how do people react to being overweight in your country?

Options

Replies

• BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Everyone in the US is fat.
    Pretty much this. Being overweight is honestly the norm.

Honestly, i cannot imagine living in such a country.

I am not sure if "norm" is the word I would use. Being overweight is common, and I think over half the population is at least overweight. However, there is still a stigma attached to being overweight or obese, so I wouldn't consider it to be generally accepted.

I have been overweight or slightly obese (BMI of 31) most of my life, and have rarely been made fun of for my size, though it had been pointed out to me before. I live in Michigan for general reference.

I agree with this. Although about half of the adult population is overweight or obese, it is not accepted. Having started with a BMI of 56 though, I would have to say that I was made fun of numerous times over the years for my size. I'm in southern Illinois.
  • labtracks
    labtracks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm currently an American in South Korea. South Koreans seem to be like typical Asians, smaller build and shorter and they have no problem telling you to your face that you are fat. You have to shop in special places or online if you are over a size 8 or have a chest larger than a B. That being said, it may come somewhat natural, but Koreans also seem to be extremely active with many walking, hiking, biking etc. all hours all year long and their diets are pretty healthy.
    I have noticed they sell pants with "butt pads" in them to give women more of a figure so I guess no matter how slim people may be there is always something they will want to work on or wish they had.
  • amysuespears
    amysuespears Posts: 127
    Options
    The obese population in the US has soared to a humongous proportion... it's quite sad and really a terrible epidemic that needs remedied. On the other hand, being super skinny isn't healthy either. I look back on former icons, such as Marilyn Monroe, and she had a healthy body with curves in all the right places. My husband and I were watching MASH last night, and I noticed the nice body that Loretta Swit has... she's fit, but not disgustingly skinny. It seems the US goes to the extreme... most people are either obese or stick thin. Whatever happened to it being acceptable to be healthy fit like these women were? Very sexy with nice slim bodies... but with actual hips. Hollywood is now filled with bone thin women who are 98lbs and just nasty looking. If you're 5' tall, 98 lbs is ok.. but not if you're 5'10. It's sad really.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

I'm hovering at 160 and almost cried this morning that I can't fit into my work clothes. (A year ago, I was 138.) I'm American, of Italian and Polish/Uki/BelRus heritage) and am the thinnest on my mom's side, fluffiest on my dad's as far as the women go. The rest of my family on mom's side are all extremely overweight, diabetic, hypertensive, and grandma needs a scooter because she can't walk from the car to the store, even in a handicap spot. THANK GOODNESS for the tall, thin Eastern European genes on dad's side...

I get lip from mom's side all the time about how I must have an eating disorder, how I'm going to end up in the hospital with an IV as a feeding bag because I'm clearly aneorexic (at 5'7, 160lbs, 30" waist, 46" hips), and that I need to eat more.

Having traveled, I've noticed that at my build, I am:
    - morbidly obese by Asian standards (Tokyo, Kyoto for sure) (I have Chinese family members who've commented on weight too)
    - spot on by Latin standards but only because of my curves
    - slightly bigger than average, in India (Hyderabad),
    - middle of the road in Bulgaria - Some of the women are supermodel thin (and gorgeous), some look like me. The older population is where I saw the most weight issues.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    this thread is a joke, correct?

Unfortunately its not
  • RollerDevil
    Options
    Some statistics...

_44342178_global_obesity_map416.gif
    _44342185_brits_obesity_416.gif
    _44330519_global_diabetes_map416.gif
    _44310527_global_child_obesity_gr416.gif
    9d769fa5b7a91d2549cd60dbaa38f14e.png?1340111619
  • RedVelvetCurls
    RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm in Dundee, Scotland. Here, most people are overweight. The latest trend appears to be letting the bottom inches of your belly hang out of your shirt to catch a sun tan. I think the UK has a problem with growing obesity rates. I was studying NHS figures at uni before the summer started and a good chunk of funds go towards surgery for people who have weight-related issues.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    The phrases "I'm a real women I have CURVES" and "I'm proud to be a big girl" is something I hear often....I usually would love to response with "no you're not you're obese, the curves will stay if you are truly curvy even when you get healthy" and "are you also proud of your certain heart failure?"

I hate the acceptance and almost pride in being overweight over here. Especially when I'm trying so hard to distance myself from being in that category.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    They are anorexic in China because they can't afford food, not because of fashion trends. The general populace is not healthy.

I read an article once, though I can't recall where, that talked about this issue. Even though they may seem rich, it's all outward appearance and the people who seem high society will starve themselves to keep status objects like nice cars, electronics and stuff to show off. Wasn't there a girl that nearly starved to death about 6 or 7 years ago trying to save money to pay for a fancy phone?

People staring never bothered me.. unless I was singing while I was driving and they couldn't hear the song. Then I assume I look like a howler monkey in heat. :(((
  • outspan87
    outspan87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I spent some time in rural Uganda and there, overweight women are in high demand (because being fat means you can afford to eat more). Me and another volunteer, who was a bit overweight, went to the school where we'd be teaching. The headmaster saw her and the first thing he said was: "Oh, you look so fat! You must be very strong, you'll be great for digging!"

