The hassle of drinking plain water

Options

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You'll be making a big mistake if you start drinking artificially sweetend beverages. They'll just reinforce your cravings for carbs and sugar. Drink unsweetened coffee or tea instead. Both are appetite suppressents AND have health benefits.

In regard to liking water better, here are a few tactics. While cold water may taste better at meals, it takes longer to drink b/c it's cold. If you just want to drink a quick cup of water, just get some warm tap water and chug it. It takes 5 seconds. Brita and Pure water filters also make it taste much better. Also, spring water isn't that expensive, and actually tastes very good once you get used to it. The most important thing is to just keep drinking it though, eventually you'll start to like it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I think it's more of a hassle to add stuff to plain ol' water! :tongue: I fill up my water bottle and go! Having a 24oz bottle that I take everywhere has helped me to drink more water. I take it in the car, keep it close by around the house - I love it. Spill proof, easy one hand operation to get a drink, and every time I empty it, I log three cups of water in my diary. Easy-peasy, no hassle water consumption.

I also drink a glass or two of unsweetened iced tea with lunch or dinner. But I've learned to love my water.
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    I flavour my water (which I drink hot) with Lemon and ginger tea bags. Have a cup that hold 24 oz so I drink at least two of these and soup to make my my 8 cups.

I cold steep tetly mojito tea it is surprisingly refreshing. Tetly berry herbal tea is good cold too. caffiene is bitter so avoid caffinated teas or beverages.

I also have 1/2 lemon squeezed in hot water sometimes add a mushed strawberry for extra yum. I have this first thing in the morning it is great for your digestive system and Lemons are great for weightloss.

any crushed ripe or frozen berry is yummy in water, lemon, lime slice or orange slices but only add a few, cold or hot it makes the water a bit more refreshing. I dont add sugar or artificial sweetners, after awhile I really crave unsweetened drinks. I dont drink juice, too much sugar.

I stayed at a hotel recently that had 2 jugs of water one with lemon slices and the other with orange slices both yummy (the flavor is mild not strong)

a couple of tricks to learning to drink water plain, try it cold, warm, room temp and hot, I like flavored water cold, plain water at room temp and fruit water hot.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You'll be making a big mistake if you start drinking artificially sweetend beverages. They'll just reinforce your cravings for carbs and sugar. Drink unsweetened coffee or tea instead. Both are appetite suppressents AND have health benefits.

In regard to liking water better, here are a few tactics. While cold water may taste better at meals, it takes longer to drink b/c it's cold. If you just want to drink a quick cup of water, just get some warm tap water and chug it. It takes 5 seconds. Brita and Pure water filters also make it taste much better. Also, spring water isn't that expensive, and actually tastes very good once you get used to it. The most important thing is to just keep drinking it though, eventually you'll start to like it.
    I would tend to agree with this. Good water intake is essential. To try and find a workaround is only taking an indirect (longer) path to success.

My advice is to fake it until you make it. You might just learn to love plain old water if it leads you to your goals :wink:
  • mi_lady
    mi_lady Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I really like Mio while I'm at work, but try to limit my intake b/c of the cheicals. Fortunately we just got an ice make/filtered water dispenser so I have gone back to drinking plain water.

At home I drink mainly lemon water or filtered water with lots of ice. It took about two months to give up diet soda, but I've completely lost my taste for it now. I have to go with the fake it 'til you make it advice, it will get easier and soon water will be your preferred beverage.
  • FitFreckle
    Options
    I agree!

I keep a pitcher of water in the fridge with fruit. Fruit infused water is tasty and sweet. Mix it up with different fresh herbs or frozen fruit.

