uterous removal???

Options

Replies

• Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I had a tubal ligation for birth control... love it, though it did take some time to recover from (like 9 months, fully). I had a friend that had a hysterectomy and still has her period! I can't explain the mechanics of that, but there you go.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Had my uterus removed when I was 32 (i'm 55 now). Left my ovaries in so I did not need hormone replacement until I started menopause. no problems. Would do it all over again without hesitation.

This... my mom did this when she was 28 years old (had to actually as her uterus collapsed after the birth of my sister). She has had no issues at all...and no periods to deal with (bonus!). Now she is menopausal age but is getting no symptoms of menopause yet either...
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation as you-- very anemic and taking a dive every month with heavy periods. I myself don't think highly of uterine ablations. I have two friends who have had them done, only to have no positive result at all. My doctors have recommended them to me in the past, but I can't bring myself to do something so disruptive that may not even help at all. Same goes for the laparoscopic procedures they recommend for my endometriosis; a good friend has had it done three times, but it always comes back within six months. Since I'm not in a socialized location, these procedures are REALLY expensive, and I refuse to do ones that may not work.

I understand that getting a vasectomy may actually be more expensive, things are totally different in social health schemes. His would be an unnecessary elective procedure, while you have significant medical need. Many of the women in my family have had hysterectomies, and they all did very well with them. I want one myself, but my insurance company won't help since they think I'm a "bad candidate" (because I've not had children and am "only" 29 years old). It's frustrating.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    I meant to say to the above post thank you for reading what I wrote and understanding my problems :). I will definitely have a long discussion with my doctor tomorrow.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    with tubal ligation don't you still get periods??
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    curious about uterine ablation? Can anyone explain that to me? Is it birth control too?

basically uterine ablation is where they cauterize the inside lining by using a laser or a balloon filled with heated saline. The lining of the uterus gets scarred and cannot build back up, therefor you cannot have a normal period. They won't do it until you are done having kids since it usually causes sterility
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Removal of uterous at 31 now 42.....can not put in words how much better life is. No periods, from having 3 that lasted 7 days each in a month before. May have had one good week a month. I still have my ovaries and no meds are necessary. Happy Dance without the uterous....never felt like it before.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    with tubal ligation don't you still get periods??

yes, you do. A tubal ligation basically keeps the egg from getting from the ovary to the uterus. A period is shedding the lining of the uterus, and that happens no matter if there is an egg released from the ovary or not.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I had endometrial ablation, cost of two copays - best money I ever spent!
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy when I was 28 due to a cantaloupe sized fibroid. I still have my ovaries and have had no issues. If you think it's something you should discuss with your doctor, by all means, have the dicsussion. However, it can be very invasive. Just do your research to make the best choice for YOU.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    It would be best to speak to your doctor about this, he or she would be more familiar with your medical condition and what would be best for you.
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had a total hysterectomy 3 1/2 years ago. I am now 43. BEST THING EVER!! I had endometriosis and my dr insisted on taking the ovaries too- I was on the lowest dose of estrogen for 1 1/2 years- off of it now- still haven't gone through menopause. :-/ But, feel GREAT!! My doc also did it vaginally- non invasive- VERY fast recovery! Stayed in the hospital 1 night- was BLAH for about a week- Felt good after 2- great after 3- had clearance for everything after 4. Really depends on why you want it done. For me- it was the BEST THING EVER!!!
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    try to keep the ovaries
  • cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If getting your husband sterilised will cost a lot of money, a hysterectomy (uterus removal) will cost WAY more. It is major surgery. It carries a lot more risk than vasectomy, requires general anaesthetic and vastly longer recovery time.

This! way less invasive for your hubby.
  • MissMel1984
    Options
    I haven't read all the other posts. I am about a year out of my Nurse Practitioner. Having a hysterectomy d/t the amount of bleeding you are having is an option. I don't know your location, but here in the states they are now doing a hysterectomy w/ just a scope. That is minimal down time...like one week compared to 4 weeks. If you can keep the ovaries, they will provide the estrogen and progesterone you need. You will still go through menopause because the hormones will slow down that are secreted by the ovaries. The only reason I would suggest getting the ovaries removed too is if you have major cysts or ovarian cancer, otherwise leave them. Taking oral hormone replacement therapy in such a concentrated form can increase your risks of breast cancer.

Getting the hormonal IUD can slow the bleeding. Personal experience, I have one, and don't have a period. It took several months to get to that point though. If you are having the bleeding that you are talking about, it may slow it, but there are other issues that need to be addressed. Do not get the non-hormonal- you will still have the bleeding.

I hope this helps, and I am sorry if I duplicated responses!!
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure in the next few years I will have to have mine removed. The females in my family that use their reproductive system seem to have them removed by the time they are 32. I look forward to it. I hate dealing with issues in that department, but I would speak to your doctor.. He/She and yourself know your body better than we would.
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This lady is fabulous! Check out her website: www.drnorthrup.com
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I had heavy bleeding as well, and had a uterine ablation several years ago. It is outpatient, not major surgery like a hysterectomy. Best thing I ever did.

I was going to say this. If you're having serious bleeding issues, this would be a reasonable option to look into and discuss with your care provider. As far as not wanting more children, having your tubes tied would be something to look into that wouldn't be as drastic as a hysterectomy.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i would suggest an IUD.

no periods, no babies to worry about for at least 5 years.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy when I was 27. They left the ovaries so I didn't go through menopause. I had no problems at all.