Do you go to the gym alone or with a buddy?

Options

Replies

• wardf
    wardf Posts: 33
    Options
    I go alone as do the majority of the people on here seem to. But I use the gym in my home, sooccasionally my wife will work out with me, but typically she is away 3-4 days a week.
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I usually go with a friend if we are doing a fitness class but when I'm doing my own routine I usually like to do it on my own!!
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    greasygriddle_wechnage Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    me, myself and I
  • ellesbelles57
    ellesbelles57 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I much prefer to go with someone - not to workout together but because if I arrange to go with someone or even meet them there then I feel committed to do so. Once there I tend to do classes anyway so it makes no difference if I go with someone or alone.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Alone. I'd love to have a buddy but I can't find one and I'm not looking very hard because I think it would end up being another excuse to not go when they don't go.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I go alone mainly because I can't get anyone to go with me lol.
    Which sucks when I want to do free weights and have no spotter.
    When it comes to running I prefer to be alone, if I do the elliptical it's fun to have someone to talk to.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    ALONE!!! Working out is my ME time... I get lost in my own world when working out...
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Mostly alone - I got a membership that I can bring a guest, some times I can get the hubby to go, but often it's me alone.

Keep trying to get my friends or fellow coworkers, but nobody has time or everybody is working.... sigh
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I used to go with my boyfriend. No, we didn't act like fools in the gym, but since we were both trying to get healthier it was good motivation for us. We'd meet there, rotate in and out for strength training together and then do the elliptical next to each other. It was a healthy date! lol.

I actually just quit my gym, though. I ride my bike to work and when I get back from vacation I'm starting yoga at a studio. I needed to change up my routine.
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I go with my best friend! We are super understanding when one person wants to do another thing, and we don't get offended. However, we've been friends for about 14 years, and to be friends that long takes a lot of patience and understanding of each other. So, I can see how going to the gym with somebody besides her would be difficult. I also go to the gym with my madre, but she's my madre, and we've got this whole crazy mother daughter connection thing and we are very compatible workout wise. haha
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Alone, I can get in my zone, noone rushing me or interupting....I feel I get more done. Turn the tunes on and go!!!
  • nayj90
    nayj90 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I go with a buddy, but it's for accountability, not to actually work out together. He has his routine, I have mine. But, we find each other and check in to make sure we are there. The accountability makes sure I get out of bed at 6am when I would rather be sleeping!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I go alone usually. Sometimes I'll go with a friend but we show up/leave together, do our own things while we're there, or we'll go to a class together. I don't find the gym to be a social thing, so I'm totally content to just get in, get out, and move on with my day.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    By myself, I brisk walk/jog with my ipod and I have a gym in my house. There are some days that I'll do weights with the hubby, but he drives me nuts so it's doesn't happen very often.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    When I started working out in February, my friend and I agreed to keep each other accountable for missing workouts. Sadly, she has chronic migraines, so she misses many workouts. I do like when she comes--chatting with her makes our time on the treadmill go faster. Since I AM dedicated to getting back in shape, I go 3-4x a week whether she can go or not. As a result, I have lost 17 pounds, and she hasn't lost a thing....
  • tcbutler
    tcbutler Posts: 146
    Options
    Well, since tearing both rotator cuffs and more within the last 10 years, I don't do any heavy lifting any more so I don't really need a spotter. I like to do total body workouts, doing supersets and using multiple bars, etc, and this takes up a good portion of the small weight room we have at work, so I like to workout alone. That way I don't get in anyone else's way and vice versa.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I guess it all depends. I work out at home and I prefer to be alone because I'm either lifting weights or running on the treadmill. If I'm outside walking I prefer company.
  • StrongerJess
    StrongerJess Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I go with my boyfriend. He is super supportive of me, and he makes me feel way less self-conscious since I am usually one of the biggest girls there. He makes me feel comfortable and we push each other to make the most of our hour there. :smile:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I used to go alone, but now I go to classes at my gym, and I like it.
  • DOElston
    DOElston Posts: 102
    Options
    If a friend or family member goes with me, that's a bonus. I usually go alone because it's more important to go than wait around for someone else to join me.