Bad habit.............

Options
:grumble: I have one bad habit that I believe is preventing me from losing weight..........I love, love love coffee but my downfall to it is I have to put a TON of sugar in it!!! I get an extra large dark roast coffee at Sheetz and put 19 sugars and about 1/2 cup of half and half in it!!! I have tried Splenda, Truvia, etc and it just doesnt taste the same!!!! I just cant seem to give up this habit!!!!!

Replies

• Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    i used to do that. i forced myself to put in zero suagrs, and after a week or two i got used to it, and even started to prefer it to the übersweetness I used to chug down.

try :flowerforyou:
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have tried before to cut it in half.....maybe I'll try again............it is hard for me......I have been doing this for years......I guess I'll just have to try....I have no other choice!!! lol :wink:
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    I used to use sugar also. Stopped cold turkey. I started drinking weaker coffee and then gradually made it stronger but no sugar. It is really much better black
  • Zara11
    Options
    Don't cut it in half.

Go cold turkey.

and... really, all it takes is willpower. so buckle down and be ready to be proud of yourself in a few days.
  • kammy92
    Options
    I'll try it......not making any promises though! My willpower is good for some things................hopefully for this it will work..........:wink:
  • joanewright
    Options
    I just quit cold turkey...I LOVED to have hazelnut creamer and sweetener in my coffee, and drank at least 2 in the morning, a few at work, them sometimes a pot at night. It was just easier for me to quit buying creamer when I ran out, so I did. What happened...is...I don't drinrk near as much coffee and drink lots more water...
  • Zara11
    Options
    I'll try it......not making any promises though! My willpower is good for some things................hopefully for this it will work..........:wink:

Make a promise, because if you don't, you won't feel any guilt / will rationalize away putting all those sugars in after a few days. I mean.... it depends on how much you really want it. If you want it enough, you'll do it. So don't start to undermine your own goals by not being willing to put in the effort to get there!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I use to drink a pot of coffee everyday with vanilla liquid creamer .... now i buy the international vanilla coffee sugar free ( believe it or not ITS GOOD ) lol

GOOD LUCK and KNOW THAT YOU CAN QUIT THE SUGAR IN COFFEE HABIT
  • sef218
    sef218 Posts: 9
    Options
    wow that is a lot of sugar but you can try to slowly change it. I used to used cream and sugar in my coffee. I slowly weened myself off. I put one less sure a day and started to swap the splenda. You can't do it all at once. Now I don't use any sugar but .... I found coffeemate sugar free carmel vanilla coffee creamer. It is awesome. I use a Tablespoon in each mug of coffee for about 25 calories. and thats it. I really like it and if I run out I freak out. But it was a long slow process to get to there. you may want to try weening slowly at first

258747.png
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have this same bad habit and that is exactly what it is. I don't smoke or drink (occasionally) so this is my vice. However, like you, if I could ditch it, it would tremendously help my weight loss, I feel. It's difficult and I have quit before. I may just have to kill it also. I usually have it made regular with cream and sugar. It's not good. Coffee is a great antidioxidant by itself but, not good with the cream (fat) and sugar (fat). Uggh. Yup, maybe this will give me the motivation to go black.... :cry:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Wowza, that's a lot of sugar! Though...I can easily eat that much sugar in the form of junk food. It's one hard, hard habit to break...
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    I do the same! I've been told I take a little coffee with my cream/sugar!! :laugh:

I have switched to truvia and only one small spoon of sugar and creamer. I only have about a small cup in the a.m. and that's all for the day, so that's how I justify it. :glasses: It would be hard to switch to black. :noway:
  • kammy92
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for the advice!!!! It is going to be hard at first for me but it's something I have to do to control my weight and keep it off!!! Thank goodness I don't eat alot of junk food, hardly any at that!!! Tomorrow will be the true test!!! :indifferent:
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    :grumble: I have one bad habit that I believe is preventing me from losing weight..........I love, love love coffee but my downfall to it is I have to put a TON of sugar in it!!! I get an extra large dark roast coffee at Sheetz and put 19 sugars and about 1/2 cup of half and half in it!!! I have tried Splenda, Truvia, etc and it just doesnt taste the same!!!! I just cant seem to give up this habit!!!!!

