OMG lifting heavy made me so bulky!!

Options
HeidiMightyRawr
HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
Thought I'd make a thread for my progress so far, and show people (mainly women) that lifting heavy won't make you bulk up, and can actually get you great results! No need for really light weights and endless reps, pick up some heavy sh1t and reap the benefits *heavy is relative and determined by reps, not the actual weight on the bar*

I'm not at my goal yet, but have made good progress so far, just working on some more definition now, mostly in my abs - I want a 6 pack (or at least 4 pack)

I've been lifting heavy for just over 2 years straight, but been even more serious about it for the past year roughly. (before that I never really did squats/deadlifts much if at all)

These were taken tonight 143/144lbs:

Photo0247.jpg

Photo0250.jpg

These next two were taken 2 years ago nearly. I'd had prior heavy lifting experience, but had only been back at it after a long break, for around 2-3 months. I didn't do squats / deadlifts at this point, or much leg work at all apart from leg press occasionally. I was around 136lbs here, so lighter but my legs were all skinny fat before, and my belly is flatter now than it was then.
I'm 5'8.

47157_461451755188_709565188_6893872_6484298_n.jpg
46889_461447115188_1135795_n.jpg

I currently eat 2300 calories a day which works out at roughly 1800/1900 NET on exercise days, 4-5 times a week (I don't log exercise any more)

If you're a female and feel you look "bulky", chances are you still have fat to lose. There was a massive difference in how I looked (muscle-wise) and my clothing size, between when I was 150lbs, 27% body fat, after a long break from lifting, and when I was the same weight but 22% body fat, after I'd lost fat, and done a purposeful bulk (3000+ calories a day)
Excess fat combined with some muscle, is usually the main cause of looking bulky, not the muscle itself! :drinker:

Replies

• shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Love this.

You look amazing!
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    You look excellent!! and so tiny looking :drinker: and you eat to woot woot!
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    OMG girl you are so bulky and ginormous and manly!!!!! :laugh:

(LOL - Beautiful!)

(guess I look bulky and manly too, concidering I lift and eat big! )
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Seriously i've said it before and will again, you look fab!!! and you work so hard at it, our results are all well deserved
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    LOL!!!!!

when I first seen the title " OMG lifting heavy made me so bulky!! " my comment was simply going to be "said no one ever"

then I realized you didn't actually mean it hahaha

good job you look great
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    you are repulsive.
    disgusting.
    makes me wanna....
    lift heavy!!!!!

um.
    give me your workout regimine so I can look like you!!!!
    <3

good job!
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    See, this is just what I needed. I've recently started heavy lifting and have been nervous! because in the back of my mind I still think that I will look like a big ol' man once I begin to see results. You look great and the very opposite of bulky and manly! Way to go!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You're a hottie! Thanks for posting this and the encouragement!
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    You look great! Thank you for this post. I lift heavy too, and my family keeps telling me I'll bulk...not true, especially when I lose the extra fat :). Congrats on your accomplishments!
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    OP what lifting do you do? How often? How do I start? Details please!!!
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend would SOOOO hug you for this! I'm not worried I'll look bulky because I'm learning a lot more here about this. However, I have friends who have worried they will so were hesitant to start. This was great. Thank you very much.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i do actually know one girl who bulks up huge when she lifts. SHe has naturally high testosterone. But she doesn't need to work out at all...she's got like 2% BF. Her abs pop and her muscles are super defined...and she doesn't work out. at. all.

I ENVY her.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you're a female and feel you look "bulky", chances are you still have fat to lose.

Yeah, this... A woman is not going to put on the musculature of a man without testosterone injections. Bulk generally looks like fat.

And if you really don't want to lift, then don't. No one's saying you have to.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I actually look better when I lift heavy and do zero cardio hahah.... eat good and lift heavy!! i dont think you need cardio unless you want the RIDICULOUSLY shredded look. but me, nah i dont need 2 hrs of cardio per day thanks :) haha
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Looking great! Your legs are lovely. :]
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    Options
    OP what lifting do you do? How often? How do I start? Details please!!!

Upper / Lower body split, 4 times a week (2 for each)

Upper - bench press, overhead press, biceps curls and a couple of tricep exercises (usually the press down machine and cable press down)
    Lower - Squats, deadlifts, DB lunges, and some upper back stuff (that would never fit into my current upper body routine in terms of time) such as lat pull down, DB rows, and reverse pec deck.

It lasts just over an hour each session. You can start by looking at some beginner routines such as starting strength, NROL4W, and stronglifts 5x5. I haven't done any of those myself as my bf got me into lifting and I ended up creating my own program that works for me, but if you don't know what you're doing, those should be good :) There are several people on here that follow those programs, and private groups dedicated to them!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    Options
    I actually look better when I lift heavy and do zero cardio hahah.... eat good and lift heavy!! i dont think you need cardio unless you want the RIDICULOUSLY shredded look. but me, nah i dont need 2 hrs of cardio per day thanks :) haha

Same here! My cardio is bodypump once a week! I know people say that's lifting, but I'll never ever think of it as lifting, not properly. It's more like endurance training than strength training, which is why I see it as my cardio :D
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!!!!! I just started lifting weights last week on base (airforce base) with a personal trainer. She is 60 y/o and probably a size 0 with no body fat. She has no bulging muscles. She has me lifting heavier weights than I have ever tried before. It is kinda fun and challenging. All my tennis friends are horrified and keep telling me I am going to bulk up!!!! Today several of them mentioned how much thinner I am looking!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Amazing work! If I ever choose to lift heavy I'll come looking for these ;)
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Awesome, seeing this I am looking forward to my heavy lifting training even more.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!