uterous removal???

Options

Replies

• trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    Options
    Had my uterus removed when I was 32 (i'm 55 now). Left my ovaries in so I did not need hormone replacement until I started menopause. no problems. Would do it all over again without hesitation.

This^^^ Did it last year at age 44 and also was very anemic with lots of fibroids. Kept ovaries. No problems. Wish I had done it years ago!!!
  • trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    Options
    Also, people think removing the uterus is some giant surgery. It is major surgery with anesthetic and all, but it is generally done laproscopically so it isn't quite as invasie and the recovery is much quicker. Three tiny scars on my belly - one on each side plus belly button. I was back to work in 10 days...

Talk to your doctor - it doesn't have to be that big a deal if you are fairly healthy - if you have heavy periods and anemia, it is worth serious consideration!!
  • asb46
    asb46 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy about 8 years ago due to fibroid tumors. Coincidentally, a very painful, heavy period was starting just as I was going through preop. They gave me some Valium for the pain...now THAT was a happy period!...but I digress...Whether to keep your ovaries depends on the reason for your hysterectomy and your history. If your ovaries are healthy and you have no family history of ovarian cancer or polycystic ovaries, AND if your doctor determines you are years away from menopause, then you may want to keep them in and avoid the sudden plunge into menopause.

I kept my ovaries, with the doctor's prediction that I was about 10 years from menopause. She was wrong; I got my first hot flash about 3 years later, and 4 years on am just now starting to see the symptoms ebb. You WILL EVENTUALLY go through menopause anyway, whether or not you have your ovaries removed. Your choice is: gradual or sudden.
  • jeanie402000
    jeanie402000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had this done in 1990 when I was 30 due to a prolapsed uterus. The OB/GYN that did the surgery did it "vaginally" and let me tell ya, I would NOT recommend having it done that way. If I'd been given a choice, I'd have had it done abdominally (or whatever option they had at that time). The recovery time was pretty quick. But the doc ruined my vaginal walls and sex hasn't been the same since. Not having a period was a blessing.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    i would suggest an IUD.

no periods, no babies to worry about for at least 5 years.

The no periods part is only for women with healthy reproductive organs. I had an IUD for over 5 months and I bled ever single day of those 5 months due to my endometriosis....
  • irisheyes42us
    Options
    Hey Lara,
    I had a total hysterectomy in '91, and did not take hormone replacements for years. My body leveled out and I was OK. Then later I realized that I needed them for protection for my heart and bones. I also got dry in that area and this helps. I take estra-test which is estrogen and testosterone. This also helped me make sure I had appropriate levels for sexual arousal, which can be a problem too after hysterectomy. I had my fallopian tubes removed too though. So I would talk to your doctor about this. Deb:flowerforyou:
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    thanks for all this info. I think from all that I am reading that getting my uterous out and leaving the ovaries in sounds like a good solution for me.
  • annttvldz
    annttvldz Posts: 21
    Options
    I had a tubal ligation for birth control... love it, though it did take some time to recover from (like 9 months, fully). I had a friend that had a hysterectomy and still has her period! I can't explain the mechanics of that, but there you go.

I got a tubal ligation after my last son was born and I bled like a stuffed pig every month, I had a hysterectomy when I was 33. The dr left my cervix in, which was supose to be better for the bladder and easier recovery. I still got my period every 29 days! Even without the uterus! There was still edometrial tissue on the cervix which caused the 'periods'. My dr said there is no magical line to cut on when doing a hysterectomy and theres only like a 5% chance of this happening. So eight months later I had my cervix removed.

After that, it was the best thing I have ever done! I would do it again in a heartbeat! But this time I would take it ALL out!

I do have my ovaries still.
  • khloee1
    khloee1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the posts...Hysterectomy is only done when there is an unhealthy uterus. If I understand your question correctly...you are anemic and having periods complicates your anemia. Like someone else stated Uterine Ablation is one way to go. Another option is Depo Provera...a injection given every 12 weeks a from of birth control which usually stops women from having periods. A regular Paraguard IUD (copper one) will most likely cause you to have heavier periods and cramping. A Mirena IUD might also stop periods. Talk to your doctor...I'm sure he will give you great advise. I had a hysterectomy and it was really hard post surgery...especially with my 3 kids. I also kept my ovaries so no hormones necessary. Good Luck!
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I had that procedure that's done in the doctor's office where they put little springs of metal (can't think what the doctor called it but very very small metal things) in your fallopian tubes and then in 6 weeks they scar shut and you are sterile. I had the procedure done while I was awake with taking a valium and then 3 hours later I went to dinner with my husband. It was very easy and the insurance paid all of it! Good luck to you!
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It's called Essure!
  • determined136
    Options
    It has been one year today for me....best thing I ever did! :laugh: :blushing: I was also anemic and very weak. I was able to keep my ovaries.