Another time, he told me how there were no available fat women left in his village, so he had to walk 50 miles (80km) to the next district to find a suitable wife.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    There is a love hate relationship with people being overweight in this country.... I just love to judge people that are, yet we love to enable them as well...

Wait, I should include myself in this statement as well.
  • buffybabe
    buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    They are anorexic in China because they can't afford food, not because of fashion trends. The general populace is not healthy.

That is actually not true. Although yes the populace is not healthy there, the desire to be extremely thin in asia has nothing to do with the lack of food. My fiance is from Hong Kong, and I have visited South Korea and the girls in both countries are extremely thin. Even the extremely wealthy celebrity women there are VERY thin, TOO thin. It's a cultural thing, not a lack of money. When I went to Korea I was handed sizes XL and told that I was heavy, and I was 5'6" and 130 pounds. They just view extremely thin women as beautiful.
  • UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I live in Oklahoma - right in the middle of the Bible Belt - and eating is practically it's own sport here. Obesity is not out of the ordinary in the least, but I wouldn't say it's acceptable. I'm in my mid-twenties, and I already have many friends whose parents have had strokes and/or heart attacks. Very sad.

PS- I'm SO not looking to start a debate, but I saw this the other day and it gave me a chuckle due to lots of judgmental people full of excuses living here: "Oklahoma - where being gay is a choice, but being obese is "genetics".
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    America has become a nation of fat, lazy crybabies.
    Being fat is almost seen as a civil right - people don't even like using the word "fat"...lol
    And excuses? MY GOD!
    I am ashamed of my nation when it comes to collective health and fitness.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I spent some time in rural Uganda and there, overweight women are in high demand (because being fat means you can afford to eat more). Me and another volunteer, who was a bit overweight, went to the school where we'd be teaching. The headmaster saw her and the first thing he said was: "Oh, you look so fat! You must be very strong, you'll be great for digging!"

Another time, he told me how there were no available fat women left in his village, so he had to walk 50 miles (80km) to the next district to find a suitable wife.

What can I say? I'm proud to be Uganda :) lol
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Honestly, i cannot imagine living in such a country.

People stare if you're thin here, at least in my town, and assume I either are sick or drug addicted. I work in a store and the average size is 40 and above, both men and women. While I know 40 isn't heavy, the size 62 pants I sold the other day sure are!

I stare at the obese people... and I'm not talking about people on the cusp of obese and overweight... I'm talking, gotta waddle to get around... or even better, using a scooter. Personally, as an American, I don't find this acceptible AT all... and I am more likely to stare at the obese people than the fit or skinny people.... even as an overweight person myself.
  • outspan87
    outspan87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

What can I say? I'm proud to be Uganda :) lol

Where are you from? I was in the Kanungu district, in the south :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    America has become a nation of fat, lazy crybabies.
    Being fat is almost seen as a civil right - people don't even like using the word "fat"...lol
    And excuses? MY GOD!
    I am ashamed of my nation when it comes to collective health and fitness.

Yea & instead use the word "curvy" to make it sound better. I'm really offended whenever curvy is used for overweight people. I'm an hourglass shape at 34-26-35 with a rounded behind & am not even overweight. When I was at my heaviest weight, I was a big hourglass but nevertheless still an hourglass. See when your curvy, your curves will stay regardless of your size. However rolls of fat are NEVER curvy. I know the truth hurts (I've been there before) but if you want a major change in your body, learn to accept the F word as it is & never use curvy as an excuse unless you're a pear-shaped or hourglass shaped.
  • BTag3
    BTag3 Posts: 14
    Options
    The phrases "I'm a real women I have CURVES" and "I'm proud to be a big girl" is something I hear often....I usually would love to response with "no you're not you're obese, the curves will stay if you are truly curvy even when you get healthy" and "are you also proud of your certain heart failure?"

I hate the acceptance and almost pride in being overweight over here. Especially when I'm trying so hard to distance myself from being in that category.

I'm not so sure it is acceptance and pride. I would say they are hiding their true feelings behind false pride. I don't know one overweight person (I'm in Texas) who wouldn't love to lose the weight... they just think its too hard to give up the social eating or comfort eating when they are feeling bored or depressed. I have family members and friends that are VERY overweight and have health issues because of it. They want to be healthy and participate in sports and games like they did when they were in high school, but don't have the willpower to make the commitment necessary. They will say things like they are just "curvy" or that the average woman is a size 16 so its no big deal... but they know its a cop out. For heaven's sake, they can barely move!! It's just easier to reach for the mac n cheese and watch TV than to get on a treadmill or head out the door for a long walk. It's a shame. I've told them all about MFP but when they hear they have to count calories and log in they tune me out. To much trouble and accountability, so they would rather go from one fad diet to the other for a few days and then back to whatever they were doing before so they can say they "tried." My Asian friends are all smaller but much smaller frames so I don't try and compete with them. I think my "mutt" genes give me a better shape and much better legs so its a trade-off. ; )
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada.. overweight people are not the "norm" here. There are a lot of them, but not enough for it to be the norm. I just look at them and feel sad for them. Sometimes I'd like to go talk to them and give a pep talk, like advice and maybe my phone number if they want help.