drinking calories...

You know whats dumb? When people say don't drink your calories. If you're a hardcore runner like me, you need powerade/gatorade so you can gain back electrolytes... :mad:
plus how the heck are we going to get calcium (besides tablets) if we don't drink Orange juice or milk?
so when people say don't drink calories, could you be a little more specific?!?

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,832 Member
    You can get calcium from foods. And you really don't need to drink gatorade or the like, you can drink water.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    I just drink water. I'm of the mind that I'd rather eat my calories than drink them. Except when it comes to booze. Then there is an exception. :drinker:
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    You can get calcium from foods. And you really don't need to drink gatorade or the like, you can drink water.

I can back the calcium thing, but Gatorade is full of electrolytes that water doesn't have.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    I think they mean booze.

DRINK UP!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    I hear that too but feel its important for you to do whatever works for you!!!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member

I can back the calcium thing, but Gatorade is full of electrolytes that water doesn't have.

I drink coconut water after a long run (has natural electrolytes) and plain water the rest of the time.
  • DangerSass
    DangerSass Posts: 124 Member
    I run for wine.
  • kuhayetee
    kuhayetee Posts: 41
    ok well i'm a cross country runner, and the electrolytes really help! even if it's like 100 cals, it's worth it and to put in my body and to help recover from all the sweat i lost.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    I always feel like it's about giant coffee drinks full of fat and sugar...or booze...or milkshakes, stuff like that. Or juices that aren't really juice, mainly sugar.

My main drink is water and hot tea.

Sometimes I will have a V8, coffee or milk. :drinker:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    I don't particularly have any issue with drinking calories, but... (1) There are plenty of foods that contain calcium. (2) You can replace salt and potassium with food, or with unsweetened electrolyte enhancers (Nuun tablets are one option, "light salt" which is a "salt substitute" made from a mixture of sodium and potassium is another).

I used to do the "light salt" thing, just mix it with some water and chug or eat it out of your hand, it's cheap, but it tastes kinda nasty unless you're really low on electrolytes, then it tastes amazing. I was recently introduced to Nuun tablets and the lemon-lime one tastes pretty good (although the taste isn't very strong). Also, there are lighter versions of Gatorade and even zero calorie Power-Aid. There are a lot of options, it's just a mater of finding one that works for you. And for all the "just drink water people" if you're really sweating a lot over a long period of time, you *do* need to do something to replace lost electrolytes--imbalanced electrolytes are not something you want to mess with.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    I run for wine.

I like you. :love: :flowerforyou:
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Another alternative is Smart Water, since it has electrolytes like Gatorade. Do what you will though. I save a portion of my calories for coffee every day. >.>
  • _Stampede_
    _Stampede_ Posts: 66
    Bourbon helps my muscles heal.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    It is more in ref. to fruit juices, soda, etc...
  • samasche1
    samasche1 Posts: 64 Member
    I run for wine.

^^^THIS :drinker:
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Another alternative to gatorade (at least regular gatorade) is G2, which is half the calories. I think when people say "don't drink your calories" they are mostly referring to making sure you eat enough to sustain your body.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member

I drink coconut water after a long run (has natural electrolytes) and plain water the rest of the time.

Coconut water is the bees knees. I LOVE that stuff, more electrolytes and less sugar than Gatorade. Also, I don't drink milk or orange juice. I get plenty of calcium from food.

I drank about 900 calories in beer yesterday. And it was SO worth it.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    if its what you want and what works for you, if you can fit it in your caloric intake, what do you care what others say?
  • TooHott2Trott
    TooHott2Trott Posts: 57 Member
    Or just not really give a darn that they hurt like I've been beat with a bat..
    Bourbon helps my muscles heal.
  • I think they mean booze.

DRINK UP!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ill toast to that :drinker: having one right now ;)