MFP's 5Week weight prediction?

Options
Did any one actually get down to the 5 week weight prediction made by MFP in the food diary? if so what what was your starting weight and what was the prediction that you achieved

Replies

• sniderjosh1
    sniderjosh1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It was pretty accurate for me, but I had a super consistent eating and exercise plan at the time. If you have one day where you're "on track to lose 40 lbs" and the next day you're "on track to gain 30 lbs", you definitely shouldn't expect it to be very accurate.
  • wyattjenniferl97
    wyattjenniferl97 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A few times. Mostly when work was so stressful that I was just eating the same things and doing the same exercise because anything else required too much brain power.

I do the prediction once a week because the downwards trend is encouraging. I don’t expect it to be accurate.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    every day would have to be like that day for it to work. It is just math, if you were in a deficit on that day of 750 cals, your 5-week loss would be 7.5 lbs. (750*7days*5 weeks)/3,500 cals/lb
  • evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    So after tracking it for a week eating 1500 calories +/- 50 the 5 week projection changed by less than a pound. I have exercise calories OFF, and with it on I find it will give you much more varied numbers.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    So after tracking it for a week eating 1500 calories +/- 50 the 5 week projection changed by less than a pound. I have exercise calories OFF, and with it on I find it will give you much more varied numbers.

What's really relevant is what happens to actual body weight on average after 4-6 weeks.

The 5-weeks prediction may be a little more consistent when eating consistently for a week, but body weight will still fluctuate unpredictably over that short a time because of random water/waste fluctuations that aren't related to body fat . . . and it's still only telling you something that's based on a statistically average person, when you may not be average or even close.
  • evileyefirefly
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

What's really relevant is what happens to actual body weight on average after 4-6 weeks.

The 5-weeks prediction may be a little more consistent when eating consistently for a week, but body weight will still fluctuate unpredictably over that short a time because of random water/waste fluctuations that aren't related to body fat . . . and it's still only telling you something that's based on a statistically average person, when you may not be average or even close.

Agree, I just was experimenting and tracking. From my Oct weight loss and Jul-now the predicted (Without exercise added in) is pretty close.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Agree, I just was experimenting and tracking. From my Oct weight loss and Jul-now the predicted (Without exercise added in) is pretty close.

With accurate profile settings, my actual weight change is wildly far off MFP's estimate if I add exercise calories (25-30% off), and even more wildly far off if I don't add exercise calories.

Most people are close to the statistical averages. A few aren't. I'm not.

My point is that OP needs a longer observation time to understand how average they are or aren't.
  • evileyefirefly
    Options
    [/quote]With accurate profile settings, my actual weight change is wildly far off MFP's estimate if I add exercise calories (25-30% off), and even more wildly far off if I don't add exercise calories.

My point is that OP needs a longer observation time to understand how average they are or aren't. [/quote]

Interesting. I'd think it would be the other way around, but obviously you're an outlier. In the end though, the MFP prediction is not really a useful tool in my opinion. I guess it serves a purpose to show you what "could be", and for some people that could be encouraging. I typically just disregard it,

• jaded989
    jaded989 Posts: 163 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I mostly disregard it as it is way off for me. I am definitely far from average (and not in a good way). I am generally consistent day to day (calorie intake and excercise are fairly consistent) but don't I even come close to the 5 week projection so I just don't bother with it anymore.
  • walkintofit
    walkintofit Posts: 3,492 Member
    Options
    I am not close to it either. I don't lose at 1200 calories a day. I lose at 900 -1000 calories. I am 5ft small build, fairly active, on my feet at work:retail . I average 1300 c a day. Walk bike, row for exercise 3xw.
    not willing to go that low on calories.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you posted this to get me on track. Back in 2011 I lost 85 lbs and the main thing I did is if the "you will weigh in this much in 5 weeks" was not a loss of some sort- even if it was like -1 lb- I would work off the differnece or if I was coding well and knew in advance change a food choice that was basically my one rule and I lost the 85 that way. I am going to go back to that plan. :smiley: Thank you SO much!
  • AnnPT77
    edited October 2023
    Options
    With accurate profile settings, my actual weight change is wildly far off MFP's estimate if I add exercise calories (25-30% off), and even more wildly far off if I don't add exercise calories.

My point is that OP needs a longer observation time to understand how average they are or aren't.

Interesting. I'd think it would be the other way around, but obviously you're an outlier. In the end though, the MFP prediction is not really a useful tool in my opinion. I guess it serves a purpose to show you what "could be", and for some people that could be encouraging. I typically just disregard it,

I 100% agree that disregarding it is a good plan . . . unless someone can take it rather lightly as a possible motivator, not as Revealed Truth. For sure, no one should be discouraged by the prediction to the point of giving up quickly.

One's own actual weight loss will tell the story, but it takes time.

Me, I am an outlier, I think, based on 8+ years of logging experience now (most of it in maintenance). I don't know for sure why, but it's so. However, once I figured out my personal calorie needs based on my own logging & weight history, my body weight outcomes became very predictable (as a multi-week average).

Some other people are further off from average, too - and it can be in either direction. They won't know until they get few weeks of careful logging in the books.

Too many people think MFP's estimates put them in a specific deficit and will always result in well-defined weight loss at the level selected. But MFP's estimates - or those from any other calculator - are just a good starting point. They'll be close for a lot of people, but not for everyone.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!