When you're feeling fat...

Options
what do you do about it? It's so easy to lie in bed and sulk, or chew on potato chips out of stress, but when you want to be proactive after seeing your scale went up instead of down, what do you do about it, right then and there?

Replies

• jenkidney
    jenkidney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I try not to get too down on myself. I'll take my measurements and see if I lost some in that arena. I'll think about whether or not I stayed in my calorie ranges that week, and whether or not I got enough workouts in. If I have done both of those things I just keep pushing through and remind myself it's a journey. If I haven't done those things then I will go back and see where I can improve.
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you today. I've been doing everything right -- eating right, not cheating, hitting the gym...EVERYday...

This morning I got on the scale, and for the third day straight, the weight went up. Ugh. I wanted to throw the stupid gizmo out the window.

But, instead, I've decided that I need to stick to the regime. I had a good breakfast and am about to head to the gym. I'm going to be good today.

And TOMORROW! that scale better show some positive results! It's almost like a challenge to beat that thing. I'm focusing on winning and showing that scale that it can't beat me...

Okay, so maybe I sound crazy, but who cares? If it motivates me to stick to the plan, why not use some crazy idea of "healthy competition"?

You're making progress, right? You have a goal, right? Then work for it! Get out of bed, toss the chips in the trash and go for a walk. Or run up and down the stairs in the house. Or whatever it is that gets your moving. You'll feel better.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you today. I've been doing everything right -- eating right, not cheating, hitting the gym...EVERYday...

This morning I got on the scale, and for the third day straight, the weight went up. Ugh. I wanted to throw the stupid gizmo out the window.

But, instead, I've decided that I need to stick to the regime. I had a good breakfast and am about to head to the gym. I'm going to be good today.

And TOMORROW! that scale better show some positive results! It's almost like a challenge to beat that thing. I'm focusing on winning and showing that scale that it can't beat me...

Okay, so maybe I sound crazy, but who cares? If it motivates me to stick to the plan, why not use some crazy idea of "healthy competition"?

You're making progress, right? You have a goal, right? Then work for it! Get out of bed, toss the chips in the trash and go for a walk. Or run up and down the stairs in the house. Or whatever it is that gets your moving. You'll feel better.
    This was absolutely perfect.
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I like to swear a little bit, then move the scale about the bathroom to find the new "sweet spot" - when that invariably fails I have a quick look at my macros in the diary and see if it was a high salt day the day before. Most of the fluctuations in the scales you will see is water weight
  • CandyAshes
    CandyAshes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i usually end up swearing, maybe crying a little, and then i get to the point i get mad and go for a walk.
  • joannafarrer
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself every day, for a start! My weight fluctuates from day to day (even if I'm eating exactly the same calories) and the last thing you want to do is de-motivate yourself. I wouldn't weight myself more than once a week. Also, if you're working out and building muscle, you won't lose weight so fast (muscle weighs three times as much as the same volume of fat), but you will be slimmer, fitter and healthier. For me, the most important indication of 'weight loss' is my clothes - the holes on my belt, the skirt that was too tight, the dress that didn't look right or that favourite item that you haven't been able to get into for ages. When I see changes here, I don't care what I weigh! And remember, the fact that you're using this site means you're doing the right thing, so congratulate yourself!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I grit my teeth, curse any bad food choices I made (although I prefer it when there's an obvious explanation; nothing worse than Mystery Weight Gain) but decide to get back on it like Wallace and Gromit. There's very much an element of 'f*** YOU, scale, and the horse you rode in on'.

I then might have a self-indulgent spell in front of the mirror with an internal dialogue along the lines of "yeees, you gained. Yes, you made a bad choice. But look at your arms/bum/shoulders/chest/insert body part here - still looking half-decent, and you can still fit into those jeans that were a smidge too tight a few months ago. Now, remember how good this feels and haul your backside down the gym. I only submit to one thing in the world and that's The Man, let alone a tempestuous white square in my bathroom".

Good luck - there can be so many disheartening dips, but there's a bigger picture.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    Options
    All really cool things to hear from you guys.

Right now, I'm anger eating, but instead of going for the brownies Mom made, I'm sauteing some spinach.
  • blu_diva
    blu_diva Posts: 25
    Options
    i convince myself to do at least a few minutes of something active, even if it's just a few sit ups or a quick walk....helps shake off my mopey mode.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I have started journaling. It helps me clear my head of all the negative thoughts. By the end, I realize that my "fat" feeling isn't so much my body but some kind of stress or hormones or something going on in my mind. Then I close the book (literally and figuratively) on the idea and usually feel better.
  • sammywil
    sammywil Posts: 104
    Options
    I try not to get too down on myself. I'll take my measurements and see if I lost some in that arena. I'll think about whether or not I stayed in my calorie ranges that week, and whether or not I got enough workouts in. If I have done both of those things I just keep pushing through and remind myself it's a journey. If I haven't done those things then I will go back and see where I can improve.

^^^ This! - Excellent response :)
  • krunchie29
    krunchie29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find journalling help but also crank up the stereo on some cheesy music and dance around like a lunitic who thinks they should be a contestent so you think you can dance and go crazy like no one can see you! always helps and its a bit of cardio to boot!
  • lisav6
    lisav6 Posts: 56
    Options
    I like to swear a little bit, then move the scale about the bathroom to find the new "sweet spot" - when that invariably fails I have a quick look at my macros in the diary and see if it was a high salt day the day before. Most of the fluctuations in the scales you will see is water weight

I thought I was the only one who moved scales around to find some place that my body will defy gravity! Ha ha!! Glad to hear I am not alone!
  • KharismaticKayteh
    Options
    You guys are so awesome. <3.

Yeah, I gained a little today, and I'm pissed (but I can't walk because it's late and I'm scared of my neighbors). A couple days ago, I got mad because I looked fatter than I usually do, so I sulked in bed for two hours, and then I decided that wasn't the right way to handle it, so I walked for two or three hours (and my boyfriend's dog kept me company)! At first it felt like a chore, but then it was really helpful because the more I walked, the more calm I felt, and the more calm I felt, the happier I became. I walked again the next day for maybe half an hour (would have been longer, but I was distracted by trying to kill silkworms in my boyfriend's grandmother's pecan trees).
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I feel fat every day because I am fat. :D I feel fat right now! I cheerfully continue on with my business.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    Options
    I feel fat every day because I am fat. :D I feel fat right now! I cheerfully continue on with my business.
    You have successfully made me snort with laughter. I'd give you a badge, if I had made any for such an event.
  • Nix_
    Nix_ Posts: 94
    Options
    I go for a run. It gets me out of my head and I've done some exercise :)
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I log on to my old MySpace with pictures of me at 275 lbs, when I couldn't even hide all my chins with an almost completely overhead shot, and remind myself of how far I've come.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I log on to my old MySpace with pictures of me at 275 lbs, when I couldn't even hide all my chins with an almost completely overhead shot, and remind myself of how far I've come.

Oh God I was the queen of these shots! It's an art, isn't it?
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    when I feel fat (which is all the damn time lately) I cry and then get on with my life. Refocus on losing weight and trying to exercise despite my injuries.