I was advised to take 800mg every 4-6 hours as needed.

5. Freeze a water bottle (16-20oz) and sit in a chair and roll it with your foot. It works great.

Hope this helps. Just don't do impact activites until its heeled because you can develop a heel spur or stress fracture.
  • DOTY1
    DOTY1 Posts: 97
    Options
    Thank you all so much its nice to read that other people are going through same thing
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i have this and had some orthotics made which really help. I also have arthritis in the toes so they help with that too. They weren't cheap but I wouldn't want to be without them.

Swimming is a good way to burn calories, the water will support your whole body.
  • dreamer722
    dreamer722 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Night splints didn't work for me. Orthotics didn't work. Cortisone shots didn't work. The doctor finally did surger on all the various spots I had the spurs along with on the plantar fasciitis ... and it's all better now ... and I could run if I want to ... but I hate running so I walk and do other exercises.. That's what worked for me although the doctor can tell you what's best for you.
  • MargaretWalks
    MargaretWalks Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I had this and it eventually healed up. For me it only really hurt to walk for the first several feet, then the tendon would stretch out and I'd be okay. I was working in the library at the school then and found that if I stayed on my feet there was no pain. But if I sat down for awhile with the weight off my feet it'd hurt again when I got up to walk. I had a cortisone shot and orthotics but time eventually took care of it.
  • livbellamybrown
    Options
    What worked for me is buying fit flop trainers and taking an ibuprofen in the morning and stretching my feet before i started! I would find before i started doing that by the end of the day I was crippled and could hardly stand on my right foot! Fit flops were a life changing moment!

Hope it gets better soon I totally sympathise x
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Also Avia walking shoes was what he told me ot wear, they are the best for heal problems, J.C. Penny's usually has them on sale

That's weird. I have had PF in the past, but not recently until I bought some Avia shoes. It came on so quickly after switching to these shoes I have no doubt they are causing the pain.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I think I had this once in my r foot as a result of driving a lot. I did stretches which helped, but quit that job and it went away. Yoga stretching might help it and is also a good work out- and also swimming. good luck
  • iremmy
    iremmy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Biking, swimming, and yoga yoga yoga.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I had it, went to the doctors and got a cortisone shot and that was two years ago no more pain! I did get the inserts and used them till I broke them and never replaced them. Too much money!!!!!
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I had plantar fasciitis VERY bad about 15 years ago. The thing that seemed to help me the most was to roll my foot over a tennis ball. Apply a little pressure, but not too much (do it and you'll feel what's right for you). It helped to loosen things up and really took the pain away. Highly recommended.
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with this as well. All the tips people mentioned are great and I will be trying some of them!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You don't need to stop walking. Hopefully, your doctor is sending you to a physical therapist, but if not, I will share the things I learned that helped the pain go away completely.

1. Freeze a water bottle and roll it under your feet
    2. Stretch you feet before getting out of bed... (do this by using a belt or a towel around your toes and pull the ball of your feet towards you)
    3. Take an anti-inflammatory

There might be some other tips out there that I had forgotten about, but these three things will give you remarkable improvement in just a few weeks.
  • Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I got it when I was pregnant. It was so painful!! There are stretches you can do to "limber" it up before using it, once you have warmed it up you should be good to go. I have lost about 35 lbs since my baby was born and it is better!! Losing weight definitely helps!!
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Hey hey.

Count me among the folks that have feet so bad that it sucks to get up in the morning. I have collapsed arches... ie feet that are completely flat. More or less, my parents could've done something about them when I was a kid but now there's nothing science can do.

I've found that caffeine (from coffee) and Tylenol helps me deal with some of the pain. I'm not a drinker so I'm not really using my liver. I also use an Eletronic Muscle Stimulation machine to treat pain. I have orthotics and they help. I've recently switched to a running shoe that's made for folks that over pronate. If you decide to look them up, look for "Stability" or "Motion Control" running shoes.

As far as exercise, I focus on getting my cardio on a stationary bike. I can't handle running without a lot of pain the next day.

For Plantar Fascitis, have you looked for a night splint like this?

fxt2.jpg
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have it. I strength train and I have exercises I do for the plantar. I also wear a foot thing I bought at Target that I wear at night that stretches the foot out so it doesn't hurt as bad.

The key to Plantar is: STRETCH
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Great tips. I'm actually going to the podiatrist tomorrow, but all signs point to this.