Anyone knowledable about juicing?

Options

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I love our juicer!
    I just go to the market and grab anything and everything fresh, then come home a juice away.
    I like to juice green, nasty veggies and mix them with apples and carrots.
    We make bread with some of the pulp - LOVE IT!
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You can log it as raw juice for apples, and with some other fruits and such it's in the database.
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i juiced for about 3 months straight and LOVED it. Things i learned -

1)add lemon juice if you are juicing spinach or kale
    2)add benefiber or fiber supplement to juices since you are extracting all of the fiber when you juice
    3)don't try to go crazy all at once - i ended up cranky with a massive headache - i started out replacing 2 meals and a snack w/juice and then i ate a sensible dinner w/my family - this works, trust me.
    4)the cost is cheaper than already made juices but it will take you longer to purchase, wash, slice, juice and clean up than to just purchase a juice like NAKED or BOLTHOUSE FARMS which are both tasty and affordable in my opinion
    5)be proud of yourself for making a health conscious decision. it takes a lot to stick w/a juicing program and you deserve to brag about it when the weight comes off, your skin looks better and you feel better physically.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! by the way, i still juice about 3 times a week, once per day...
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Would love to hear what every one starts to say!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Add 1 Tbsp chia seeds to 1 cup of pulp...mix together then spread 1/4 inch thick on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until crisp. makes yummy crackers!!

As to the calories of fresh juice: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/fresh-juiced-raw
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Yep, I totally thought this was the other kind of juice as well.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I have heard of this whole system of subtracting so many calories per gram of fiber but the juice is SO good for you, I just log it in as 200 calories per (big) glass because that is a rough guess-estimate. Also, what type of juicer do you have? I have a breville multi speed juicer and you can put a plastic bag in the waste bin. It really helps reduce clean up. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask me! I love juicing and have done several juice fasts too. Best wishes to you :flowerforyou:
  • Jflowwers
    Jflowwers Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You can log it as raw juice for apples, and with some other fruits and such it's in the database.

THANK YOU!
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Stupid question, but how do you measure out kale. On A scale? Itsa more caloric then I realized! Does the chunkiness of the kale bother you?

I measure by volume, not weight. One cup, chopped, has about 35 calories (rounded up).

The "green monsters" do have a consistency that's thicker than a traditional "smoothie", and definitely thicker than anything going through a juicer (in part because of the flax meal that I use), but it doesn't bother me. I actually like that they're a bit "chewy". If I didn't like it, I wouldn't drink it. :)

With the Waring blender that I use, it's not "chunky" at all. If your blender isn't able to really puree everything in there, I'd imagine you could find a few surprise chunks of fruit, but the kale/spinach should blend pretty easily.
  • zoealexandria
    zoealexandria Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I fill up a couple of empty water bottles of healthy juice stuff and have it at work / while I'm out and about during the day...

I now find that my body craves it!
  • Jflowwers
    Options
    Add 1 Tbsp chia seeds to 1 cup of pulp...mix together then spread 1/4 inch thick on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until crisp. makes yummy crackers!!

As to the calories of fresh juice: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/fresh-juiced-raw

yum!! Im so doing this!
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    What a great idea!!!:flowerforyou:
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Lots of juicing recipe books. Check them out at your local library
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    juicing is great! cucumbers mask anything you might not like the taste of.

Cucumbers are one of the things I can't stand juiced! lol Celery is up there too. Luckily I like them both just fine whole. :o)
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    my go-to juice recipe..I have a Breville

1 Orange, 2 Carrot, 2 celery handfull of spinach, 2 kale leaves and a big piece of ginger. ( I like it spicy)
    I also will throw in cucumber or beet or chard whatever I have on hand.
    beets are a natural laxative, so use a half..
  • Jflowwers
    Options
    I'm loving it so far, but I have been going way over my sugar. I have been adding one piece of fruit in. Not sure if I should be concerned.
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I have learned so much from all of your post. It is funny to me that people think Juicing is steroids. LOL. Oh my.
  • jasonheyd
    Options
    I'm loving it so far, but I have been going way over my sugar. I have been adding one piece of fruit in. Not sure if I should be concerned.

I tend to go over MFP's sugar limits pretty regularly, but since it's almost all from fruit, I don't worry too much about it... I just try to watch "added sugar" more closely.

If you're specifically on a low-carb diet, or trying to manage carbs more closely, then the 1.5 cps of fruit that I use can be a bit much.

You might be able to dial it back to 1/2 a banana and 1/2 of some other fruit, but it'll still be a solid chunk o' carbs.
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

I tend to go over MFP's sugar limits pretty regularly, but since it's almost all from fruit, I don't worry too much about it... I just try to watch "added sugar" more closely.

If you're specifically on a low-carb diet, or trying to manage carbs more closely, then the 1.5 cps of fruit that I use can be a bit much.

You might be able to dial it back to 1/2 a banana and 1/2 of some other fruit, but it'll still be a solid chunk o' carbs.

Aren't carbs from fruit the good carbs? Different than carbs from bread or something like that? (honest question!) :o)
  • jasonheyd
    Options
    Aren't carbs from fruit the good carbs? Different than carbs from bread or something like that? (honest question!) :o)

I think this is one of those :drinker: questions. :-)

There's a lot of back and forth about that on these forums & elsewhere. I generally try to worry about "added sugar" more than the "natural sugar" that's in fruit, but I also try to balance our carbs, fat, and protein.

Mayo Clinic has some carb/sugar related info here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/carbohydrates/MY01458
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/added-sugar/my00845