what is your nationality?

Options

Replies

• kateshape
    kateshape Posts: 25
    Options
    nationality canadian. ethnicity irish and french.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    Americans often seem to have a very specific national identity no? I notice this, people in America have a pride in the story of their heritage. In terms of recognised nationality, I have Puerto Rican and British (I took that test, I aced it!) hehehehe xxxx
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    But it depends on the country where you born with. Majority of the countries are mostly unicultural like in European (except UK), African & Asian countries so people tend to automatically equate nationality with ethnicity but if someone is from a multiracial country like US, UK, Canada, Australia or NZ then of course people don't expect it a similar way.

As someone who has extensively travelled Europe and currently lives in the UK I think this was probably the biggest generalisation I have ever read!

So you think Germany, France etc are "unicultural"?????? When have you last been there to come to that ridiculous conclusion???? :huh:

Victoria was spot on with her simple statement that people mix up the meaning of nationality and ethnic background. The two are not the same and often confused as many of the posts show.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Oh I was just going with the actual definition of the word, not really what people take it as. I tend to see people confusing the two words pretty often.

It's like for example, if I were to travel outside the US and someone were to ask my nationality, if I said I was Haitian they would think I'm born in Haiti when I'm not.

Yes you're absolutely correct & I don't disagree with you regarding that. At least in your case, its safer to say you're American or Haitian-American since US is a multiracial country unlike in my case being in an Asian country where it is unicultural. I would really like to just identify myself with the country that I was born with however in my experience, when I did this they automatically talked something about the typical foods like pancit that I really don't like, karaoke stuff & other things that I can't totally relate to then when I told them I don't eat this & I prefer that, they would say "but you said you're Filipino" which somehow makes me feel bad. Its not that I don't like the mainstream culture but its just that I've been brought up in a different way. So when they ask me, I just say that I was born in Philippines.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    nationality canadian. ethnicity irish and french.

Finally someone gets it right! :wink: :happy:

This explains it in simple terms:
    http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/politics/difference-between-ethnicity-and-nationality/
  • Onira76
    Onira76 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Australian...ethnicity Greek.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Reading back over the thread, it seems a lot of people understood the difference between nationality & ethnicity.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    But it depends on the country where you born with. Majority of the countries are mostly unicultural like in European (except UK), African & Asian countries so people tend to automatically equate nationality with ethnicity but if someone is from a multiracial country like US, UK, Canada, Australia or NZ then of course people don't expect it a similar way.

As someone who has extensively travelled Europe and currently lives in the UK I think this was probably the biggest generalisation I have ever read!

So you think Germany, France etc are "unicultural"?????? When have you last been there to come to that ridiculous conclusion???? :huh:

Victoria was spot on with her simple statement that people mix up the meaning of nationality and ethnic background. The two are not the same and often confused as many of the posts show.

Hey come on don't be mad. What I only mean is compared to the US or Canada where it has a sizeable population of immigrants from different countries which also makes it multicultural. Of course other countries has culture that varies from one province or city to another within the same country or with some immigrants but still the number of immigrants isn't that big compared to those countries I mentioned to make it soo multicultural. In other countries, there is a unifying culture that greatly defines those nations. Culture has nothing to do with the race. Even here where I was born, there are varying cultures also however there is that specific one that unifies the nation.
  • sandrahermione
    Options
    East German look Polish or Turkish.
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    just English
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Oh I was just going with the actual definition of the word, not really what people take it as. I tend to see people confusing the two words pretty often.

It's like for example, if I were to travel outside the US and someone were to ask my nationality, if I said I was Haitian they would think I'm born in Haiti when I'm not.

Yes you're absolutely correct & I don't disagree with you regarding that. At least in your case, its safer to say you're American or Haitian-American since US is a multiracial country unlike in my case being in an Asian country where it is unicultural. I would really like to just identify myself with the country that I was born with however in my experience, when I did this they automatically talked something about the typical foods like pancit that I really don't like, karaoke stuff & other things that I can't totally relate to then when I told them I don't eat this & I prefer that, they would say "but you said you're Filipino" which somehow makes me feel bad. Its not that I don't like the mainstream culture but its just that I've been brought up in a different way. So when they ask me, I just say that I was born in Philippines.

I wouldnt even say haitian-american since the term doesn't really make sense. If I can tell her person is confusing the two words I just tell them my parents are from haiti. Its sort of how being african american doesn't make sense for black people in america. They're american just like everyone else born here.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Nationality: British

Ethnicity: Mauritian
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    I am half poodle and half doberman
    lol ;-) wow me too
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    British :) however made up of Jamaican & Persian :drinker:
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    50/50 American and British

I stand by what I said - Nationality as per passports as above. Ethnicity isn't something I even think about, but I still go with both, because both parents had equal influence on me growing up!
  • aquitania
    aquitania Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% Croatian.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Italian (75%)/Slovak (25%)
  • mandybobs65
    mandybobs65 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    British, specifically English!!
  • geeksrule
    geeksrule Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    British by birth (lived there till I was 8)

But proudly Canadian!!!!
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    IRISH /HUNGARIAN