Heart Rate Monitor with Calories Burned

Options
13»

Replies

• Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I found out that for my birthday my dad is going to get me a Polar FT7 - Told him I either wanted a FT4 or FT7 - Happy 40th to me.

So with that being said I heard that Polar is the way to go - especially from the reviews I have seen on here!
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Bowflex watch HRM from Groupon yesterday for $10! Score!

I saw that deal! I almost snagged one even though I have a Polar FT4, but then saw it doesnt tell you calories burned :grumble:

It doesn't tell you the calories burned??? What's the point then? I hope my sister didn't buy it... :(

I cross referenced it with several websites to make sure - and it definitely does not tell calories burned. It's strictly for telling you where your heart rate is while working out. I hope she didnt either! :noway:
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    A HRM and http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

If you have a computer and you're on a budget then why waste cash... you don't need extra functions, just heart rate.

^^^ This... seriously a $35 HRM will give you all the info you need.
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. I picked it up from ****'s Sporting Goods for about $80-90. I love it and think it's definitely worth it. I had trouble deciding on the FT4, 7, 80, 40, 60, etc. I finally picked the FT4 because it is in my price range and I didn't need all the fancy stuff that comes with the newer models.
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    "btw: the ft4 has to be sent in/taken in to an authorized Polar facility to change the batteries, where the ft7's batteries can be changed by the user; that's worth the extra money, IMO. :)"

Really? I actually just changed the batteries on my ft4 myself with no problems... Maybe I have a newer model or something?

My FT4's batteries can also be changed at home. It has little cirlce "doors" that can turned with a coin etc and they open to reveal the battery compartment. I have heard that if you send them off to be changed they change the rubber seal to insure they remain water proof but for me I don't use it while swimming so it's not an issue.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    OP - I would also recommend the Polar FT4. You may have to spend a bit more but it does what you want and is reliable. Look around for deals online or at your local sport supply stores. A friend of mine got one for around $50 with a coupon and a sale.
    "btw: the ft4 has to be sent in/taken in to an authorized Polar facility to change the batteries, where the ft7's batteries can be changed by the user; that's worth the extra money, IMO. :)"

Really? I actually just changed the batteries on my ft4 myself with no problems... Maybe I have a newer model or something?

FrugalMomsRoc has now corrected herself. She may have been thinking of the F6 or F4 - older models didn't allow you to change the batteries yourself in the chest strap as it was one solid unit that couldn't be opened. You had to either send it back to Polar or bring it to an authorized jeweler. You could change the battery in the watch part yourself but it compromised water resistance - not a problem for most folks since this only applied if you used it swimming.
  • OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i bought a cheap one $40 and it was a p.o.s. so i went ahead and got a polar ft4 it was $75 with tax and all and it was the best decision i ever made!
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119
    Options
    I have a New Balance one, not sure of the model. It works good enough, and I'm happy I got it because my actual calorie burn according to the HRM is less than what MFP estimates. My only complaint is the chest strap, i have to put it on like 15-20 mins before I start working out in order for it to really start reading my heart rate, which is fine, and maybe even normal, it's the only HRM monitor I've ever worn so maybe this is normal.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

I saw that deal! I almost snagged one even though I have a Polar FT4, but then saw it doesnt tell you calories burned :grumble:

It doesn't tell you the calories burned??? What's the point then? I hope my sister didn't buy it... :(

There are websites that calculate your cals burned based off of weight, avg HR during activity and duration of activity. Like I stated before, if an HRM doesn't allow you to plug in your body stats, the cals burned isn't going to be accurate anyway. And the Bowflex one has no chest strap, so that's definitely not accurate.

Cals by Avg HR, weight and activity duration - http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

I know the Bowflex one without a chest strap isn't that accurate. Please see my previous comment on that...

As for that site, it isn't all that accurate, either. I input my info from some of my workouts logged on my ft7, and it over estimated by about 100 calories.

I used to use this one before I got my HRM: http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm I realized it was overestimating a bit too (by just about the same as the one you linked).

mfp overestimates on some of my exercises, is dead on with some, and underestimates on others...

It's still all just a crap shoot. ;)
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I use a Zephyr Bluetooth HRM chest strap which pairs up with my cell phone and an app call Endomondo (from there I can track calories, avg heart rate over the workout, or get specific. If using the gps on the phone and am outdoors it will track my route, elevation etc). The HRM is also rechargeable.

HRM itself retails for about 75$ and the company itself from its site deals with military and pro sports teams.

I've only been using for a little while but from what I have seen and experienced, I am liking it very much.

The other thing to mention is I believe this is only for android phones... does not work with apple, windows from what I can tell.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance one, not sure of the model. It works good enough, and I'm happy I got it because my actual calorie burn according to the HRM is less than what MFP estimates. My only complaint is the chest strap, i have to put it on like 15-20 mins before I start working out in order for it to really start reading my heart rate, which is fine, and maybe even normal, it's the only HRM monitor I've ever worn so maybe this is normal.

Nope, not normal. Should be within seconds.

You may have a heart and electrical charge that makes it difficult to read too.

Do you wet the contact areas with moisture to see if it improves things.

It may be you.
    Got some friends that got something for their bed that discharges electrical energy or something, but interesting side effect is the HRM straps and free EKG readings at health booths don't work anymore at all. Though they've never kept them on for very long, so I'll mention it may be matter of time.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

There are websites that calculate your cals burned based off of weight, avg HR during activity and duration of activity. Like I stated before, if an HRM doesn't allow you to plug in your body stats, the cals burned isn't going to be accurate anyway. And the Bowflex one has no chest strap, so that's definitely not accurate.

Cals by Avg HR, weight and activity duration - http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

I know the Bowflex one without a chest strap isn't that accurate. Please see my previous comment on that...

As for that site, it isn't all that accurate, either. I input my info from some of my workouts logged on my ft7, and it over estimated by about 100 calories.

I used to use this one before I got my HRM: http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm I realized it was overestimating a bit too (by just about the same as the one you linked).

mfp overestimates on some of my exercises, is dead on with some, and underestimates on others...

It's still all just a crap shoot. ;)

I always just take 10% off the cals it spits out, just as a conservative approach. Kind of overestimate what I eat too.
  • joyzeejay
    joyzeejay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    For strictly a HRM, Polar has been awesome. I switched to a Garmin (FR60, I think?) so I could also track my runs. It was a bit more expensive, but also allows me to track other items.