How old were you when you had kids?

Options

Replies

• scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    26 with my first and 32 with my twins.

I am done I think. I kind of like the idea of having some freedom in my 40's. They will be older, easier and not so constant.
  • RobinShay
    RobinShay Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was 21 with my 1st. 26 with my second and 32 with my last (set of twins). I really enjoyed the space between my children. You will know when you are ready. give yourself time.
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had my son one month before my 21st birthday (he was an unplanned blessing), and I had my daughter when I was 25 (she was planned). All I can say is, raising kids is the hardest job you will EVER have. You will have little to no time for yourself, it is much harder to connect as a couple when you are trying to meet the needs of a child, and it is VERY expensive. That being said, I love both of my kids very much and I don't regret having either of them at the ages I did. Yes, I would like to have more time to do things that I want to do...and I would love to have more "alone" time with my husband, but what parent doesn't feel that way?

It is hard when I see other people our age going out every night, or just going out whenever they feel like it, but my husband and I will get to experience that too- it will just take much longer for us to get there. When other people are shuttling their kids back and forth to kindergarten, ours will be grown. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is good and bad in everything. Don't have kids before you're ready, but know that when you do choose to have them, you will sacrifice for them because you will love them more than you love yourself.
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I was 17 when I had my first daughter.
    I was 18 when I had my second daughter.
    They are 13 months apart
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant And had my first child at 32! I'm 34 now and don't plan on having anymore!! We wanted to wait until we could afford it!
  • Lil_MiSsSunshiNe
    Options
    to be determined......
  • jvizcarra
    jvizcarra Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would recommend waiting! I had my son at 17 and it was certinaly not a celebration within my family. I dedicated my life to my son and would not change a thing. But that being said I do wish that my pregnancy and child had been more of a celebration and a little bit less challenging. I do believe that the experiences we gain in life help us to better prepare for the joys and challenges of raising children! That being said here I am now at 42, recently married and loving life; travelling and being independant! I think you will know when the time is right!
  • skinyZ
    skinyZ Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i was 18 when i had my first child and i wouldnt change it for the world, i was a kid who didnt have any life goals and didnt really know where i was going, the responsibility of having a child helped me grow up now i know exactly what i want for myself and children and where i wanna be in 5 years and also how im going to get there.
    if i didnt have kids i would be drunk or high at a party, blowing my money on stupid things living at my mums and frankly doing f**k all so having children when i did was a good thing for me, having said that i dont think its a good thing for everyone
  • nboot1
    nboot1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was 16 with my first son, I was in 11th grade. I finished high school and I think i was a really good mom. My son is going into 8th grade in the fall with stright A's, he is a great kid and I would not trade him for the world. With that said I would never recomend having a child at that age. I left my sons father when he was three, and I married my husband when my son was seven. I now have two more boys (5, and 2) being married and planning children was a far better experience, everyone was happy for me!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I was 28 when I had my daughter and it was perfect. I got all of my partying out of the way and experienced A LOT before having the responsibility for another human being. And I feel like I am more giving and nurturing as a mother. I don't know that I would have been that way as a young mother.

I am 30 and we are trying for another one so we aren't having children too late.

If you don't feel like you want kids right now or that could give it your all, then wait. Nothing wrong with that. :flowerforyou:
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    It comes down to choice and personal circumstances really. My Mum was 20 when she had me- but she had been married for 2 years, and had a house & a husband with a good salary.

I'm nearly 29 and have not had children yet, but I'm glad as my circumstances have been different. I have had a long education, been to university and built a good career. I am unmarried and live in a rented apartment still in a city centre. I *personally* would like to wait a couple more years until I move into a bigger house outside the city, with good savings and get married- so approx 31-33 years old. However I am in a stable job and relationship so if it were to happen sooner by accident- no biggie we would work things out.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I was 20 & 22. I would have preferred to wait a few more years, but once I had my first...
    I was a good mom even at a young age. When we were in our early 40s we were on our own and financially able to do all the fun stuff we missed doing when we had our family young. We're now "young" grandparents and love it!
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I had my son when I was 25 and my daughter when I was 37. They're both keepers...but having a toddler while I'm dealing with my 40s can be trying sometimes!
  • Lisammy
    Lisammy Posts: 35
    Options
    I was 30 when I had my daughter :smile: I had 9 years of marriage before that...it was a lot of fun being with each other and getting to really know and appreciate each other completely. I'd advise anyone to wait, don't give in to pressures of people around you. Do what you feel is best for you :wink:
  • sweetmspea
    sweetmspea Posts: 87
    Options
    I was 26 when I had my one and only. I think I was much more able to enjoy her. You are so young still, I say wait until you get more established.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    My mom was 22 when she had me... and was done by the time she was 30... I had my first (and only at this point) child a few months before I turned 30... a college education and then being married to the right person was more important to me than having a kid early in my 20's... though I'm sure I would have had way more energy then.... but then, I feel like I am still 22 anyway. :tongue:
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    20, 22, 24 .. thank goodness cause I had a hysterectomy at 26
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    17 for my first, made things tough but wouldn't change it. had my other 3 all before 28. I like having them while I am young enough to keep up with them and participate with them... plus they will all be over 20 when I am 48 so my wife and I can enjoy some time together while we are still young enough :)
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I was 25, 28 and 30 when I had my boys. The only thing I may have changed was being married longer and enjoying the newlywed time before the first baby came. I was pregnant at my wedding and didn't know it.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I had my only child at the age of 17.. I say wait, enjoy life to the fullest then settle down to have a husband and children. I don't regret one bit but I had to grow up real quick..