My teeth hurt reading that.

:)

I'm hooked on bottled frappuchinos. Perhaps that also has the equivalent of 19 sugars, but I may be in denial. :)
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I started drinking coffee to curb my appetite. Now it is a night time ritual. I use 8-10 teaspoons for 2.66 mugs so it's not so bad calorie wise. But I started adding milk recently thinking the caesin protein would bathe my muscles at night to speed healing :bigsmile:.

I'd take a way one sugar at a time. :flowerforyou:
  • frogg2allegra
    Options
    I drink coffee everyday. I don't know if you have a Cash and Carry close to you but I go and buy sugarfree syrups-less than $4.00- 750 ml (usually caramel but there are about 20 different flavors you can choose from, by-stay away from german chocolate cake-ehh nasty). Anyhow, 2 T of real half and half only has 40 calories and with my espresso maker and sugar free syrups I really don't feel deprived. If you have a little of the real stuff (cream) then hopefully you won't feel deprived either and you can sweeten it as you like. My only side note: when eating any sugar subsitute your body realizes it is being "tricked" and will often lead you to seeking real sugar. So...I try to always eat some protein/complex carb with my coffee so my blood sugar doesn't plummet and I end up looking for that sweet thing that I shouldn't be eating. Well, it works for me. I refuse to give up my coffee so, I had to find something that works within my limits and that I can live with for the rest of my life. Wish you the best and I hope that you find something that works for you :):smile::smile: :smile:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

My teeth hurt reading that.

:)

I'm hooked on bottled frappuchinos. Perhaps that also has the equivalent of 19 sugars, but I may be in denial. :)

LOL... I used to order my cofffee at the coffee shop-- Large Mocha extra extra sugar, so sweet it makes your teeth crack. After sipping and asking for more sugar a couple of times, they got the hint. I don't go to the coffee shop any more. Because I still like it so sweet it makes your teeth crack:laugh: :laugh:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee everyday. I don't know if you have a Cash and Carry close to you but I go and buy sugarfree syrups-less than $4.00- 750 ml (usually caramel but there are about 20 different flavors you can choose from, by-stay away from german chocolate cake-ehh nasty). Anyhow, 2 T of real half and half only has 40 calories and with my espresso maker and sugar free syrups I really don't feel deprived. If you have a little of the real stuff (cream) then hopefully you won't feel deprived either and you can sweeten it as you like. My only side note: when eating any sugar subsitute your body realizes it is being "tricked" and will often lead you to seeking real sugar. So...I try to always eat some protein/complex carb with my coffee so my blood sugar doesn't plummet and I end up looking for that sweet thing that I shouldn't be eating. Well, it works for me. I refuse to give up my coffee so, I had to find something that works within my limits and that I can live with for the rest of my life. Wish you the best and I hope that you find something that works for you :):smile::smile: :smile:

Those sugar free syrups are available in other stores besides Cash n Carry, but C & C seems to have the best selection of flavors.
  • jbunzsno
    jbunzsno Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee, but if I did I would probably put about that much sugar in it. I am a sugaholic! The one thing that has helped with temptation is I will look at it as an addiction, it is a problem and I can't fix it if I keep eating it. Ya know how they always say "the first step is admitting you have a problem"?Well consider your first step checked off. :bigsmile: I just wish they had sugaholics-anonymous!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Either quit the coffee, to green tea or something, drop the sugar, tsp by tsp, or learn to like stevia.:flowerforyou: I quit my sugar crap a week ago to clean eating and feel great. I still use art sweetners in my coffee and tea, but am cutting it down, pkg, by pkg. Let's do this together. Make a challenge. Start a thread. People who want to make change and with certain behaviors will join. We're all here to support each other.:drinker: