LCHF or Count Calories?

Options
Ahanaz
Ahanaz Posts: 353 Member
Here's the deal, I'm doing a research paper where I compare LCHF (Low Carbs, High Fat) diet, to counting calories. I was not allowed to compare more than 2 types of diet/ways to loose weight, to avoid too much information, and it has to be only 5-6 pages, so I had to restrict it.

So my question to you is:
Which diet is the most effective way to loose weight? LCHF or Pure calorie counting?

Replies

• Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    The two aren't mutually exclusive. And which is most effective will depend on the person/goal.
  • Ahanaz
    Options
    No, but I had to choose only 2, and where I come from the LCHF and calorie counting are the ones most discussed when you need to start loosing weight, and it's also the most popular among my friends. That's why I chose it.

I know it's individual what works for you, or what oyu want, that is why I am asking, what people in US/UK thinks and believe in most.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I would say calorie counting, simply because I lost weight from counting but not restricting my carbs. Keeping my carbs to anything that could be called "low" seems impossible for me, personally. I shoot for 175g/day and usually go over, but it's better than the +225g I used to eat. :blushing:
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    Counting carbs is great if you prefer a relaxed way of dieting and lifestyle. All you truly need to do is be reasonable, and the offensive foods most people overeat (i.e. cookies, cake, carbs) are eliminated so there's no issue there.
    Calories are a mathematically correct way to lose weight, however, if you eat terribly then you can't out exercise a bad diet.

Personally, my body finally got over leaky gut syndrome and I eat better knowing I can't have carbs at all.. everyone's different.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No matter what macro ratio you use, you have to be mindful of overall calories. Counting 100 calories of fruit, or 25 grams of carbs from fruit is the exact same thing.

Like Glucocorticoid said, they aren't mutually exclusive, as they are essentially the same.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. For me, when I count calories, I lose aprox .5-1 lb per week. When I do very LC, I've been averaging 2.5 lbs per week. For me, Very low carb works best. I feel great.
    Debbie
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    for me personally, Low carb works best.

I started here in february. I counted mostly calories...I worked my booty off in the gym ( 90 minutes 3-4x per week) and struggled to lose 7 pounds in 3 months. I spent 2 of those months gaining and losing the same 3 lbs.

May 7th I started cutting carbs ( under 100g net per day) and the first week I lost 4.8 pounds. Pretty much every week since, I have lost about 1lb. When I have a fluctuation, it isn't as bad as it was the first 3 months, and it usually goes away quicker. My workout has actually gotten LESS intense the last few weeks, and the weight is still coming off.
  • ShilohMaier
    ShilohMaier Posts: 135
    Options
    Low carb all the way. I don't feel so restricted, which is why I always failed at low cal. Most of the foods I like were always off limits, like a nice fatty ribeye steak with mushrooms sauteed in butter. Weightloss is very much effected by your mentality. Think about what you would rather give up, rice cakes or bacon? I'd much rather give up rice cakes!!! And I think my before and after pic speaks for the effectiveness and validity of this lifestyle. I'm just here working on getting off the baby weight, and getting back into the low-carb way of life is the fastest most effective way I've found. And it's a change I can live with. I kept the weight off for 5 years, and before I got pregnant. Lots of people say you can't live like that, or that once the weight is lost, you'll put it right back on. But just like any lifestyle change, if you go back to what you were doing before, you WILL put the weight back on. You can't go from low cal to high cal and not gain the weight back either.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Counting carbs is great if you prefer a relaxed way of dieting and lifestyle. All you truly need to do is be reasonable, and the offensive foods most people overeat (i.e. cookies, cake, carbs) are eliminated so there's no issue there.
    Calories are a mathematically correct way to lose weight, however, if you eat terribly then you can't out exercise a bad diet.

Personally, my body finally got over leaky gut syndrome and I eat better knowing I can't have carbs at all.. everyone's different.

^ this for me too ;)
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    No matter what macro ratio you use, you have to be mindful of overall calories. Counting 100 calories of fruit, or 25 grams of carbs from fruit is the exact same thing.

Like Glucocorticoid said, they aren't mutually exclusive, as they are essentially the same.

Not true... blackberries--2C--28carbs--122 cal--15 fiber ( so you only count 13 carbs)
    banana--1 medium--27g carbs--105 cal--3g fiber ( so you count 24 carbs)

which one do you think is more filling? I know I would be STUFFED if I tried to eat 2 cups of blackberries in one sitting, but I could easily eat 2 bananas and have room for more. If you are choosy about the low carb foods you eat, you can eat a TON of food for fewer calories than the person just counting calories.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I would say low carb dieting is the healthiest way and most effective way to lose weight.