I have not one regret except....I didn't do it sooner!!! I would encourage you to go through with it if the doctor thinks it would help you!
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    The hormonal IUD has been really bad for me, pimples, hair falling out, lots of bleeding, PMS all month, not a pretty picture. I had the non hormonal one before and it falling out when I got them switched. I am getting the non hormonal one back in tomorrow in order to prevent pregnancy but that still doesn't solve the problem of bleeding and my anemia. I will have to have iron infusions for the rest of my life. I live in Denmark. There is socialized medicine here but male sterilization is unnecessary and elective where my procedure would be more on the needs basis. If I was regular, bleeding only 3-4 days out of the month, I would leave it be but that is not the case unfortunately. If taking the uterous out could prevent pregnancy and unnecessary bleeding, it could be a good, convenient and free solution for me. I am not afraid of surgery. I think modern medicine is amazing!!
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    Hormonal IUD's get rid of only 20% of women's periods. I am unfortunately not in the 20%. I have had it in 7 months now. My acne is ridiculous, this month I got some on my back, I have had a spotty period since the 25th of last month, still bleeding today, only had 5 days break and my period before lasted 14 days. I cannot wait to get the Mirena out of me. I am soooo tired all the time. With the non hormonal IUD at least my periods were only 8 days long. I don't like taking pills, I cannot remember to take them and hormones really mess with me. I have done the shot a long time ago. Definitely want a more permanent solution. My doctor also happens to be my good friend so I know she will listen to me and will want what is the best for me. Thank you all for all your stories, knowlege and experience. It means a lot to hear it from people who have been through it. xxxxoooo
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Never had a hystarectomy as I am only 25 and want children still, but I get what you are saying about the bleeding. I myself have been on the depo provera shot since I was 18. After the first three injections I stopped having a monthly cycle all together. I have had a cycle here or there over the past two years but that is because "real life" is a lot more stressful than school...lol, and stress triggered my cycle. Other than that I haven't had any problems with it. No weight gain, no bleeding, no PMS! If you are looking to do something a little bit less extreme you could talk to you doc about this option too. My mother who is 44 is also on it and has been for several years. Same thing...no monthly cycle...no bleeding!
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    If getting your husband sterilised will cost a lot of money, a hysterectomy (uterus removal) will cost WAY more. It is major surgery. It carries a lot more risk than vasectomy, requires general anaesthetic and vastly longer recovery time.

Hysterectomy is Major surgery! Recovery can be difficult. Not to be taken lightly. Leaving the ovaries is not always an option depending on your age and risk factors for some cancers. Both vasectomies and tubals are less invasive, cheaper, and quicker to recover from.
  • tj1971
    tj1971 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had a laproscopic hysterectomy 2 years ago. I still have my ovaries so no hormone issues. 3 small incisions and yes I was sore a few days but would do it again in a heartbeat. I went home the same day also. One of the best birthday gifts I ever gave myself! :smooched:
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Had mine yanked out 3 years ago. Left the ovaries. BEST decision I ever made. Next to having my kids.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    Again, there is no medical need for my husband to be sterilized so that would cost waaaaaay more than a surgery for me because I have a medical need. Most likely, since my situation isn't life threatening, I will be put on a loooooong waiting list. So, in the meantime I will need birth control. I had the non hormonal IUD for 4 years before I switched to the Mirena in November. It was falling out so I am glad that I got it changed buuuuuut the Mirena was not good for me at all. I will go back to the non hormonal IUD while I decide the next step. I appreciate all this feedback, especially from the people that read, empathize, and understand what I wrote. I am also appreciative of the anemic ladies that have shared their experiences. It definitely is helping me make my decision.
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had heavy bleeding as well, and had a uterine ablation several years ago. It is outpatient, not major surgery like a hysterectomy. Best thing I ever did.

^This. Totally. My periods were very, very heavy and lasted well over a week with major PMS. The uterine ablation was a life-changer.

ETA: After the ablation, I continued to have periods, but very light flow and only for 2-3 days a month. It alleviated almost all of my PMS symptoms also, although my doctor had told me that the PMS relief was possible but not guaranteed.