How old were you when you had kids?

Options

Replies

• angeliis02
    angeliis02 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter right before my 33rd birthday. I'm so so glad I waited. I did a lot of growing up in my late 20s and I think I'm a better mom because I waited.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    became a step mom at 24 and again at 32. Plus a birth mom at 32. For me, waiting was the best.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I was 30 and I'm so glad I waited (:
  • jahall76
    jahall76 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I was 28 when I had my son, and 31 when I had my daughter. We were married for 5 yrs, and together for 10yrs, before having kids. I'm really happy we waited. All of our friends were starting to have kids so it was easy to get baby-fever, but I'm glad we waited. We were young, carefree, traveled, and had little responsibility. It was quite a change from the life I live today. I'm glad I had the time to experience that when I was younger.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I can't even read the whole thread because it makes me sad and quite honestly, envious of all the people who have children. I am 42 and have never had children, and now biologically it's unlikely (and the fact that I've been single for 8 years doesn't help).

If I could do it over again I would have tried harder to find the right person to have children with, and had them in my late 20s or very early 30s when I was in the best mental/emotional/physical space for it. Now, my only option is probably going to be foster/adoption and it's expensive and a hard thing to plan when you are single and don't have a lot of support.

I have a few friends who had children in their 20s and a lot of friends who had them in their late 30s.

You're young, you have time...but don't wait so long that you lose the opportunity, like me.
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Because of my weight, I wasn't able to have my own kids. My husband and I adopted our children through foster care. When we got our oldest I was 35. I was 36 when we got the next one and 38 when we got our last one. It's kind of nice though. They seem to keep me young.
  • Rjdj3530
    Rjdj3530 Posts: 154
    Options
    I had my first child at 19 (unplanned) and my second one at 23.

I would probably say wait. Live a little (ok ALOT) before venturing down that path. Having children changes everything. You no longer go and do as you please when you please. You have to make sure they will be taken care of first and after the initial newness wears off people aren't always so willing to take them off your hands so you can have couple/you time.

As much a joy as children are you'll miss alot that's going on in your youth if you have kids now. The upside that I can tell you is that now that my oldest is 13 and youngest almost 10 I am starting to see the light! By the time I am 40 my kids will be grown and it will be everyone else that's stuck at home with their young children and we will be going and doing!
  • NanaKK1234
    NanaKK1234 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    OK here it goes and I am sure I will get some comments on this.

My first I had 2 weeks before I turned 16, the second I had the Sunday of my Senior Spring Break I was 17, my third I had at 19 just 2 months before I married my husband. I then gained a 2 yr old step daughter. So yes I was married and was raising 4 kids by the time I was 19.

Now, the oldest (25) is married and is a maintenance tech for an apartment complex, the next (step daughter 24) has a 5 month old and works for State Farm, the next (23) is in the Army, has 2 children and a step daughter and just returned from his 2nd deployment and the baby (21) graduates from college in December and is getting married in August.

I graduated high school with honors, went to college dropped out raised my kids and helped my husband build our trucking company from the ground up. YES I can drive a tractor trailer. Then right before I turned forty I went back to school and graduated this past August.

Regardless of your age when you have your children you can still be the best person you can be and give your family EVERYTHING they need to succeed in life as I did.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter at 21 and I wouldn't change it. I got married at 20 and me and my husband wanted to have kids right away, I want to have all my kids in my 20s cause physically its easier and the health risks are significantly lower. If you are financially set, why not. I have not missed out on anything having kids so early. We go on annual hawaii vacations, I visit my family 2500miles away every year, we take frequent mini trips throughout the year. You can enjoy life with kids! In my 30s our kids will be older and we can relax before we get old. LOL
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    I'm probably regret putting this out here but I was 16 when I had my first child who is now 15 years old. I had my 2nd child at 23 when all my friends were finishing college and getting married. I raised her while finishing school and getting my life on track. It wasn't easy but I have managed to land a great job, a wonderful husband, a beautiful home and soon will be debt free thanks to Dave Ramsey. I should note that my daughter will be half my age in September.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    My first one was born just after I turned 16 and my second one just after I turned 18.......................WAIT!!!!!!!!..................Get it all out of your system and then settle down.......................you will be happier for it:bigsmile: :heart:
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I had my first child at 27 and my 2nd, 3rd and 4th children at 29. I had a baby boy when I was 31 but he is not with us anymore.

If I had my time again I would do the same but maybe earlier. I wasn't sure I wanted children but I'm glad I had them.
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I had my son when I was 18. I always say that if I could be guaranteed the same kid now (I am 31) I would have waited. It is just so much more of a struggle when you are younger and you are still trying to figure out who you are, let along figure out another little person. I would suggest wait until your ready. Don't do something just because everyone else is.
  • setaylor86080
    setaylor86080 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I just had mine and I am 22. I agree with a lot of these posts. If your not ready then your not ready. Waiting is not a bad thing. I on the other hand wanted to be a stay at home mom since I was 5 lol. I was told at 20 that because of my PCOS i would never have kids so my daughter is my miracle. I would not change it for the world and yeah we still go out and party just not as much.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I'm probably regret putting this out here but I was 16 when I had my first child who is now 15 years old. I had my 2nd child at 23 when all my friends were finishing college and getting married. I raised her while I finished school. I have a great job, a wonderful husband and a daughter who will be half my age in September.

Mine just turned 32:bigsmile:
  • kelif5959
    kelif5959 Posts: 202
    Options
    Started trying at 28..........had her at 32. :)
  • dianniejt
    dianniejt Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was 20 with my daughter and 21 with my son. Like I tell them. WAIT! Be a kid and a young adult. I have been a SAHM for 15 years and am ready to find a job and I seriously have NO skills. I graduated high school, got married, had babies. If I had to do it again I would go to college then have kids. I do not want my children to have kids so young. It is HARD. I was still dealing with childhood issues while I was dealing with a baby, then two (in less than 11 months) I feel like at 35 I am just not prepared for a child.
  • BabyLeila23
    BabyLeila23 Posts: 410
    Options
    I think you are VERY SMART for waiting. I am 23 and not ready either. Each person is different. Wait until you are ready :D
  • NanaKK1234
    NanaKK1234 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    YAY I wasn't the only one!!!!!!!!!!

mine were at 15, 17, 19 and they are 25, 23, 21 NOW
  • shannonsjourney
    Options
    My first son was at 22; my 2nd son at 25 and my 3rd son was at 30. And now I AM DONE. My boys are now 9, 7 & 2.