how do people react to being overweight in your country?

Options
Natashaa1991
Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
I'm Serbian but currently I study in China. In Serbia, being too skinny is considered as bad as being too fat-nobody is crazy about skinny girls. Serbian girls have good,lean bodies! They LOVE eating but don't obsess with eating healthy and they eat only when they're hungry.
I used to be more than happy with my body when I was in Serbia, I have flat stomach and round butt, slim legs (typical serbian) but ever since I came to China, I've been seeing all these anorexic people around, now I think I'm too fat and that I should diet, I WANT that skinny body that people from my country hate! Asian girls are so skinny, and they are always dieting. It's really really bad if you're overweight in China, everybody will stare at you.
What about your country??

Replies

• bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    They are anorexic in China because they can't afford food, not because of fashion trends. The general populace is not healthy.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Everyone in the US is fat.
  • KettleBellHoe
    Options
    big women in canada is pretty well accepted cuz everyone is overweight these days.
  • Natashaa1991
    Options
    don't be ignorant, there is so many rich people in beijing, everybody around here carry ipad and iphone, they CAN afford food. I'm obviously not talking about poor chinese villages, i'm talking about girls that live in the city, they ARE obsessed with being skinny.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    don't be ignorant, there is so many rich people in beijing, everybody around here carry ipad and iphone, they CAN afford food. I'm obviously not talking about poor chinese villages, i'm talking about girls that live in the city, they ARE obsessed with being skinny.

Don't be ignorant, you could have stated where in China you lived. What I saw personally in the villages was absolutely appalling human conditions.

Just reminding you to not be ignorant.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    In America, the media spins it so that skinny is the way to go. What's funny is that I saw an ad from maybe the 60s on Tumblr today for Brewer's yeast, I believe, saying that "Many women can add ten or twenty pounds easily with Brewer's yeast!"
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    They are anorexic in China because they can't afford food, not because of fashion trends. The general populace is not healthy.

Out in the countryside they are poor, but the girls in the city are typically well off and they dress very nicely which would indicate that they have money.

Anyway OP I live in America and fat is normal here lol. I've been to China (Shanghai & Beijing) before and I did feel really fat there :\
  • Natashaa1991
    Options
    i'm sorry i didnt mean to be rude. I live in Beijing.
    that's what I noticed, being skinny in US is soooo much better accepted than in Serbia, it's as bad as being fat.
    But here, if you're fat everybody's staring like crazy!
  • tehpounce
    tehpounce Posts: 64
    Options
    In the U.S. it is looked down upon but widely common. When I was in Okinawa the Okinawans' weren't AS obsessed with dieting but they still did it, they weren't AS thin as the girls I saw in Beijing, South Korea and mainland Japan. I always felt like I was massive over there even when i was at my thinnest. Now that I am quite big :( I am appalled by the idea of going back for fear of the reactions.
  • Natashaa1991
    Options
    i know right, they are so judging here.
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i live in orange county CA in a very beachy area, and it's definitely not very accepted here for anyone to really be overweight. in the summer, everyone walks around in their bathing suits, super tan, super blonde... somehow almost everyone here inexplicably turns blonde eventually. anyway, it's definitely a bit alienating to be overweight here.
  • tehpounce
    tehpounce Posts: 64
    Options
    I mean hell even when I was at my thinnest (128lbs) I fit into a Large or XL over there. :(
  • Natashaa1991
    Options
    sometimes i get clothes and then i find out it's like XL and i'm always wearing S.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I live in Romania at the moment and it's...kinda ehhh. No one really cares if you're fat, but people WILL tell you you are fat/skinny/whatevers with no emotion whatsoever, they will not gloss over your feelings about it. I've lost about 30 pounds since I started working at my school, I remember the cleaning lady once told me I was "short and round" with a smile on her face the whole time...and since I've lost weight I've gotten a mixture of concern/surprise/happiness depending on who tells me, but everyone has noticed. There are fat and skinny people here (way fewer fat people than the US though) and it is generally easier if you are on the skinnier side of things.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Pretty much this. Being overweight is honestly the norm.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I too live in Orange County, CA (and am naturally blonde but dye it red). I agree with the pp who said that it is not ok to be fat here.
  • Natashaa1991
    Options

Honestly, i cannot imagine living in such a country.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options

Honestly, i cannot imagine living in such a country.

I am not sure if "norm" is the word I would use. Being overweight is common, and I think over half the population is at least overweight. However, there is still a stigma attached to being overweight or obese, so I wouldn't consider it to be generally accepted.

I have been overweight or slightly obese (BMI of 31) most of my life, and have rarely been made fun of for my size, though it had been pointed out to me before. I live in Michigan for general reference.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    In Britain its becoming the norm and almost acceptable to be obese. Men have for many years patted their stomachs and said proudly that its "all bought and paid for".

Recently the government has started to point out to people that they ahve a weight problem, but we are becoming a bunch of couch potatoes who occaisionally waddle to McDonalds enmasse.

I've probably had more problems as a "skinny" (normal weight) person than obese people have as its considered acceptable to ridicule a slim person, but not a fat one.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    In the Philippines just like any other Asian country, being fat is not acceptable. Although there are some overweight people here also but mostly you will hear their family, friends or co-workers talk about their fatness. Also the ones who are considered overweight here are equivalent to average in the US & the obese here as overweight in US standards.

Being of mixed Hispanic (Spaniard-Mexican) & Filipino background, I always have a pear-shaped body with bigger hips, butt & generally bigger frame than most women here who the majority are petite & are naturally smaller frame. So when I gain weight, it is more noticeable than most people here so even if I only gained a few pounds, people will see it & pointing out that I'm starting to get fatty again.

EDIT: not to mention that I've encountered a lot of women who look thin & weigh only 48-50kgs & would like to get down to 40kgs because people tell them they start to look "fat", WTH!