To Gym or Not to Gym

13»

Replies

• theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Netflix instant watch has workout dvd's. There's walking and running, local pools and parks with basketball and tennis courts (depending where you live). pushups and situps are freeeeee as well! there are "no-equipment" workouts up the wazoo online. Personally, if you aren't 100% sure about a gym membership don't do it. You never know what other expenses may pop up that you'd need that money for

Hooters pays for their employees gym membership ;)
  • kerchki
    kerchki Posts: 63 Member
    I'll just throw out there that I don't belong to a gym. I run and it's convenient, easy, and I've lost weight. (Started at 218, now at 177) When I started I couldn't run at all, but I did the couch to 5K program and I now run 3 miles 3-5 times a week. I've even been able to run 5 miles.
  • hlp423
    hlp423 Posts: 41 Member
    I personally can never stick to working out when I try to do it at home. I need to get out and be motivated by the atmosphere and people. I just joined Planet Fitness, they are only 10 bucks a month for a basic membership, 20 for the upgraded one where you bring a guest. You could search around and see if they are in your area. I know they are not a hardcore gym, but they have what you need to stay healthy, tons of cardio equipment and all sorts of circuit training and weights. They only thing they don't cater to is really heavy olympic style bodybuilder weights. You could always upgrade to that once you are employed again if its something you need in a gym, for now though 10 bucks a month could at least keep you in the routine ; )

Best of luck to you and I know its tough. Don't think of the gym as a splurge if you know that you need it to stay on track. The Y is the most expensive gym in my area compared to Bally's, Urban active and planet fitness. I have no idea why this is in my area. Also they require a large joining fee which many people can't afford. They had no more scholarships available in my area when I checked but it might be because I live in what I call an 'eclectic urban area', people who visit me tend to call it the ghetto. : /

Good luck!

( Oops I just saw the other planet fitness people! So I guess this is another vote for PF!! They are also open 24 hours which is a plus because no matter what shift you get hired for, you are good to go! )
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    $15 I spend for my gym is worth it to me :D If you can afford it and will use it, why not!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    If it fits into your budget and you can afford it then I say do it. Like you said it'll keep you social and active. You never know who you might meet and what connections you could make in the gym that could lead to a new job. Also it will help you if you're feeling down about not landing something and it gets you out of the house.

But again it's dependent upon your budget and what you can afford. If the local Y does a sliding scale then talk to them and see if they can work something out with you.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Why did you leave the gym last time? Sometimes I think we remember something more fondly.

It sounds like you want to hear "you deserve it". You do! Go for it! But I don't know your financial situation and the cost of the gym or anything. Do you live alone? Do you have family to help out if you can't find a new job? How long can you go without a job WITH the gym and without it?

If you want more justification- Maybe you'll meet someone at the gym that will lead to your next job.

I've always been a home exerciser myself. I looked at gym costs and bought my own equipment. I'm thrifty that way and if I had to dress right and drive somewhere, I'd never do it.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Looking for some feedback here.

In the last month or so I've skidded back in my weight loss journey. I've gone from breaking (finally) the 200 lb mark to weighing in at 199.6 to now weighing 207.8. I stopped doing what worked and then foolishly thought it wouldn't catch up with me. Well it did.

I'm really focused on getting back on track and want to see fast results to keep my motivation up.I've been considering getting a gym membership at a great club just up the street from me - literally I could walk there. I've had a membership there before and it was truly like a haven for me. I would go, work out, catch a Body Flow class (or yoga) and then hit the hot tub for a great post workout soak. I'd feel so great after. Should be an easy decision right?

Well....

I got laid off last week so I have to think about 'essential items' now when calculating my budget. I'm going to use the next few months of severance and unemployment benefits to pay the bills and just focus on my health and wellness goals. A gym membership could really get me far down that path- plus it will get me out of the house, keep me social and since I have loads of time, i can hit a lot of different classes and take advantage of so much there I never had time before.

What are thoughts? One side of me says "hey you're unemployed and you shouldn't be spending money on this kind of thing" but the other part of me says "hey, you're worth this. you can afford it and this IS an essential item in the budget".

thoughts?

CAN you afford it? Only you can answer that, because only you know if your severance, combined with your unemployment, will be enough to keep you living indoors and eating until you get another job. If the prospect of getting a new job quickly are really good this is probably a good time to work on yourself.

OTOH, getting healthy should be something that is a part of your regular life, and unless you can afford to have loads of free time forever, it might be a good idea to focus on the job search and don't treat fitness as your "job" right now. When you get another job it could be too easy to not stay fit because you see it as something that is very time intensive.
  • lilbrowngirlsj
    lilbrowngirlsj Posts: 45 Member
    So sorry to hear of the job loss too. I've been there. If you can't afford the gym, I love using workout dvd's! I also bought a 6 lb. medicine ball & a couple of 5 lb. weights and there are great workouts to do with those. My husband and I go to the park and play badminton or talk long walks around the lake...or walk the dog. I love going to the gym, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary if it's going to stretch your budget, especially when it's summer and you can get outside right now. Winter may be another ballgame. :)
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Find a workout buddy who has a nice free apartment gym. ;)
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    I faced the same dilema when I was unemployed a few years ago. My gym membership however wasn't $20 or $30 a month it was $65. For me that was a big deal. I was unemployed and I had 2 kids living with me that I had to support on my own.

I bought a used Wii and bought used fitness games for it as well as some strength DVD's (30 day Shred, Ripped in 30, Jackie Warner). I bought some dumb bells to use witht the DVD's. It was much cheaper than a gym membership that i'd have to pay every month and I could exercise at any time in the comfort of my own home.

I can't do without exercise and I find that it's more convenient and cheaper and enjoyable using my Wii and DVD's. I still get most of the benefits that I did at the gym. I don't have the heavy duty equipment but with the right DVD's you still target every part of your body and work in helping to tone and lose weight.
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    The biggest loss I had was working out at home, while I was on EI, to a $5 WATP Leslie Sansone DVD that I got at Zellers, LOL.

I just recently canceled my Goodlife membership because I DON'T USE IT and it was costing me $100 a month nearly for my boyfriend and I. I used it more when I lived 45 minutes outside of the city than I have in the last six months since I moved into town! I have a dog so I am usually walking 2.5KM minimum with him daily + I walk to work (and did even in March) which is another 2.5KM, so that definitely helps.

But it sounds like you would benefit from it, so you are the only one who knows what is right for you. :)