Also, drink your water with a straw! Goes down faster and easier :)
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I can't stand any add in mixes to water. They are disgusting. I just set goals for myself. I used to set a goal of drinking 2 bottles of water whatever size they may be. Then, I upped the size of the bottle of water. The last month or so I've been drinking 2 liters of water. Last week, I decided to up it to 3 liters just for kicks and giggles. I've been doing pretty good so far. :)
  • jennipea382
    jennipea382 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It's been mentioned but I love the Crystal Light mixes. The raspberry ice and lemon tea ones are my favorites at the moment. I can see why some people might not like them though. I've tried only putting in a half packet (technically a serving size IS half the packet but it's designed for a ~16oz bottle), and that helps with the sweetness. I've also added a splash of lemon juice to my water before, and it's SO good that way!
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Man, I'm with you-I HATE choking down plain water!!! :laugh: I've tried lots of different brands, and I love the Hawaiian Punch line-(ironically, I don't like the "punch" flavor), but they have LOTS of different ones to choose from!!! :smile: They are affordable, and helps TREMENDOUSLY on getting my water in!!!

why IS the punch flavor sooooo nasty?!
  • Squeeks70
    Squeeks70 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Mio Flavors? They are pretty good, just add a couple drops to water. They even have some with caffeine if you need a pick me up. Hope that helps! :-)

I use these or fresh lemon. Wal-mart has a store brand that is just as good and a third less in price!
  • MoiraCunningham
    MoiraCunningham Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    zipfizz! www.zipfizz.com

It comes in little tubes that you mix with 16-oz bottles of water. Comes in Berry, Citrus, Grape, Orange Soda, and Pink Lemonade. It has only 10 calories per tube, ZERO sugar and tons of vitamins. The orange flavor tastes like a creamsicle with a splash of coffee creamer or milk. :smile:

I buy mine at Sam's Club/Costco.
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    I just put lemon juice in my water when I get bored, but usually I just drink plain old water :)
  • bschultz0
    bschultz0 Posts: 3
    Options
    One Word: Mio.
  • patricep28
    Options
    I'm not to crazy about drinking plain water myself!! So I went on this app called Pinterest and found some ideas for flavored water! You basically put any fruit ,except bananas, in a pitcher and some mint leaves. Using a muddler or wooden spoon, mix, then add ice then water! I use the pre-cut fruit to save time! You can also mix different fruits together! I hope this helps!:wink:
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Just drink the water. In terms of burning fat and getting in shape, it's one of the easier things you will have to do. Suck it up buttercup.

this. it's about a lifestyle change. if you can't do something as simple as drink water, you need to rethink this whole thing.
  • witless
    witless Posts: 19
    Options
    water is the best choice nutra sweet (in crystal light ) has a long history of problems one is that it increases appetite
    tea is a good idea if it is caffeine free and it also can effect your blood sugar
    the words boring and bland are trigger words for back sliding or regaining weight
    work outs are a important part of a permanent weight loss if you are sweating you need to replace fluids
    water and electrolytes or your metabolism will slow and hamper weight loss
    learn a new way to eat and drink learn to love your work outs
  • vhm01
    vhm01 Posts: 2
    Options
    i like to mix 100% fruit juice (no added sugar or flavorings) with water. Usually I add between 1 and 2oz of juice per 8oz, enough to give it a sweet flavored water taste without the high price tag or the overpowering sweetness that juice often has. If you do it right, one large bottle of juice will last 2-3 weeks! Careful -- if you mix a water bottle the natural sugar in it will cause your water to go bad if you leave it out for more than a few hours (and moldy if you leave it out for a day. I learned this the hard way ><)
  • vhm01
    vhm01 Posts: 2
    Options
    be careful about using tea, diet soda, or soup in place of water. tea has a diuretic effect and can dehydrate you -- same with diet soda. soup is often very high in sodium and so can make your body require MORE water than it would otherwise.
  • WannaBe70sTeen
    Options
    I used to hate water until i drank only that for a week. after that it was easy! now i rather have water
  • grammacarol1943
    grammacarol1943 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like the Hawaiian punch in my water. It tastes good ,so tend to drink more water than I normally would.