LCHF or Count Calories?

Options

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    In counting my calories I have found that I am unintentionally doing a LCHF diet. I have lost weight wonderfully. Granted, I also had a bit to loose. In the beginning, I had low fat, and felt terrible. So I would could it Low carb, moderate fat, staying within calorie goal is what works.

Because in the end, you can eat low carbs, high fat all you want, but if you are eating 3000 a day, you are going to gain weight. So I guess that answers the question. Low calorie. Less calories in than calories out!

I am uncomfortably full trying my best to get in enough calories to compensate for my workouts. I have trouble eating 2400 calories in low to moderate carb foods. I usually end up resorting to atkins MEAL bars to boost my calorie intake when I see that I am only netting like 500 for the day...
  • Ahanaz
    Ahanaz Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Unless your paper is on opinions about different types of diets, I'm not sure why you're here. If you want to do actual research on this topic, I'd suggest using google scholar or the medline database (or another medical database) to look for articles on this topic in peer-reviewed journals.

It's not really about opinions, but I will have to write which way is mostly common/preferred by people. (As requested from teacher while discussing my paper)
  • Ahanaz
    Options
    No matter what macro ratio you use, you have to be mindful of overall calories. Counting 100 calories of fruit, or 25 grams of carbs from fruit is the exact same thing.

Like Glucocorticoid said, they aren't mutually exclusive, as they are essentially the same.

Not true... blackberries--2C--28carbs--122 cal--15 fiber ( so you only count 13 carbs)
    banana--1 medium--27g carbs--105 cal--3g fiber ( so you count 24 carbs)

which one do you think is more filling? I know I would be STUFFED if I tried to eat 2 cups of blackberries in one sitting, but I could easily eat 2 bananas and have room for more. If you are choosy about the low carb foods you eat, you can eat a TON of food for fewer calories than the person just counting calories.

That more looks like a fiber comparison ?

that might be what jumps out...however...fiber digests more slowly thus keeping you feeling fuller longer. Plus, there is also the serving size issue--we eat not only with our mouths, but with our eyes. Which do you think would LOOK like it would be more filling? Do you remember the popcorn commercial that showed you 100 calories worth of popcorn ( a big bowl) and 100 calories worth of potato chips ( a handful)? it's basically the same concept--if you choose wisely when you are picking your foods, you CAN get yummy foods that fill you up for fewer calories than the higher carb foods.

which one would you rather have for breakfast:
    1 cup raisin bran ( 190 calories, 46 carbs, 8 fiber) and 1 cup milk ( 122 calories, 11 carbs, 0 fiber)

OR would you rather have

2 eggs, 4 slices of soy bacon, and a low carb/high fiber tortilla (340 calories, 20 carbs, 11 fiber) ?

I would say the second one without the tortilla. Mostly cause most brans/flakes are just sugar bombs and I am sensitivt to milk :P
  • Ahanaz
    Options
    I'm doing LCHF, before counting calories never worked for me until I got down dangerously low. (very low calorie diet- dr supervised) I've down 50 pounds since november, and 20 pounds in the last 6 weeks...I average 3 pounds per week.

Big CONGRATULATIONS to you! :D
  • Ahanaz
    Options
    In counting my calories I have found that I am unintentionally doing a LCHF diet. I have lost weight wonderfully. Granted, I also had a bit to loose. In the beginning, I had low fat, and felt terrible. So I would could it Low carb, moderate fat, staying within calorie goal is what works.

Because in the end, you can eat low carbs, high fat all you want, but if you are eating 3000 a day, you are going to gain weight. So I guess that answers the question. Low calorie. Less calories in than calories out!

I totally agree. My paper will prob be in favor for counting, cause indirectly it all comes down to calorie counting. Intake vs burnt, and high carbs foods are often the same as the high cal foods, like pasta, pizza, bread.... So when you really look at it it's the same.
    I've been counting for 1 month now, and I've noticed that you get swollen by high carb foods, and when you eat mostly healthy foods, the high carbs foods does not taste as good anymore either...
    As many has stated, the combination of low carb, high (healthy/natural) fats, and calorie controlled diet is the optimal diet in my eyes.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Studies show that a low GI (glycemic index) diet is superior to either. But, of the two you are interested in, low carb is best. Again, science shows that people who count calories regain all their weight plus more within two years while the other group (the majority of the group) maintains their loss.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    LCHF isn't doable for everyone - I have to restrict my fat, because I have awesomely terrible genetics paired with wonky hormones and a previously bad diet, and had a heart attack at 28 as a result.

Counting calories, though, is doable for everyone.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Low carb is quick and easy to start with. You lose a bunch of water weight right away. But it's not sustainable. Calorie counting is much more about retraining you how to eat healthy, be satisfied, not deny yourself your treats-- for the long haul.
  • Ahanaz
    Options
    Studies show that a low GI (glycemic index) diet is superior to either. But, of the two you are interested in, low carb is best. Again, science shows that people who count calories regain all their weight plus more within two years while the other group (the majority of the group) maintains their loss.

