When do you track your food?

Options
124»

Replies

• dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    No set formula for me, sometimes before I eat, sometimes after! I keep pretty close tabs on my diary though so I know what I can and can't have, or what I have to work to get!
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I pre-log...I typically know what I am going to eat for the day and will log everything and then see what calories I have left because of my workout and spread those extra calories out over the day. It helps that we rarely eat out and hubby works 2nd shift so I make dinner at lunch time lol . If it's not pre-logged, I add it as/after I eat it :) In the end, it's about what works for you and sticking to it.

**Edited to say I workout in the morning, so I know my calorie burn early as well :)
  • taniaxkoi
    taniaxkoi Posts: 18
    Options
    I try to do it after I've eaten whatever so then I don't forget to do it and don't cheat myself!
  • johnpangan
    johnpangan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Though I already know what I eat everyday, I still log my food as I eat. Also, including all my workout. It make you accountable.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Either when I'm preparing it, when I'm eating it or soon after depending on the situation. When I'm eating out if it is too complicated to log quickly at that moment to be polite to who I'm with I'll wait until I get home or back to work.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    As I eat.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I usually sit right in front of my laptop and log it with the plate right in front of me. It usually gives me a good idea of whether or not I actually wanna finish it all or not.
  • Rennae9
    Rennae9 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Right before I eat if I need to scan anything...but usually right afterwards. My sister and I went to visit our other sister and we were eating out and we both had our phones out logging our healthy choices we made at dinner. The other sister who is at least 250lbs just kinda looked at us like we were crazy. I am fanatical about logging my stuff. :)
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    While I'm eating or right after. That way I know what I have left to work with for my next meal.

I rarely plan a full day of meals out in advance, maybe one meal if there is something specific I want to cook. When I'm cooking dinner at home I keep a notepad on the counter next to my food scale. Right it all down, then log while stuff is cooking or while I'm eating.
  • chameleon77
    chameleon77 Posts: 124
    Options
    Most of the time I just log in at the end of the day, unless I have time to do so otherwise. I do wish however, that I could plan out meals better. I really think this might be a great idea!! I am just horrible at planning.
  • Ahanaz
    Ahanaz Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I check before among the alternatives, log after, but always directly after I finished a meal so I have the correct count for next meal.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I usually plan my (and the family's) meals so I get a rough idea into MFP early and adjust as necessary. Knowing what the daily numbers are like in advance also helps me know whether I have any leeway for a carby treat (ice cream, yes!) or need to up my protein to stop my body feasting on itself.

Then there are days like today where I have got home from school sports day and am guesstimating what I munched on at the picnic.