Some REAL advice for bingeing

Options
Hi there! I'm Emily, and I'll be your therapist for the day. :) I see this topic a lot here on MFP, and I just wanted to chime in with some advice that I learned from my own therapist. I've noticed a lot of replies are supportive and understanding and great, but they don't really address the problem of bingeing itself. I was diagnosed with bulimia about a year ago, and I've just started this technique. And, guess what? It's totally working.

Here's what I want to remind you. The 'definition' of a binge is the consumption of large amount of food in a short time period. However, this is not always the case. The thing I most connect a binge with is lack of control! So whether your eating one serving of cake or the entire cake, if it feels like a binge, it's a binge.

Now, here's the deal: the longer you delay a binge, the LESS likely you are to actually follow through with it. Every MINUTE stalled should be a victory. Now, how do you stall a binge?

Try this. Take an index card or several and write down at least FIVE alternative things to do. Put these index cards in your wallet or purse or stick them to your mirror or fridge. Start with step 1, and if the urge to binge persists, move on to step 2 and so on.

My index cards look like this:

Step 1. Do a coloring page. (I keep coloring books and markers in pretty much every room of the house!)
Step 2. Take a 15 minute walk. (If the weather is bad or it's late at night, I skip this step and go on to step 3)
Step 3. Play a game of solitaire. (I usually use my phone so I never have to worry about finding playing cards.)
Step 4. Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom or tv show. (I watch How I Met Your Mother)
Step 5. Journal (Write down how you're feeling and whatever else comes to mind)

If you get through steps 1 - 5, and you still feel like you need to binge, DO IT. Your body and mind are telling you something. This is your way of coping, and there's nothing to be embarrassed about. After your binge, make sure you go back and journal again! Writing down the feelings associated with each binge will help you draw patterns between them, and the more you understand yourself, the easier it is to forgive yourself. (Always feel free to redo the entire list if you want!)

Maybe this isn't right for everybody, but I find my urge to binge is typically stronger when I'm sitting at home doing nothing -- so there's no excuse for me not to follow my index card. Tell me what you guys think. :)

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. I always set myself a time limit before I give into a binge (usually an hour) but this seems like a good strategy since it will give me something to do other than watch the clock and take a mental inventory of my fridge. More strategies are always better!
  • Bunnie_Rex
    Bunnie_Rex Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bump.....must try.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I binge weekly, so when the temptation comes, I have more resolve, knowing I have less than a week before my planned food orgy.
    I lost over 70 lbs doing this - LOVE IT:drinker:
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Great coping method! I rarely feel the urge to binge but for the times I do I'll definitely try this.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    thanks for this tip!!
  • jennifer072107
    jennifer072107 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    AHHH!!! WHy didnt you post this YESTERDAY??? lol I had a huge binge moment lastnight and went to bed feeling so sick. Thank you for this because I need to do this. tonight I delayed a binge and didnt give in so thats good. I just rememberd how I felt going to bed lastnight, and how disapointed I was in myself waking up!
  • SP2Bfit
    SP2Bfit Posts: 114
    Options
    Nice share Emily :flowerforyou:

I think a lot of us can relate to sometimes feeling out of control with food and your explanation of your strategy and how you implement it was wonderful. Thanks much!!:smile:
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice! I'm going to try it next time I feel the urge to binge..whether it's on 1 cupcake or a whole box of cookies! Thanks!
  • lewallenjen
    Options
    going to give it a shot, sounds like a good technique
  • Sacredmoonglow
    Options
    I loved the index card idea I will use it. Thank you so much !
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    "The thing I most connect a binge with is lack of control! So whether your eating one serving of cake or the entire cake, if it feels like a binge, it's a binge."

I remember another post about bingeing and there was an argument about what constitutes a binge - how much food is a binge. People were being discounted if their binge wasn't in massive proportions. So glad you posted the above.
  • amalthea23
    amalthea23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the coloring book idea. I might actually try that one.
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This feels like a weight was lifted. If it feels like a binge, it is. I am going to need you to add me as a friend!
  • pita1cat
    pita1cat Posts: 2
    Options
    Love the index card idea! My only problem is that I need to be more mindful......I am usually in the middle of a binge before I realize it! Any advise?
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    @pita1cat - This technique should help even during a binge! As soon as you find yourself bingeing, grab your card and do your first step! I've never done this personally, but it sounds just as good. Kudos to you if you can stop a binge right in the middle of it! :) Even stopping for just a few minutes can bring you back into control and make you more mindful. In fact, you may find yourself honest to God full already and decide not to carry on.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    "The thing I most connect a binge with is lack of control! So whether your eating one serving of cake or the entire cake, if it feels like a binge, it's a binge."

I remember another post about bingeing and there was an argument about what constitutes a binge - how much food is a binge. People were being discounted if their binge wasn't in massive proportions. So glad you posted the above.

I understand both sides of this issue. At one of my lowest points, my binges were 4,000+ calories! It got a little frustrating to see people call eating a cookie or a cup of ice-cream a binge. It's more anger at yourself than anything. It doesn't seem fair sometimes that your own binges can't be smaller.... But a few months later and continuing today, I found myself having smaller binges -- a can of ravioli or a single donut. I feel just as (if not more) guilty and out of control as I had eating 4000 calories. I go back and forth now and I'm starting to notice that small binges often have to do with actual hunger or happiness. My large binges are when all the negative emotions start coming in. :P
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    So, what are some other ideas that people are putting on their index cards?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    this is awesome. :) thanks
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I work in a fast food restaurant and a lot of the time before I know it, I start eating the crap we sell.
    What are some things you think I could do?
  • kmayne
    kmayne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you! For those times I need to gain some self-control. :)