How old were you when you had kids?

Options

Replies

• Minner_Tinner
    Options
    I had my son when I was 16, my daughters when I was 18 and 20. My husband and I have been together 11 years and I can not tell you that I wish I would have waited. I got my children exactly when I needed them. I've been a mother for so long I don't know anything else. But as a mother I will tell you this. Get your dreams out of the way, set your life up, and spend as much time with your husband as you can before you decide to have a child. Go on dates as often as you can, sleep in on the weekends, travel at your own whim and after you have done all the things you love and all you're left with is the thought of a child, have a baby. Live YOUR life first because once that child is born your wants and needs no longer matter, you are no longer Number One and that's a hard awakening for a lot of people. Good Luck to you and God Bless.
  • ugmf12
    ugmf12 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was 21 for about 4 months before I got pregnant when I had my son... I would recommend waiting but I wouldn't change a thing. It has been one heck of a learning process; still learning. Now that I'm approaching 28 I feel more secure with my life and career choices and financially more sound than I was when I had him at 22. Taking care of child is TOUGH and no joke... I'm surprised I've made it this far ;)
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I was 37 when I had my first son, and two months shy of 40 when I had my second son. I didn't get married until I was 35, which is why I waited so long (I'm of the "old fashioned" view that one should be married before having kids, and it took that long for me to find my Mr. Right).

I think the ideal time to have children is in the mid to late 20's, because by then you've had some time to have fun and have more or less figured out who you are and what you want from life, but still have enough energy to be an active mother. Most people I knew who had them in their teens thru about 22 were unhappy because they felt like they were missing out on all the "fun" their friends were having, and some even ditched their kids with relatives so that they could go hang out in clubs and do all the stuff unfettered young women do. At the late age I had them, I was already at the point where my energy levels were low and I had trouble being an active mother. I couldn't actively play with them in the same way other mothers 15 to 20 years younger than me could with their children who were the same age as mine.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    36 when I had my son and 38 when I had my daughter!! So glad I waited....I had a lot of fun before hand!! LOL!!

35 with my first daughter 38 with my 2nd daughter. As she said, I too was having fun in my 20s & am totally glad I waited!! I would have missed out on lots of travelling and adventures!
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was 19 for my first and 23 (barely) for my second. I would suggest you wait. Lord knows you're young and have many, many moons left on your biological clock. (My mom was 43 when she had me and my husband and I thought about having another when I was 41.....but we already have six....his, mine and almost had an ours. Anyway, just because everyone else is having kids is not the reason to have them. While they are a tremendous gift, they are a lot of work and it's constant work. Parenthood is not easy, even if you have good, smart, well behaved kids. Even when you sleep you're listening for the kids. I wouldn't give mine back, but I sure am glad they're adults, for the most part, too. I enjoyed them, but I'm also enjoying the no-longer-tied-down me, too. Be careful of drinking....many a child has been created that way and with you knowing your biological clock alarms loudly when you've been partaking, it's probably quite risky. When it's truly time, you will know. Right now you're wondering if it is.....which if you're wondering enough to ask, it's probably not.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I am 29 years old (30 in January) and no kids yet. We got married when I was 24 and wanted to wait til we were older plus we weren't financially ready either. We want a baby in a year or 2 :smile: Wait and have fun while you can!!!! :happy:
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    35 and I'm glad I waited. I got to finish school, travel, enjoy my career and really explore my life. I love my little girl and am so blessed and happy I had her when I was older, for me, I'm so much more patient now then I was in my 20's.
  • Mountainbiker2015
    Mountainbiker2015 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was 29, almost 30 when I had my son. I was 26 when I married my husband and I wanted to be married for a few years before I had kids. He had 3 from a previous marriage so I was getting used to them every other weekend with them first before I brought any children we would have into the picture.
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was 16, 18, and 20.
    I had gotten married when I was 16. I had a TOUGH childhood, and was already raising my cousin. She was given to me when she was 5 months old. My husband and I are still married.
    We have always taken care of our kids, and no one helped us.
  • diamondmama11
    Options
    I had my first son at 21, daughter at 23 and adopted my second son at 31 (he was 2 when adopted). I wouldn't change it for anything but do wonder if I would have had better pregnancies later. I had really high blood pressure with both pregnancies and was told not to have anymore, at 23!
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I had my first when I was 20 and second when I was 22... they are now 12 and (almost) 10. They are the most wonderful boys ever, but if I knew for sure that I would end up with the same awesome boys, I would go back and tell my younger self to wait.