It teaches you to eat healthier foods to feel satisfied and it more sustainable in the low run. I think people are on low calorie diets can only do it for so long due to lack of energy.
  • Ahanaz
    Options

Not true... blackberries--2C--28carbs--122 cal--15 fiber ( so you only count 13 carbs)

which one do you think is more filling? I know I would be STUFFED if I tried to eat 2 cups of blackberries in one sitting, but I could easily eat 2 bananas and have room for more. If you are choosy about the low carb foods you eat, you can eat a TON of food for fewer calories than the person just counting calories.

That more looks like a fiber comparison ?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I would say low carb dieting is the healthiest way and most effective way to lose weight.

It teaches you to eat healthier foods to feel satisfied and it more sustainable in the low run. I think people are on low calorie diets can only do it for so long due to lack of energy.

I would say just the opposite! Cutting out a whole macro group or food groups seems very unhealthy and unsustainable to me.
    I do agree that going extremely low cal is not sustainable either.

Calorie counting has been incredibly effective for me, I have had no reason to cut carbs. My approach is "moderation" - which for me, means eating mostly home cooked meals made from actual ingredients and eating less processed snacks (chocolate, cakes, chips etc).
    I still eat pizza, pasta, icecream, chocolate, alcohol, rice, bread, cake (gasp, all those carbs!!!) and as long as I keep the calories under control it's very successful for me.

I also think that getting into the habit of exercising regularly (but not obsessively) is an important factor too.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Unless your paper is on opinions about different types of diets, I'm not sure why you're here. If you want to do actual research on this topic, I'd suggest using google scholar or the medline database (or another medical database) to look for articles on this topic in peer-reviewed journals.
  • sdow
    sdow Posts: 71
    Options
    Counting calories works for me for several reasons. I eat less and I eat healthier. It is also more of a lifestyle for me than a diet. I can also allow for eating out or eating desserts.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options

That more looks like a fiber comparison ?

that might be what jumps out...however...fiber digests more slowly thus keeping you feeling fuller longer. Plus, there is also the serving size issue--we eat not only with our mouths, but with our eyes. Which do you think would LOOK like it would be more filling? Do you remember the popcorn commercial that showed you 100 calories worth of popcorn ( a big bowl) and 100 calories worth of potato chips ( a handful)? it's basically the same concept--if you choose wisely when you are picking your foods, you CAN get yummy foods that fill you up for fewer calories than the higher carb foods.

which one would you rather have for breakfast:
    1 cup raisin bran ( 190 calories, 46 carbs, 8 fiber) and 1 cup milk ( 122 calories, 11 carbs, 0 fiber)

OR would you rather have

2 eggs, 4 slices of soy bacon, and a low carb/high fiber tortilla (340 calories, 20 carbs, 11 fiber) ?
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    All of the above. I'm on low carb/high protein/high fat. I also keep my caloires under control. By far I have lost more weight doing the combo vs just counting calories and staying under my caloric goal.
  • jonnysgirl1701
    Options
    I'm doing LCHF, before counting calories never worked for me until I got down dangerously low. (very low calorie diet- dr supervised) I've down 50 pounds since november, and 20 pounds in the last 6 weeks...I average 3 pounds per week.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    In counting my calories I have found that I am unintentionally doing a LCHF diet. I have lost weight wonderfully. Granted, I also had a bit to loose. In the beginning, I had low fat, and felt terrible. So I would could it Low carb, moderate fat, staying within calorie goal is what works.

Because in the end, you can eat low carbs, high fat all you want, but if you are eating 3000 a day, you are going to gain weight. So I guess that answers the question. Low calorie. Less calories in than calories out!
  • jonnysgirl1701
    Options

I would say just the opposite! Cutting out a whole macro group or food groups seems very unhealthy and unsustainable to me.
    I do agree that going extremely low cal is not sustainable either.

Calorie counting has been incredibly effective for me, I have had no reason to cut carbs. My approach is "moderation" - which for me, means eating mostly home cooked meals made from actual ingredients and eating less processed snacks (chocolate, cakes, chips etc).
    I still eat pizza, pasta, icecream, chocolate, alcohol, rice, bread, cake (gasp, all those carbs!!!) and as long as I keep the calories under control it's very successful for me.

I also think that getting into the habit of exercising regularly (but not obsessively) is an important factor too.

Your not cutting out a whole macro your eating less of a really unhealthy macro....All of my carbs come from veggies. I hated veggies before low carb I eat much healthier on low carb than I ever did low cal.