How old were you when you had kids?

Options

Replies

• mmreyn
    mmreyn Posts: 2
    Options
    I was 26 when I had my son and had been married about 2 years. I ended up divorcing my husband, marrying my current husband 7 years later, and had my daughter when I was 38!
    There is NO rush for you to have children. Waiting is fine. You have plenty of time!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I was 19! but that wasn't by choice...!
    however..I'm glad I had my boys early and now I'm in my early 40's and hubby & I are living THE life! lol :)
    there are pros and cons to it all, the younger you are the more energy you have to run after them and they do require your attention 24/7 in the early days/years....but as you get older you gain more patience...its a personal choice but I'd say at 21 if I was you now I'd at least hold of til 25 :)
  • jankleberry
    jankleberry Posts: 508
    Options
  • GilGirl08
    GilGirl08 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am 26 and with out children. My husband and I decided to wait to get our careers started. We don't know when we will have kids but I do hope before I turn 30. Wait until you are ready, do not go with the norm of things. Our mom's had us when they were younger, but times are different. You do what is best for you two.
  • sdow
    sdow Posts: 71
    Options
    25, 28, 31 (Three kids) I don't think the age you have them matters (though you can be too young.) It is more important to know you are ready. You have to know in your heart. Wait until you know for sure.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I WAS 19 WITH MY FIRST, THEN 21. I WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING.
  • anouk3105
    anouk3105 Posts: 4
    Options
    I was 26 with my first and 29 with my second. I wanted children when I was much younger but there is no way that I was emotionally or financially secure enough to have them.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I was 18, 21, and 25. Love my kids and can't imagine life with out them but are there things I wish I had done, yes. If you want freedom wait to have kids because your kids become your life, you live for them.
  • Kyrosh
    Kyrosh Posts: 238
    Options
    I was 24. My mom was 24 when she had me. I think that it's a great age to have kids.. You've had your fun and want to settle down. At least, that's what I thought :-)
    But you have to decide for yourself, if you're not ready, then don't have kids!! They are a great responsibility for the rest of your life, not only until they are 18!!
  • theraylene
    theraylene Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've heard it said "Whatever you do--you'll regret it when you are 40!" I was 35 and 37 for my two children, and was a better mom because I waited.
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    i was 30 with my son, and 33 with my twins.

i wish i was a bit younger.. (late 20's).. but im glad i waited until i had gone through school and had some fun first!
  • victoriousnrltm
    Options
    I have 4. They were born when I was 26, 28, 30, & 32. Works great for us, I was ready!
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I had my first child at 19 and had all three my kids by the time I was 26! It was hard work but I wouldn't change it for the world, my boys are grown up, out of the house and married, I have a beautiful one year old granddaughter and I'm still young enough to have a life and realy enjoy some of the things I missed out on when I was younger - but with the added maturity and wisom that age brings!! :smile:

But everyone is different, and each situation is different - I don't think there is a wrong time or a right time, as long as you know in your heart when you're ready to add that wonderful bundle of joy into your life! :wink:
  • runwithmike
    runwithmike Posts: 173
    Options
    I was 28 and my wife was 25 when we had our first child.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    26 and 33. big age gap between them, I didn't think I wanted 2, then when we decided to try again it took a long time.
  • Tebbspcad
    Tebbspcad Posts: 233
    Options
    Had my first at 23, then 29 then 32 - Wouldn't change it for the world as I love them to bits but found it financially better in my 30's as apposed to struggling as much as we did when i was in my 20's. I feel like i'm just starting my career now though which is a bit difficult as apposed to friends who have made their amrk and now are having babies and can afford not to work....good and bad points either way!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I was 26. My husband and I were HS sweethearts and still married so we got asked ALOT! My reply was "I'm don't think I want kids" I practiced this will a stern don't ask anymore look :laugh:
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i got married at 19, bought a house at 21 and had a baby at 25. I think the longer you wait the better but that is just my opinion. I would not give up those years that the hubby and I had together as just the two of us for anything. I am now almost 30 and have decided the one child is enough. My little family is complete.
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Really?! WAIT!! There is so much more to life! Enjoy your youth and get a career! I plan on waiting 'til my 30s.
  • Becka_D89
    Becka_D89 Posts: 60
    Options
    I was pregnant at 17 - miscarried
    pregnant at 18 - miscarried.
    pregnant at 19 - had my son when i was 20