Do you go to the gym alone or with a buddy?

Options
catshark209
catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
Why or why not? I like going alone. That's just me. I did have someone that tagged along with me for a while but she held me down in the sense she wouldn't get off the treadmill and I wanted to do other things, and she also grew impatient while I did my thing and I felt hurried. So I started going alone.
Thoughts?

Replies

• Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I go alone, but I would really like it if my boyfriend came to the gym with me, even if we did totally different things while we were there. I wouldn't like someone following me around the gym!
  • deep220
    deep220 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I also tend to go to the gym by myself. I like to be able to go at my own pace and change things up. I will drag someone along with me when they have been complaining about not going. But that is about it. Once there I tend to do my thing and if they want to follow along cool if not we each do our separate workouts.
  • pundas
    pundas Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I like going to the gym alone. I hate going with a friend. I used to go all the time with my friend but honestly I like doing my own thing at my own pace. I don't like talking to people when I'm there, I like to do my thing and then get out. For me, its my personal time to be alone and concentrate on myself. I can't concentrate how I want to if I have someone there who just wants to talk.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym solo at lunch then lift with my power lifting crew at night. Cant say enough for having spotters if you want to go all out.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I like to go alone too. That way I can do what I want without having to worry about anything else.

I want to do some cardio machines and read my book? Great!
    I want to do some lifting? Great!
    Planned on being there for an hour and oops, now it's longer? Great!

No need to try to check in with anyone and see that they are still good to be there and try to chat while I am focussing.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I love going with someone... its fun...i kicked my neighbors butt last week and she texted me that she had trouble going down the stairs and thank you...hahaha!
  • Shakila87
    Shakila87 Posts: 70
    Options
    I go alone. My friends are nowhere near in the same shape I am in they will slow me down. I wish I could find a work out buddy though!!
  • f1ctional
    f1ctional Posts: 235
    Options
    I'm a loner. A rebel. Its kind of nice to go alone, get away from all the "normal" day to say stuff and be alone with my workouts and my thoughts.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I go alone. It's my "me" time. I'm too focused on what I'm doing to socialize much. If I feel like socializing then I go to a fitness class.
  • LoserKat2012
    Options
    I go with my husband but going alone never bothered me. Although my Hubby and I go together we actullay do our own thing while we are there.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    ALONE. That is my time! I pop my ear buds in and go for about 90 minutes. It's my time to sweat, collect my thoughts, think things through....whatever. I've never been one to rely on other people though. I used to go with a friend years ago before I got "serious" about weight loss. Looking back, she was a distraction for me.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Alone.

Used to go with a work colleague, but found we were doing exercises at her pace which did not really suit me. Work out once a week with a PT, but we do what suits me as I pay him :bigsmile:
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've worked out with the same friend for years but if she is not available, I go anyway and catch up with her later on.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    I much prefer to go by myself. I try to follow defined rest times between sets, and having someone there just slows me down.

For the most part when I am at the gym I do not really talk to anyone either. I say hello to other regulars, or some trainers I see all the time, but my headphones are on and I am focused on what I am doing.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Alone. I like to be in, do what needs to be done, then out.
  • wwoelbel
    wwoelbel Posts: 23
    Options
    Going "to the gym" is a bit different for me right now. I swim and have laid off the dry land workouts (for now). The best thing I did for my health and my workouts was to join a masters swimming team. I work so much harder in a group than I did by myself.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately have to go alone I lost my gym buddy she wimped out on me. Id love to have a gym partner...at least Id have a spotter and would feel more comfortable lifting more
  • Jem_Girl
    Jem_Girl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Scheduling-wise, I prefer to go alone. I want to go when it's convenient for me without having to juggle someone else's schedule along with my own. However, I have tried to make some workout buddies at the gym so that we would all have people to look forward to seeing at the gym as a motivation to keep coming back. It seems like they all give up after a week or two (maybe they just do the trial period and then don't buy the package). 'Course, I disappeared for a long time after my surgery (way more time than I needed for recovery), so I suppose they're not the only ones to have given up, at least for a while. Now my gym seems so deserted that it's unusual to have more than one other person there. :ohwell:
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I go alone, that's my time for me!
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I go alone for weights and cardio, But i end up chatting between sets to regulars. I'm lucky my gym is so friendly. I wouldn't want to change it now. Ive been to some clique places before. Most of the regular people at my gym have been big or are working down from big.
    My fiance comes with me a few times a week for swimming.