It is rewarding, of course, but it is HARD to be a parent... and now I am a single parent to them. Take the time now to really get set financially, emotionally and with your (future) husband - be 100% certain that it is what you both want, and that neither of you will feel like you've missed out on anything.

You are so young... you have lots of time :)
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    #1 - 21
    #2 - 28
    #3 - 30
    #4 - 35
    #5 - 37 (3 weeks ago :noway: )

And they're all with the same man... For whatever reason it took us almost 7 years to have our 2nd. Our 2nd and 3rd are 21 months apart.

I wish we would have waited to have our first until I was a little bit older (hubby is 9 years older than me). I can say that it's much easier to parent as an older parent. You're much calmer...
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    21......I wouldn't change the fact I had children young, as I will be young and able to travel once they're out of the house. When my oldest graduates high school I'll only be 39 :) Best of both worlds...energy to chase em when they're young, and energy to play responsibly when they're gone!
  • MzGotItAll25
    MzGotItAll25 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was 16 when I had first daughter, 17 with second daughter, and 23 with third daughter!
  • tlucas69
    tlucas69 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    #1 22
    #2 28
    #3 31
    #4 33
    #5 34
    #6 35

And I'm 36 now. I think I started at a good age but I never thought I'd have this many kids.....the last 3 are all 1 yr apart from eachother and that's hard!!!
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I got married at 14 and I was 15 when my daughter was born, miscarried at 16, had a son when I was 19, and another son when I was 23. I became a grandmother at 37.

My 26th wedding anniversary is in 9 days.

Would I suggest to teenagers that they run off and get married and have children? Not just no, but HECK NO
    Would I go back and change the decisions I made that have brought me to this point in my life? NOT A CHANCE
  • Josieimdoinmenow
    Josieimdoinmenow Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am 39 and have three kids. I was 19 with my first, 21 with my second and 23 with my third. I love my kids and like being a young mother but I am sure that if I had started later my kids would have not had to go through as much. When you are older you are more mature and being a mother is hard work. Right now they are 16, 18 and 20 and they are doing fine but I wish I would have done things differently and been more strict. I feel like I was really good when they were little but as teenagers it is so much harder. I wanted to be "friends" with my kids more when they started getting a little older (because I was young myself) and I allowed things that I should not have. Also not being fully established myself before I had them we have always had to struggle financially. The good thing is though... I am only 39 and my kids are almost grown!!! I will be a young woman still and not be tied down with small kids. I will be able to experience things now that I was unable to do as much in my 20's and 30's as I was busy raising them. I am excited about the next chapter in my life. Either way... there is never really a perfect time to have a child. It will totallly change you life in ways you never expected. Some are wonderful and others are hard, but overall having children is a blessing!!! I hope this helps!!!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I only have one and had her very young, but its nice to only be 33 with a kid whos graduated from high school :D dont know if I will have anymore
  • cazzamartinek
    cazzamartinek Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had my oldest son 2 days before my 18 birthday and my youngest when i was27:smile: im now 33 and we are going to try for another after our wedding in 6 weeks, i think that no time is right and no time is wrong i have loved being a mummy from when i was young and i have managed to work all these years and get some qualifications to , im about to start another course in sept sometimes it has been hard put the goodtimes far out weigh the bad we are blessed to have children so go for it whenever it feels right for you x x :happy:
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I had my kids at the following ages:

Yep - 4 of 'em.