Some REAL advice for bingeing

Options

Replies

• MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I like the ideas ... I actualy had the idea of a jar with little siips of paper. Draw one out and do that instead. But my problem is I KNOW THIS ... I just don't do it.

My problem has never been not knowing what to do ... I just don't do it. Sigh.

Also, I never thought of finally giving in to the binge as a good thing. I guess I can see your point, but i see it as an addiction, as detrimental as alcoholism. So I'm not sure how giving in is going to help ultimately. I've never felt 'relieved' after binging. I always feel upset.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea and I'm going to have to do this...Though I may skip the tv one..Just sitting in front of the tv, sometimes trigger the need for me to eat mindlessly..THanks for posting.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    This is great. Thank you.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Things I've used for a similar strategy include origami (I bought a kit made for kids), taking a bath, calling someone to chat and/or vent/unload, file paperwork, clean the bathroom, read a chapter in a book.

To the OP--I'm so glad that you've found a way to help with your eating issues! I've made a lot of progress with mine, thanks to therapy also (it's ongoing, but my eating habits are really becoming more and more "normal," which I never thought would happen). Way to go and thank you for sharing your tips and, most of all, your hopefulness.
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Wow, very good advice. One of the things I like about it is that while you are doing the 5 things before the binge it gives you a chance to think about what may be causing your desire to binge. If I binge, I eat whatever I want out of program so fast I don't even catch the first thought that may have caused it.
  • NorseMaiden
    NorseMaiden Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The index card idea is Great! Gives you something else to wrap your mind around! Thanks for the post! My binge coping method during my journey has been pretty simple. I feel the urge to binge...Whether I want a bowl of sugary cereal or a whole pizza...I leave the house. Go for a walk...a long walk...far away from the kitchen. Usually once I return all I want is a huge glass of water. I very recently had gallbladder surgery and now I can't use my escape from food method and it's had me on edge...I'm going to give your index cards a try!! Thank you so Much!!
  • laurenlind
    laurenlind Posts: 52
    Options
    I love this post, great advice!

Some other ideas:

-throw the ball to the dog 20 times
    -read a chapter in a book
    -do 15 burpees
    -call a friend you haven't talked to in a while (preferably call them while sititng on a porch or deck or something because sometimes talking on the phone can lead to a mindless binge for me)
    -keep a list of "house projects" (i.e. organize junk drawer, etc)- complete a project!
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I just had a binge Friday and although I know calorie wise it is not a huge problem, I hate the lack of control. You are right, it happens when I am at home with nothing really important to do. One minute, i am in control, the next all i want to do is eat something, anything.

Now, to make a list. I like the journal and the coloring page that you use. I think I will add 15 minutes of tetris, send out 5 MFP friend requests with messages noting my success so far and commitment and 200 crunches on exercise ball, which is something I like to do.

Once again, thank you for the suggestion.
  • cbarila
    cbarila Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    great ideas!
  • Jill1249
    Jill1249 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!! FINALLY someone gets it! I am a binger and addicted to food......it's true! It's a horrible thing to live with and can sabotage a weight loss journey. I will certainly try your tactics. Congratulations on your success!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Jauryn
    Jauryn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I work in a fast food restaurant and a lot of the time before I know it, I start eating the crap we sell.
    What are some things you think I could do?

Oh man, I worked at Taco Bell before and I can't even tell you how much of that food I scarfed down during the shift (and after when I worked nights and got to take the throw-away stuff home!!). Best advice I could give on this is make sure you eat before you work so you aren't hungry, and bring something healthy to snack on during breaks. It also helps to keep busy the whole time. If it's slow volunteer to do something extra, just keep busy, and keep yourself occupied!
  • glenoakchic2006
    glenoakchic2006 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I work in a fast food restaurant and a lot of the time before I know it, I start eating the crap we sell.
    What are some things you think I could do?

Oh man, I worked at Taco Bell before and I can't even tell you how much of that food I scarfed down during the shift (and after when I worked nights and got to take the throw-away stuff home!!). Best advice I could give on this is make sure you eat before you work so you aren't hungry, and bring something healthy to snack on during breaks. It also helps to keep busy the whole time. If it's slow volunteer to do something extra, just keep busy, and keep yourself occupied!

I understand this so well. I'm a manager at Taco Bell and I work 2 closes a week it is so hard to watch what you eat especially when you work in a fast pace high volume fast food store like mine. You don't even realize how many calories what you're eating has. I agree with eating before work and you could try to bring a snack, but the easiest thing would be to find something healthy your restraunt sells. I started out eating some of the highest caloried items on taco bells menu and now I eat chicken hard tacos and Dorito loco tacos among some other things all are 300 calories or less. Try to find something that can work with your diet and come from work.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Great! Bookmarking this
  • skybell12
    skybell12 Posts: 18
    Options
    awesome weight loss, how long has it taken you.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    FANTASTIC POST!!!!

I was told if you really what something, check the time and if you still want to eat after 20 minutes eat it, I've stood by that for years.

Read my blog and see how I loose weight while eating what I want...
  • louised88
    louised88 Posts: 159
    Options
    to the op, would you mind if i linked to this from my wall?
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to make myself up a notecard!!!

& my binging isn't usually like... an entire cake, as you used as an example- it could even be on generally healthy things, but the quantity and urgency of eating is what's the problem, and what makes me feel awful when it's over. A couple weeks ago I sat there and mindlessly snarfed down about 50 cherries in a very short amount of time. Yes, cherries are healthy, but 50!? In like, 5 minutes?! Absurd.

thank you thank you thank you
  • Anelj
    Anelj Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for posting this......I will try this for sure!
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    great advice........... thanks
  • brodreb
    brodreb Posts: 7
    Options
    great ideas! I head directly to food when I'm bored and/or emotionally stressed (especially after a bad/emotionally draining day at work). Definitely need to start using this kind of strategy to avoid heading straight to the kitchen.