what is your nationality?

Options

Replies

• RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Canadian Nationality

My ethnicity is 1/2 Scottish, 3/8 German, 1/8 Irish ...maybe a bit of Swiss in there
  • Mctree20
    Mctree20 Posts: 137
    Options
    100% English
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Nationality: American

My ethnicity is mostly Scottish
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    chinese....
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Filipino American
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    American.

Ancestry is a mix of Irish, English, German, Italian and Scotch.
  • schneidersas
    Options
    Belgium with German roots
  • MzBeckie
    MzBeckie Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    American : Native American (Dakota) w/German & Scottish.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    50/50 American and British
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm English, but have lived in Scotland for 25 years. I have Germanic roots from just a few generations back and Nordic and Scottish ones from further back.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    All of you interesting people ;) now go to this thread and answer this one! :) it's about food lol

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/637900-what-country-do-you-live-in-or-hail-from-and
  • Orrgarde86
    Orrgarde86 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    100% Swedish but I have lived in England for 11½ years.
  • mikejacobs1958
    Options
    South African (Afrikaans dad + Welsh mother)

now living in the UK, obtained my ILR status
    applying for British passport in October this year.
  • Ellas_Time_4_Change
    Options
    Palestinian
    Born and raised in United Arab Emirates
    Been living in New Zealand for 13 years!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I don't think you guys understand what nationality means. It's the country you were born or naturalized in. Your identifying nation also counts as your nationality too. So you technically can switch nationalities if you choose to revoke your citizenship in a country and become a citizen of another. Someone with a dual citizenship could have two nationalities also but both countries would have to allow a dual citizenship.

Your ethnic background and where your family is originally from is your ethnicity.

My nationality is American and my ethnicity is Haitian.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I don't think you guys understand what nationality means. It's the country you were born or naturalized in. Your identifying nation also counts as your nationality too. So you technically can switch nationalities if you choose to revoke your citizenship in a country and become a citizen of another. Someone with a dual citizenship could have two nationalities also but both countries would have to allow a dual citizenship.

Your ethnic background and where your family is originally from is your ethnicity.

My nationality is American and my ethnicity is Haitian.

But it depends on the country where you born with. Majority of the countries are mostly unicultural like in European (except UK), African & Asian countries so people tend to automatically equate nationality with ethnicity but if someone is from a multiracial country like US, UK, Canada, Australia or NZ then of course people don't expect it a similar way.

Like in my case, I was born in Philippines & therefore my nationality is Filipino. However given the fact that over 95% of Filipinos are Asians (Malays to be exact) so if I only say that I'm Filipino then people automatically assume that I'm of that ethnicity even though I'm mostly Hispanic (Spaniard, Mexican & Filipino) & identify more with Latino culture than the Asian one. Most the time in some unicultural countries, the natives think of mixed race people as different from them despite being of the same nationality. Same goes with a Caucasian who is born in Philippines, China, Thailand, Korea or an Asian born in Germany or Italy.
  • freeli
    freeli Posts: 43
    Options
    Mandalorian.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Oh I was just going with the actual definition of the word, not really what people take it as. I tend to see people confusing the two words pretty often.

It's like for example, if I were to travel outside the US and someone were to ask my nationality, if I said I was Haitian they would think I'm born in Haiti when I'm not.
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    From Trinidad :)
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Kiwi!! :bigsmile: