The ugly question that must be asked

Options

Replies

• neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    While we're on this kinda gross topic, I'll add that I had always had bowel movement issues... usually constipation/ not going nearly enough, and then when I did go, it was diaherrea or hard stools, even bloody. I know, gross, but this was an issue that had plagued me since I remember, and at times I even had irritable bowel syndrome. But ever since I started eating clean and getting a lot of fiber through whole foods, I do not have this problem at all, I am pretty much completely regular. That is one of the many reasons I love clean eating.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    My son has megacolon so I've done a lot of research on this subject. The main thing that I've learned is that we have a very long food tube, which measures up to 30-33 feet long from mouth to *kitten*. The usual passage time is 18-72 hours, which shows that the whole digestion process is a slow one. So basically, even if you are "regular" most likely you will have poop in your colon at any given time.

Dietary fiber tends to increase the bulk of the stool, softens it, and likely enhances motility reducing transit time. (according to Dr.Robert Collins) Insoluble fiber does not dissolve or gel in water and is poorly fermented. Insoluble fiber adds bulk to the stool directly. (Insoluble fiber includes wheat bran, corn bran, whole grains, dried beans and peas, popcorn, seeds, nuts, most fruits and veggies, especially carrots, white potatoes, artichokes, broccoli, leeks, and parsnips.) Soluble fiber dissolves in water, becomes a soft gel, and is easily fermented. This would include the pectin in fruit, which retain water adding to bulk and softening. Colon bacteria action on soluble fiber creates gas and helps to increase fecal mass. (Soluble fiber includes psyllium, oat bran, whole oats, rice bran, died beans, chick peas, black-eyed peas, lentils and virtually all fruits and vegies, but especially citrus, apples, pears, sweet potatoes, carrots, okra, cauliflower, and corn.) Some high fiber substances may contain both soluable and insoluble fibers.

So basically what we are eating can increase or decrease the motility of poop. My doctor told me that BM in our colons can be a major reason for our weight fluctuations, along with other factors, and that's why it's recommended to not weigh yourself everyday.
  • terence
    terence Posts: 119
    Options
    That's interesting, ilike2moveit.
    I knew this topic would be rich in content.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    OMG chrissy that has to be the cutest dog ever. What breed is he/she? Boxer?

Katwood - we're hijacking a bit but....she's a Victorian Bulldog - will look very similiar to an English - she's our baby!!! We've had her a month and we're all smitten with her. The absolute sweetest personality we've ever had in a pup.
  • TankLily
    TankLily Posts: 34
    Options
    This will really warp your mind but your digestive tract isn't considered "inside" your body. Ya ya it's under your skin, but we are more like donuts... then soft balls. :) nutriance needs to pass through the stomach, intestine, digestive wall.

The only thing that inters your intestins from your body is water and digestive fluids, Food obviously inters and exits, through your mouth and bottom respectivly.

the point is, Fat does NOT go from your thighs into your blood stream and then some how into your digestive tract where fiber pushes it out of your body.

Fat in your tissue, heart, hips, butt, boobs ext. MUST be metabolized. ((unless it is being extreted threw the skin in sweat, but this is an entirly different process)) The waste from that passes out through unrin after being processed by your liver.

Fat that you eat, Hamburger. lets say. Goes into your digestive tract. Depending on how quickly you pass it among other things determans how much of that fat is absorbed into your body/blood stream.
    Fat that isn't absorbed, continues through your intestines, colon ext and exits.

So Greasy stools arn't a sign of weight loss. They are a sign of poor fat absorbtion.

Fiber requres some water to digest, so water leaves your body goes into your intestins/digestive system.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I can get a major cleansing by eating a Big Mac. Only in my case it's called diarrhea :sick: :bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    A semi-related question I was curious about yesterday after a morning run, the quote below made me think of it:

"Fat in your tissue, heart, hips, butt, boobs ext. MUST be metabolized. ((unless it is being extreted threw the skin in sweat, but this is an entirly different process)) "

This could be age or some other more natural process, but I've noticed that during my intense workouts in recent weeks that not only am I sweating considerably more than ever before (for many years I was very athletic, played very competitive soccer, etc so was used to working hard) and that there is ....erm.... odour that I never had before. It is what I would expect (from being around other sweating athletes) a normal hot & sweaty aroma but I was curious if I am sweating more because I am burning fat?

When I was doing all the athletics in previous years I was always very lean with little/no fat to burn, I wondered if that could be the difference. Just a curiousity, nothing that will change whether I continue to work hard.

Thoughts?
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I am not sure that it is correct to say that a high fiber diet only makes you lose water weight. Eating more fiber keeps you full longer, and therfore you eat fewer calories. Ofcourse if you lose five pounds in a week, that is obviously not all from fat some of it is bound to be water weight. But I think increasing your fiber and protein intake is usually going to make a person lose weight because they just keep you full longer. I should also mention, that I have to eat more than the recommended amount of fiber daily or I get constipated. That is a just a weird thing about my body.
  • TankLily
    TankLily Posts: 34
    Options
    Belldandy: Yes eating more fiber will decrease your appitite and give you the fat feeling... which causes weight loss. It is also nessisary and good for you. But in no direct way does fiber "push or clean" fat from your body (boobs, butt, thights, heart..) it only pushes out the fat you havn't absorbed yet.

Rip girl
    Lots of things come out of your sweat, extra hormones, pharamones, toxins, waste products, fat, salt. Tons and tons. however the fat that is in sweat has little to do with weight loss... it's just your bodies natural lubricants. The odor comes from bacteria... and occasionaly can come from the Amonea and Uria that is in your sweat. If you feel like your sweat has an odor even when it's fresh, this is a strong indication that you need to drink more water.

So then if you think of Sauna's they draw some tiny percentage of fat out of you in the form of lubricants your skin makes and needs... but most weight loss from sweating is water weight.

There are lots of factors that control how much you sweat and how readily you sweat. 80% of it is just Are you hot? But some of it can be genetic factors, as well as physical fitness and hydration.
    I think Lots of sweat is a good thing. After a good sweaty workout and a shower your skin just seems brighter, doesn't it?

Also, my mother says that she sweats more easily now after she has been through menopause. And sweating during menopause is very common.

Also it's important to note that Metabolism Waste like Lactic Acid and CO2 are also in Sweat... So in that way you have almost a direct link from Fat metabolism to sweat!
  • terence
    Options
    This "water weight' and "water retention" thingy has always intrigued me. I'll have to work up another question.
  • terence
    Options
    Fat that you eat, Hamburger. lets say. Goes into your digestive tract. Depending on how quickly you pass it among other things determans how much of that fat is absorbed into your body/blood stream.
    Fat that isn't absorbed, continues through your intestines, colon ext and exits.

Maybe I'm slow, but isn't that what I was surmising? More fiber (to a point, of course) expels the fat faster and therefore less of the fat is absorbed into your body.

Is that what you are saying?
  • curvyone
    curvyone Posts: 22
    Options
    My personal opinion is that even though you used to be regular...u still weren't flushing ALL that needed to be flushed out...the result was bloating. After eating high fiber for several days, you finally got rid of everything you needed to thus getting rid of the bloat. If you are burning more calories than taking in you will lose weight...despite how much you poop out. But if you are retaining to much waste, you're tummy may not show all of your hard work till you properly dispose :D
  • terence
    Options
    My personal opinion is that even though you used to be regular...u still weren't flushing ALL that needed to be flushed out...the result was bloating. After eating high fiber for several days, you finally got rid of everything you needed to thus getting rid of the bloat. If you are burning more calories than taking in you will lose weight...despite how much you poop out. But if you are retaining to much waste, you're tummy may not show all of your hard work till you properly dispose :D

That sounds logical to me curvyone, however every time I think I have something worked out according to logic, an expert shoots it down in flames. :sad:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I tried a similar experiment where I decided to get 75% of my fiber from beans. 3 days no go. I was bloated. I drank what. I little movement but not much. I at popcorn. The damn busted. You have to get the right combinations of fiber also. For me it seems to be popcorn and fibrous fruits and vegies. It may be something different for you. (Oh and I lost the 3 pounds that I should have lost but refused to go away.)
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    i want to know about this question tho!....do u get ur pooping scheduel with the help of genetics as well?.....i eat fairly healthy and lots of fiber but poop once a day sometimes once every 2 days.....same goes for my oldest son......my youngest son poops about 5-7times a day my boyfriend who doesnt even come close to the same fiber count as i do poops about 3 times a day
  • terence
    Options
    For me it seems to be popcorn and fibrous fruits and vegies. It may be something different for you.

Thanks. That will be my next experiment.
  • kaliena22
    Options
    So I know nothing about this topic but hearsay and maybee wives tales so I probabaly should not even be posting, but it was just too much fun I couldn't resist, asking my questions too.

So I have heard 2 things.
    1) It healthy to have stool really smelly because of the trillions of bacteria that are working inside your gut to make you healthy. ( I am pretty sure this is true)

2) These special kinds of bacteria improve metabolism and digestion process. (They are the main reason why your stool stinks.) AND if you want to gage how fast your digestion and metabolism is eat a small amount of charcoal. When you notice it come out count back to when you ingested it and that will tell you how long it takes you to digest your food. Heathier metabolisms digest food and excrete waste faster. Is this true?

PS thanks for having the guts to post this thread
  • taxidermy
    Options

Maybe I'm slow, but isn't that what I was surmising? More fiber (to a point, of course) expels the fat faster and therefore less of the fat is absorbed into your body.

Is that what you are saying?

Yep, that is true! Fiber makes (a bit) more of the fat you eat pass right through you, by both absorbing it and speeding up its going through your system. Fiber is also good for weight loss because it's not rich in energy but makes you feel full for a longer time...
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Just remember to drink a lot of water with fiber, if not it can block you up.
  • terence
    Options
    PS thanks for having the guts to post this thread

I'm looking forward to the day that I no longer have the guts. :laugh: