Other people's kids

Options
BAMFMeredith
BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
The whole "Anyone else NOT want kids" thread got me thinking about this...

I am a proud mother of a 5 1/2 year old boy who is basically the bees knees. And I think I'm a pretty great mom. But when it comes to other people's kids...I am SO FREAKING AWKWARD. I was never one of those teen girls who liked babysitting (I was only in it for the cash lol), I never really dreamed of having a bunch of babies, etc.

When I'm around other people's children, or if a friend of mine asks "Hey can you keep an eye on so-and-so for a minute?" I am just so incredibly awkward. I feel kinda bad, but I NEVER offer to babysit my friend's kids, even if I'm just hanging out at home with my son. I'm just so not good at watching other people's children! My son's birthday parties? Omg, I nearly panic with all the children around. I could never be a teacher or work at a daycare or anything like that---I am just not good with groups of children whatsoever!

My bf, on the other hand, is like the damn baby whisperer--kids flock to him! When he met my son for the first time, it was like they'd known each other since lil man's birth. The bf is just so great with kids and is that fun uncle/cousin at family get-togethers that all the kids want to play with. I'm basically in awe of him around kids, and I totally let him take the lead when we're around groups of kids.

Anybody else like me? You're great with your own kids, but when it comes to other people's children you're just awkward and uncomfortable?

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    outside of family and friends, I am not the biggest fan of kids. I'm just not patient. I LOVE LOVE LOVE MY kids, but like you, I am not offering to keep others kids, unless they are playing with my kids. I babysat and liked it well enough, the money more than sitting in some strangers house and even worked in a daycare for my first job, but it all comes down to I have no tolerance or patience for other people's kids. If I can't reprimand them the way I would mine, then I want no part in keeping an eye on them.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I like children, but other people's children are definitely my birth control.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Me!!!
    I hadn't carried a baby that I wasn't forced to carry until my son was born. I'm not very maternal either but I'm awesome with my son. He's such an awesome little boy and i love him to pieces....but other kids...nope.
    Can't do it.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I understand as I do feel the same. I have eight of my own and am fine with them but feel very awkward around other people's kids.
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options

I am a proud mother of a 5 1/2 year old boy who is basically the bees knees. And I think I'm a pretty great mom. But when it comes to other people's kids...I am SO FREAKING AWKWARD. I was never one of those teen girls who liked babysitting (I was only in it for the cash lol), I never really dreamed of having a bunch of babies, etc.

When I'm around other people's children, or if a friend of mine asks "Hey can you keep an eye on so-and-so for a minute?" I am just so incredibly awkward. I feel kinda bad, but I NEVER offer to babysit my friend's kids, even if I'm just hanging out at home with my son. I'm just so not good at watching other people's children! My son's birthday parties? Omg, I nearly panic with all the children around. I could never be a teacher or work at a daycare or anything like that---I am just not good with groups of children whatsoever!

My bf, on the other hand, is like the damn baby whisperer--kids flock to him! When he met my son for the first time, it was like they'd known each other since lil man's birth. The bf is just so great with kids and is that fun uncle/cousin at family get-togethers that all the kids want to play with. I'm basically in awe of him around kids, and I totally let him take the lead when we're around groups of kids.

Anybody else like me? You're great with your own kids, but when it comes to other people's children you're just awkward and uncomfortable?

This is me and my husband all the way. It is crazy.........I thought I was the only one. HAHAHAHAHAHA
  • ReneeCK
    ReneeCK Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am EXACTLY the same way! Mom of 4 here, but when it comes to other kids, I just look at them like I have NO CLUE. Never was a "kid person" either. Then I had mine and BAM! love my kiddos with everything I have in me! Glad to know I'm not alone in this! Just thought I was a weirdo, haha!
  • angeliis02
    angeliis02 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't have the patience for kids. I'm lucky to have a super aweome 5 year old. She's cute, fun and has a heckuva personality, not obnoxious, never has she been a whiney child. I don't do well with whiney. I got lucky for sure.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly like you minus that I don't have kids. I love my nieces and nephews, I talk to them often on phone to tell them I exist and that I am there for them etc (They've never met me in person) but I cannot even talk to them for more than a minute. I'm just not a kid person.

I can be a fun person around them for like 3 minutes. Like i'll play a bit with my friends kids but after a few minutes I just hand them back to my friends
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I dont like other people's kids. I can handle it if they are friends with my kid but otherwise, no thanks.
  • cfranklin6353
    cfranklin6353 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Same for me. I love my son, and I wouldn't take anything for him. I even work in a pediatrician's office, and I'm awkward around other people's kids!

I don't tolerate bad behavior from my own child, but there's always that unspoken obligation to tolerate it from other people's children.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The same. I'm not so much "awkward" around them as I am hesitant or sometimes frustrated. Essentially, if you're not OK with me disciplining your kid in my house, don't let your kid come to my house. Even if you're there, I'm not going to let them behave like a *kitten* and get away with it. *shrug*
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

***raises hand***

I just generally don't like other kids...it *has* gotten better since having my own. There are kids that have the "baby whisperer" effect like your bf that I really do fall in love with. I have a 9 year old stepson (he's like that) and I'm around millions of 9 year olds through sports and all that jazz. Some of those boys are so good with my toddlers -- it astounds me. Then of course there are others that are evil. My two are just turned 4 and 2 (16 months apart) and there are some 3 year olds that are straight evil.

I never ever ever thought I'd be the type of mom that I am (which is a good thing). My daughter had her first dance recital on Saturday and it took all I had not to burst out in tears of pride. Um....what has happened to me?!?!?!? Hahahaha!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i'm not very maternal, so i agree completely.
    when my niece is here, i am at a loss. shes 5, my boys are 10 and 11.
    its like i forgot what a 5 year old likes! my kids are really good with her though.
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    DITTO!

I never dreamt of babies, no one ever asked me to baby-sit (dog-sit: yes)
    My (former) best friend said: "I can't see you with kids, I don't think you even like kids!"
    I kinda always knew I would have them, just didn't plan it, or care. Then I got pregnant and my son was born and then my world flipped upside down and I became a "warmer, fuzzier" version of myself (as some of my closest friends pointed out).
    Even still, though, I am good with other three year old boys and younger, but AWFUL with anyone over the age of four, and could use some improvement with the little girlies. I don't understand or like the whole princesses thing. The majority of my conversations with them are either repeating what they say, or saying "oh, really?" when they say something I didn't understand. And then I pretend to need to do something else to get out of the awkward social situation they have just put me in. And people still don't ask me to baby-sit (which kinda sucks because that means I can't ask them to, either)
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids yet but I know I want my own though I hate other peoples annoying kids.
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I babysat in my teens too and I am pretty sure that is why I swore I was never having them. That changed around the age of 27 but I am still uncomfortable around kids that are not my own, a family member or really close friend.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    The same. I'm not so much "awkward" around them as I am hesitant or sometimes frustrated. Essentially, if you're not OK with me disciplining your kid in my house, don't let your kid come to my house. Even if you're there, I'm not going to let them behave like a *kitten* and get away with it. *shrug*

right? Pretty much the same. If your kid does something that my kid would get a spanking or sent to the wall for timeout and I can't do the same with your kid, um, no. I'm not playing that game, especially not with my kids around.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I've always got along well with children and enjoyed being around them, but I grew up in a house with 6 siblings. I was the oldest, so was comfortable with babies all the way up to teenagers.

I can see your point though. I think there's a level of emotional connection with your own that you don't have with other people's children.
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My philosophy is that other people's kids are other people's problems. :)
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    My daughter is literally the exact same person as I am...therefore she is the best child in the world and everyone else and their kids can get away from me. I'm not really a kid person unless my daughter is playing with them then I don't mind but walking in a store and a kid says hi...I feel weird and like I don't want to pay attention to them because I'm off the clock lol.