Anyone knowledable about juicing?

Options
Jflowwers
Jflowwers Posts: 137 Member
I am super excited, as I just purchased a juicer! I usually go to the organic market and get a green juice and spend like 7 dollars. I figured I would try doing it myself. It's ridiclously messy and you have to use a ton of stuff to get a small juice, but anyways.... My question is , how do you log it ? For example today I used two apples (next time I will use one) , 3 cups of kale and 2 cups of spinach. I thought I would just log that, but the pulp container was FULL. So obviously Im not actually consuming the whole 2 apples, 3 cups of kale and 2 cups of spinach. Also, how am I benifitting from the juice without the fiber (pulp) . Any info would be appreciated!

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I personally would log the whole thing. Unless you want to weigh the pulp and subtract off the calories at the rate of carbohydrates, which fiber is, at 4 calories per gram.

I know people adore their juicing but I prefer a smoothie because it has all that beneficial fiber to slow digestion, aid in fullness and it's just good for you. I've had it drilled into my brain that juice is the concentrated calories of the food and it's best to eat the whole item. Though I'm sure if you're having juices that are terrific foods like lemon, ginger, etc. that you wouldn't be eating 'whole' necessarily, that's probably really good for you.
  • Jflowwers
    Options
    Thanks. I was thinking about juicing and then adding some of the pulp into a blender with the juice. I think if I just tried to do the whole thing as a smoothie, I would be grossed out . Haha.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I was thinking about juicing and then adding some of the pulp into a blender with the juice. I think if I just tried to do the whole thing as a smoothie, I would be grossed out . Haha.

Just throw it all into a blender with a cup of spinach or kale and call it a green monster. ;-)
  • Jflowwers
    Options
    Ill try it.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    One thing you may try is to add lemon to the juice. My wife and I found the kale hard to stomach. We upped the spinnach and we put one entire lemon in the juice. For us at least, it made all of the difference in the world.

I don't just juice though, I drink it to supplement my vitamins, etc.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Here's the basic recipe that I use, just tossing it into a blender, in order:

1 cp raw kale or raw spinach
    1 - 1.5 cps of various fruits (berries, apples, red grapes, cherries, and/or half a banana)
    1 cp almond milk (or rice milk or low-fat milk)
    1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
    1/2 cp ice

Sometimes I'll swap out 1/2 cp of fruit for 1 tbsp of peanutbutter or gnutella.

Usually it runs 250-350 calories depending on the exact ingredients.
  • April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bump - Interested in this as well.
  • Jflowwers
    Options

1 - 1.5 cps of various fruits (berries, apples, red grapes, cherries, and/or half a banana)
    1/2 cp ice

do you have a vitamix?? I dont think my blender could take that all on.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    There are recipes for things to do with the pulp, too. I don't know where or what but I bet you could google something up.
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Jae Steele has a recipe for juicer pulp muffins. I like to juice but I consume all of it too. Just the juice doesn't leave me satisfied. I do coconut water, some vega protein, kale or spinach and frozen berries a lot of the time. Soooo good! You can totally omit the protein, I just like it.

Oh, and beets with apple, lemon and ginger through a juicer is sooooo good!
  • carinnaj
    carinnaj Posts: 149
    Options
    bump
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I am super excited, as I just purchased a juicer! I usually go to the organic market and get a green juice and spend like 7 dollars. I figured I would try doing it myself. It's ridiclously messy and you have to use a ton of stuff to get a small juice, but anyways.... My question is , how do you log it ? For example today I used two apples (next time I will use one) , 3 cups of kale and 2 cups of spinach. I thought I would just log that, but the pulp container was FULL. So obviously Im not actually consuming the whole 2 apples, 3 cups of kale and 2 cups of spinach. Also, how am I benifitting from the juice without the fiber (pulp) . Any info would be appreciated!

I just log it as eating the fruits/veggies. When it comes to greens I prefer smoothies. Kale blueberry water, Spinach mango water, etc etc. I feel I get more from the greens when I smoothie them, but I do keep Kale/Chard stalks to juice for later. When juicing, I go the ginger, carrot, apple, sweet potato, celery, cucumber, beets, radishes type route (not all at once... well maybe sometimes)
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I do smoothies too, 1 cup kale, 1 grapefruit, 1 banana, 0.5 tbs flaxseed, 1 cup water,
  • XjuliaXannX
    XjuliaXannX Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    juicing is great! cucumbers mask anything you might not like the taste of.
  • Jflowwers
    Options
    I do smoothies too, 1 cup kale, 1 grapefruit, 1 banana, 0.5 tbs flaxseed, 1 cup water,

Stupid question, but how do you measure out kale. On A scale? Itsa more caloric then I realized! Does the chunkiness of the kale bother you?
  • Jflowwers
    Options

1/2 cp ice

yum!
  • Jflowwers
    Options

I just log it as eating the fruits/veggies. When it comes to greens I prefer smoothies. Kale blueberry water, Spinach mango water, etc etc. I feel I get more from the greens when I smoothie them, but I do keep Kale/Chard stalks to juice for later. When juicing, I go the ginger, carrot, apple, sweet potato, celery, cucumber, beets, radishes type route (not all at once... well maybe sometimes)

You can juice sweet potato?? :)
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I so thought this thread was going to be about steroids...
  • sjn0623
    sjn0623 Posts: 5
    Options
    I recommend a book entitled "The Complete Book of Juicing" by Michael T. Murray, N.D., which contains over 150 fruit and vegetable juice recipes and the approximate nutrient content including calories for each recipe. I find that the suggested recipes inspire me to try various healthy and delicious combinations, and to modify them and experiment with my own creations. For every fruit and vegetable, there is detailed information including key benefits and nutritional analysis. And there is a section on juice recommendations for common health conditions. It also includes a good explanation of the health benefits of juicing.