A poll: How often does your family eat out?

Options

Replies

• txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    We used to go out once a week. Since I started this in April, we went out of town one weekend, so every meal for three days was out. Other than that, I've eaten out one other time, and that was last weekend. I immediately got right back on track, so I didn't put on any weight.

We'll be going out to dinner for a family celebration next weekend (Thai food, my favorite!) but I'll eat much less the rest of that day to try to compensate.

We live far enough in the country that it takes us at least 20-30 minutes to go to any of the places we like. I also love to cook, and make as much from scratch as possible. This makes it much easier.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    4-6 times a week - we're living in a hotel for the summer. At home, about 2 X a week.
  • lrlnss
    lrlnss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My husband and I go out to eat once a week for a date night... occasionally we'll meet up with friends and eat out another night too but that's only about 2 times per month in addition to the weekly.
  • krazykristen123
    krazykristen123 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Before i went on my weight loss journey about 3-4 times
    Now only 1-2 and if we do we usually go to Subway
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Maybe once or twice a month. And never "fast food". We'll do sushi. It's so damn expensive, I can't understand how people can afford to eat out so much.
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    As a family 2-3 times a week - My husband and I work together so we eat lunch out 3-4 times a week - breakfast maybe once every couple of months...
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Once perhaps twice a month at most!
    But then I am in the UK.......
  • healthyamberB
    healthyamberB Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    about 2-3 times a year. i have a family of penny pinchers....
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I have lunch out maybe once a week. My husband gets his lunch out almost every day that he works....so probably 14 days a month. We order pizza once a week and maybe go to a restaurant a couple of times a month.

It's more than I would like in an ideal world.....but a lot less than most.
  • andreamkelly
    andreamkelly Posts: 169
    Options
    We used to pick up fast food or order in several times a week and I'd have lunch delivered everyday at work. Not anymore. We went out for Mother's Day and I take my mom out every Sunday after church, but that is it now since are both trying to eat healthier. Unfortunately our ideas about what is healthy don't mesh together, so we normally eat different things for dinner.
  • cOOkieLpX
    cOOkieLpX Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    As a family, maybe 2 times a month. If someone in the family is craving something in particular then I try to make it myself from scratch. Homemade grilled pizza is one of the family favorites.
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    We eat out 0-2 times per week.

Meal planning makes all the difference in the world.

This is so true!! And in our house, it needs to include posting the plan so that whoever gets home first can get dinner started.

Our work schedules are fixed, so we've assigned cooking days to each person. The recipe is posted on the fridge and it's only supposed to take 10-30 minutes to make. So easy! Remembering to go grocery shopping is the "hard" part. Haha.
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    At my moms house she'll buy takeout about 0-1 time a week...& when she does buy takeout it's Chinese food....a lot of people in my family are like that..I guess it's a cultural thing (African)
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Usually, once or twice a week for lunch. Definitely every Friday night dinner. Sometimes lunches on the weekend.
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Once or twice a week. usually on my husbands day off when we are out spending time together.
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    once or twice every 3-4 months
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    1-2 times a week. It's too expensive.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Usually just on the weekends, more than I would like lately. probably 2-3 times. During the week though usually zero, or maybe once every other week when I'm just burnt out or have no food. lol
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I can probably count on both hands the number of times we went out to a resturant as a family. Might not even need both. So it as a huge treat, and even pizza or burgers was a once every couple week or two was a big treat. Unfortunately that restaurants-as-treat or celebration kind of got hard wired and i'm trying to break that.

Now its just me and a lot of my socializing involves going out to eat with friends. I eat out less now mostly working from home than I used to when I went into the office, and I've been teaching myself to cook things I particularly like like Thai and Indian. So it's kind of a mix of microwave (often trader joes), going out, and cooking something from scratch. Still I probably go out (counting both sit down and fast food) every couple few days.

These days most of the fast food is taco bell fresco style, Arbys (sandwich only, no cheese, only 1 arbys sauce, added tomato and onion) or BK whopper junior no mayo. Going out with friends at sit down restaurants has been one of the hardest parts so far, because I have to really consciously make an effort not to go back to my old habits. It feels like a celebration somehow and I go in to that mode with the food. Some of those entrees (like at Friday's) are huge. But with it being such a part of my social life, its hard to just not. I have been tempting people back for home cooked Thai at times, but a lot of my friends are about an hour away, so meeting at a restaurant is often easier.
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Too many times for my tastes! I live with my parents (I'm the only child left in the house), so my mother doesn't like cooking that much, so we eat out a couple of times a week--I've been trying to decline invitations out & cook at home, but sometimes I am just TOO tired at the end of the night to be bothered. Sometimes it's just way easier to go out and grab something vs slaving over the kitchen cooking a meal for one or two.

On the weekends (Friday-Sun) I stay with my boyfriend and in the past, we have had a tendency to eat out Friday and Saturday nights (most Sundays I come back home). Thankfully in a fight to get healthier (and a constant struggle with my weight) before we move in together and get married, we started cooking on the weekends.

I ordered a pot from Pampered Chef that I'm SUPER excited about and I know will increase my cooking days because this is going to make cooking my healthy meals SO much easier! Especially for cooking for one or two and no more slaving over a stove!