drinking calories...

Replies

• SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Unless you're running or working out hardcore for OVER an hour, you don't need to replace your electrolytes. People who drink all those energy drinks, fancy coffees, alcohol, soda and juice are taking in way more calories than they probably think they are.

Your body utilizes calcium from food much better than that found in fortified juices, btw. Hearty greens (collards, kale) are particularly high in calcium, and if you eat that with a small amount of nuts or seed the absorption rate is very good. Plus they don't spike your blood sugar like juice and milk will.
  • marissa4354
    marissa4354 Posts: 140
    You can get calcium from foods. And you really don't need to drink gatorade or the like, you can drink water.

I can back the calcium thing, but Gatorade is full of electrolytes that water doesn't have.

I drink coconut water after a long run (has natural electrolytes) and plain water the rest of the time.

LOVE coconut water. Drinking it now.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Can only speak for myself ... I mean, avoid juice(ing), smoothies, soda, and yes, milk.

Calcium sources include vegetables, especially dark leafy ones like kale.

Gatorade is pretty much sugar water (fructose) with salt added and personally I find drinking coconut water (without added sugar) is a good electrolyte replacement. No problem getting salt in my diet: sprinkle some on my vegetables :-)

Juicing means you don't get the good dietary fiber; if this is the only way you'll 'eat' vegetables however, then juice in moderation

Soda ... does anyone think this is healthy?

Smoothies, especially those with protein powders are loaded with calories and many have an unintelligble ingredient list.

Milk ... I stopped drinking this years ago because it gave me the 'runs' when I was running :-)

Just IMHO ...
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    I run for wine.

^^^

LOL! I workout for beer!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    You can get calcium from cheese, yogurt and other dairy products. I do that rather than drinking milk because drinking it just makes me feel full but not satisfied.
  • _Stampede_
    _Stampede_ Posts: 66
    Or just not really give a darn that they hurt like I've been beat with a bat..
    Bourbon helps my muscles heal.
    Drink till it feels good!!
  • Briszler75
    Briszler75 Posts: 88 Member
    I drink Vitacoco http://vitacoco.com it's great. Better than gatorade any day!
  • I think they mean drinking calories such as soda. However I drink my calories such as adult beverages, milk, oj,gatorade. Sometimes I can drink water all day and it not necessarily quench my thirst, so I go for a gatorade every couple of days. Do what your body tells you.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    You can get calcium from cheese, yogurt and other dairy products. I do that rather than drinking milk because drinking it just makes me feel full but not satisfied.

You can get calcium from plenty of things that aren't dairy products as well. I eat practically no dairy and am almost always way over on my daily calcium recommendations. Green leafy veggies like spinach and kale are very high in calcium.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    I get my electrolytes from Jack Daniels
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    I always assumed that was in reference to sugar-laden, empty calorie drinks that provide no other nutrition. Pop, mainly.
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    You can make a rehydration drink but it would have 128 calories
    Thats
    1 tsp salt
    8 tsp sugar
    5 cups drinking water
    mix until sugar and salt are dissolved

This replaces electrolytes when I was in South Africa parents were advised to give this to their children if they had
    diahorrea
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Bourbon helps my muscles heal.

:heart: :drinker:
  • Exquizyt
    Exquizyt Posts: 33
    I get my electrolytes from Jack Daniels

^^ This :drinker:
  • spdoman7
    spdoman7 Posts: 121 Member
    brondo has electrolytes...(any Idiocracy fans)..."It's what plants crave..."

Gatorade isn't typically needed unless you are active > 1 hr. I try not to use any gatorade or gels so that you teach your body to burn its own fuel.
  • AshlyRamos
    AshlyRamos Posts: 76 Member
    I just drink water. I'm of the mind that I'd rather eat my calories than drink them. Except when it comes to booze. Then there is an exception. :drinker:

You took the words right out of my mouth. Although, those booze come pretty far apart these days. I'd rather save up for my fruity strong high calorie irish trashcans and go all out when I do. This happens every couple months. LoL

so, no soda or juice or anything other drink that has calories in it for me!

cheers!

:drinker:
  • sdoldsMD2013
    sdoldsMD2013 Posts: 128
    Well, first do what works for you and your lifestyle. For me, I don't drink my calories, which means I don't drink any beverages other than water (and almond milk for cereal). I am very strict with my caloric intake, so I don't want to waste my calories on a juice/soda/alcohol/other beverage when I can save those calories for a meal that will fill me up and be more nutritious. I hope this helps! As always, do you girlie! :-)
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    I just drink water. I'm of the mind that I'd rather eat my calories than drink them. Except when it comes to booze. Then there is an exception. :drinker:

Sometimes, I drink water specifically so I can have booze at night.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Define "hardcore runner". I run a lot and all I ever drink is water. Works for me.

Oh I lied.. also drink beer.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    You know whats dumb? When people say don't drink your calories. If you're a hardcore runner like me, you need powerade/gatorade so you can gain back electrolytes... :mad:
    plus how the heck are we going to get calcium (besides tablets) if we don't drink Orange juice or milk?
    so when people say don't drink calories, could you be a little more specific?!?

Even hard core runners seldom need much in the line of electrolyte replacement. A single Gatorade after a run in hot/humid conditions may help if you have symptoms of electrolyte depletion (like muscle cramping) but for the most part you can and should replace your fluids with non-sugar-sweetened beverages. Calcium isn't limited to milk--it's in lots of foods, and orange juice has to fortified to have calcium. Pretty much all fruit juices are just sugar water--the nutrition in in the fruit's pulp itself, not the juice.

That said, if you have calories you don't know what to do with, feel free to drink them. It's just that those beverages with calories seldom offer any real nutrition, and it's kind of a waste of calories to use them for beverages.