Do you have links to those studies? Would be really interested in reading those :)

My personal beliefs of the second part you mention, which groups gains after they've reached their goal and not, is individual. I think people who counts gains again cause they have only tried to eat less, instead of choose healthier foods. while low carb groups has literally changed their fridge/food storage, so they have been used to not eat certain things, which means they are not as tempted to go back and eat the same, as the counting group. If you keep eating what you want, it's easier to go back and eat those big portions of what you like, once you've reached your goal weight.

My beliefs are are that if you've had weight problems, you have to stick to the new diet basically your whole life in one way or another. You might not have to think as much about it as you did while loosing, you can skip that extra shift at the gym, but you still need to check regularly and maybe take a week every now and then to "save up" or loose a pound so you can eat what you want, when you want and how much you want the rest of the month and so on.
  • Ahanaz
    Options
    Low carb is quick and easy to start with. You lose a bunch of water weight right away. But it's not sustainable. Calorie counting is much more about retraining you how to eat healthy, be satisfied, not deny yourself your treats-- for the long haul.

Thanks for sharing. I am kind of doing low carb since I have to avoid gluten products, aka pizza, bread, the carbs thieves.
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Tried to eat at least bmr basal metabolic rate and can do no exercise not even walking because of a stroke so for me counting works for losing. I will have to get back to you about keeping it off!
  • harrelld1
    harrelld1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I will go with count calories. It works best because you can keep up with your food count based on the number of calories you should be eating a day.
  • Ahanaz
    Options

I think that is ndividual. I am a pure calorie counter, and yes I do eat mcdonalds sometimes when dad is not home, me andm y mom has had a long day and can't be arsed to cook. Then a cheeseburger and split a fries sounds/is really tempting. But I've started to choose and eat healthier food most of the time with counting too. As I've mentioned earlier, I really think it's individual weather you lower your cal intake by eating less or just choose healthier foods. :smile:
  • Ahanaz
    Options
    Tried to eat at least bmr basal metabolic rate and can do no exercise not even walking because of a stroke so for me counting works for losing. I will have to get back to you about keeping it off!

Wow, aouch, I really hope you feel better soon and can start to talk short walks over time.
    I'm trying to stick to my BMR too, but when you choose "healthier" foods, and low cal foods and don't eat bread/pizza and so on that much, it's really hard to get up to the BMR.

You seem to have made a nice progress this far! Keep it up! =)
  • sarahrbraun
    Options

I think that is ndividual. I am a pure calorie counter, and yes I do eat mcdonalds sometimes when dad is not home, me andm y mom has had a long day and can't be arsed to cook. Then a cheeseburger and split a fries sounds/is really tempting. But I've started to choose and eat healthier food most of the time with counting too. As I've mentioned earlier, I really think it's individual weather you lower your cal intake by eating less or just choose healthier foods. :smile:

l manage to eat out too, I just have to make better choices--Friday I ate fast food twice! I had a large roast beef ( no bun) from Arby's for lunch, and a large apple pecan chicken salad from Wendy's for dinner ( only 1 dressing instead of 2). Then Saturday I helped Mom move--so I had a chicken salad from Subway, and a single slice of pizza ( she bought the people helping her pizza). Had I not splurged on a moolatte ( ice cream and coffee mixed together) on the way home, my carb counts would have been pretty darn good.

eating low carb does not mean that you cannot have treats...just like counting calories, you just have to make sure they fit into your meal plan.
  • sweetiecorn
    sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Fellow LCHFers feel free to add me :) I'm on day 19, lost 10lbs so far. and for the record I count calories as well as the LCHF rules.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Please make sure you use the term, "lose" weight, not "loose" weight in your paper.

Loose is as in, "My pants are loose! I'm losing weight!"

Please take this correction as a kindly one.

blessings.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    For me, counting carbs worked best for losing weight (I lost 60 lbs following that) however, in the long run, I am unable to maintain a low carb lifestyle. I :heart: carbs!!!!!! Now, I'm trying counting calories and see where that gets me!! Good luck on your paper :-)
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Going low-fat and counting calories has worked very well for me.

Also, most of the people at the national weight control registry who've lost weight and kept it off have followed a low-calorie, low-fat diet. They don't however break that "most" down to any actual numbers that I've yet found.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    For me, counting carbs worked best for losing weight (I lost 60 lbs following that) however, in the long run, I am unable to maintain a low carb lifestyle. I :heart: carbs!!!!!! Now, I'm trying counting calories and see where that gets me!! Good luck on your paper :-)

that is me! I love carbs...however, I hate the way they look on me, so I limit them <sigh>