23 and 29
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    WAIT!
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    i was 26... i think that was a good age... not too young, not too old... if i had to do it over again, i wouldn't change a thing!

I was 27 and I agree, not too young, not too old. I was stable financially and mentally...LOL
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    31 - I was married, in a stable relationship, in a stable job, educated, and I got all my partying days out of the way (well, aside from the randome girls night out). I was well travelled, and while I long for adventure still I know it's not because I didn't have the opportunity to have the adventures that I wanted to have but because I decided at the time not to take a chance on those adventures. I'm a pretty firm believer that it's better to spread your wings until 25 so you don't have to question what it's like later on. In many ways I know what the grass is like on the other side of the fence, therefore in every way I prefer to tend the grass over here.
  • annadavidson1984
    annadavidson1984 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I didn't get married until I was 29. I had my first child at 31 and my second at 34. Raising children is expensive, time consuming, and sometimes very frustrating! I would have made a terrible mother at 21, but that's just me. I think it is nobody elses business when you have children. That is a decision that you and your spouse/significant other must make. Having a kid because all your friends are isn't a good reason.

I also think you should be somewhat financially responsible when you have children. In other words you should expect to pay the expenses associate with having and then raising children.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I was 21...I was definitely the only person I knew at the time having a baby. My son was unplanned, and I really hadn't planned on having kids until I was around 30ish, if ever (the whole marriage and kids thing was just never really something I thought much about ). I lost touch with a LOT of friends when I got pregnant. It was like as soon as we graduated college everyone was off to grad school or to these awesome careers, and I was figuring out how I was going to raise a baby. I didn't tell anyone I was pregnant until after graduation...I think lots of people were REALLY surprised too (I know my uber Catholic family was).

Ideally, I'd have preferred to be older and have gotten my career started first, etc. But that's just not the hand I was dealt, and I think I've done pretty well considering! I've always done everything a year or two ahead of time, since I was always the youngest in my class (I was 17 my entire first semester of college), etc. Things were hard financially and I struggled a lot more than I'd wanted to in the beginning, but I think the experience made me a better person all around.

Now at 27, I'm the mom of the coolest 5 1/2 year old I know, and I'm in a happy, and healthy relationship with a man that I love. Marriage and more kids are definitely in my future plans, and I'm glad that this time around I'll be much better prepared.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    36 He was a miracle baby as I had been told the chances of me getting pregnant were 1 in 1,000.

Best thing that ever happened to me.:heart::heart: :heart:
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I got married at 19 and had my daughter at 23.

I wish I had waited a little bit longer to have kids but I wouldn't give her back for anything
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I was 30, 32, and 35. I enjoyed being older because I think it was less stressful. Now a lot of our friends are 5 or so years younger than us. Keeps us young I think. :)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I was 24. It was a good age for me. I don't think it's always about how old you are, but just about when you are ready. I def think 21 is too young. Go out and live your life, have fun, then have kids when you're really ready to settle down. I don't think anyone quite realizes just how much everything changes when you have kids until you have them. Make sure you are ready for that. My running is about the only me time I get these days. I'm fine with that, but if I were 21 I probably wouldn't be.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    My wife was about 26 or so. We had been trying for a few years - nature does not always cooperate when you want it to. Take your time, but be careful about waiting too long and assuming it will always be easy!

I'm glad we did it young. Being mid-50s when kids are teenagers sounds really tiring.
  • Argharna15
    Argharna15 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Had my 1st at 19, 2nd at 25, 3rd at 27. I do wish at time I had of waited. I was to young when I had my 1st my parents took care of him more then I did hes now 13 and we dont have a very good relationship.
  • kymillion
    kymillion Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    . I was 20 when I had my daughter .. 21 when I had my son.

I am thankful that I had them @ a young age, its not for everyone .. I didn't have a support network.. my family aside from brother had all "past.."

in a way they were anchors to keep me from going off the deep end and from being too rebellious in the light of being almost entirely orphaned..

otherwise I would have traveled...been wild and necklace .. I am now also the mother of 4 others their ages all together are 16,15 ,8,7 , 4 and 2 * never a dull moment ..* the eldest is a girl the rest are boys..

I wouldn't change a single thing, my only regret is the inability to travel with them as much as i would like ..

wait....if that's what you want to do.

As much as devoting my life to them has been a blessing I am truly a gypsy at heart .. I have to stay grounded for them ...but I would not have minded being able to just experience life on my own without the added dynamic of children right away.....

it just wasn't in the cards for me. Its not really a decision that anyone can make for you.. stand behind whatever you choose and live life to its fullest .
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    31 when my daughter was born. I wish that I would have had her say 27ish. We were not in a position to have a 2nd right away so she will be an only because I am too settled in my ways.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I had just turned 19 when I had my son and turned 21 5 days after having my daughter... :)
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I was 20, and it was not on purpose. I recommend waiting until you're at least 25.
  • secondchance82
    Options
    I had my children at 23, 24, and 26. Age DOES play a role, but so does maturity. I was married to my teenage sweetheart, and we divorced and the only thing I regret is having the children with my ex. I wish I would have waited later on in life (I'll be 30 this year) and had them with my current husband.

My husband had his one and only child when he was 19. We both wish we would have waited as well...especially since I cannot give him more children, and due to our circumstances...it would be very foolish even if we tried having more babies. So it's a blessing in disguise.
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I was 27 when I had my son and 31 when I had my daughter... For me that was the best time because I got all of my wild days out of my system.:wink:
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I felt this way when I was 21. Then I realized it was where I lived - I had grown up in a suburb, but moved to a rural area during high school. In the rural area, everyone was having kids. As I started to connect with more of my suburb friends (thank you Facebook!) I realized that this was a local thing. My suburbian friends were in college, starting careers, not married, many not even in serious relationships.

I can honestly say it will get worse every year. More and more people will have kids, and while it feels like "everyone" right now, it will really feel like everyone two years from now.... and then two years from that. But we waited until I was ready (he was totally ready at like 20. Me, not so much) and had my son at 26, my daughter at 28. I think that was a pretty good age. Although I did feel like I was far more tired with my newborn daughter than my newborn son, but I was working, going to nursing school full time and taking care of two kids.... so maybe that was it.
  • nifer1029
    nifer1029 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 37 and just had my first. Not only am I in a much better place financially and emotionally than I was when I was younger, I also got to enjoy my youth without having the responsibility of being a parent. Not that you can't enjoy yourself as a parent, but it does change EVERYTHING. You no longer come first and you will have no expendable income.

My 3 pieces of advice for people your age:

1. Enjoy your youth. It really does not last forvever.
    2. You are not as fat as you think you are.
    3. Put 10% of your paycheck into savings or some sort of investment account. And do not touch it. Really. I mean this. If I knew 10, even 5 years ago that I could budget the way I have to now, and had done it... My son would have quite the college fund and I would have a nice retirement fund. If you do this now, the amount of money you will have saved by the time you are my age will seem very monumental when you do decide to have a child.