Free food in the office

Options
OK, so this week at work has been trying. Monday, someone brought in Bagels & Cream Cheese. Wednesday, someone brought in doughnuts. Today, someone brought in Bagels & Cream Cheese again! To make it worse, my section of the small office we are in is usually the landing spot for all of the free food.

So my question....what do you do to avoid the temptation of the free food in your offce?

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you can avoid it so just ignore it. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to eat it. Find something healthy to eat and go with that.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    walk away and avoid eye contact with any treats... keep drinking water and eating fruit and nuts ... refuse to believe resistance is futile!
  • MrsRando
    MrsRando Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Have a very small taste and then move on! lol, jk. Usually it is to avoid. I think it would be best if the items are kept in the other room. It is easier to avoid.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid. I choose the best option and log it and workout extra. Or eat less.
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    I pack my lunch and snacks for work every day except Fridays, and bring coffee in a travel mug. Here is how I decide what to do about free food at work:

1. Is it a social thing, ie. is everyone gathering for coffee and snacks? If so, I'll at least go over with my mug. I might take my planned snack (a piece of fruit or whatever) if I haven't had it yet. That way I don't miss out on the social aspect and my hands are busy.

2. Could I have bought whatever it is myself if I'd wanted some? If so, I usually pass. I could just go get a bagel or donut if I wanted one. It's not like I am passing on the bagels and donuts I could buy every day just because they cost money.

If homemade or special treats are involved, I'll usually indulge in a sensible portion and do my best to fit it in to my plan. This may mean saving part of my lunch for another day, having a smaller portion of dinner, or going for a longer walk with my dog after work.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    That's rough. I don't have an answer for it just want to send support. I don't know if I could do it.
  • MikMont
    MikMont Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yeah so....I am the person responsible for bringing bagels, pastries, tacos etc to the office. So I have to sit in my car and smell that deliciousness at least once a week. It sucks. Big time. But I just sit there and eat my walnuts or fruit to get through it. lol I don't do "small bites" Its best for me to just not have any at all.
  • amysuespears
    amysuespears Posts: 127
    Options
    I have a supervisor that is an amazing baker, and she bakes treats for us all the time. She expects us to eat them or she is offended. At first, I was eating them. But now, I just avoid it at all costs! I try to stay in my little corner of the world so that I don't run into her or the treats. Also, I make sure I have my 6 meals planned out for the day and I refuse to allow myself to deviate from it. If it gets really bad, I may eat a piece of fruit to curb the craving.. I'm a sugar junkie! I love bagels and cream cheese, so that would be really hard for me to avoid. But, I have a "free day" once a week, so I make a list of all my cravings during the week and try to eat some of them (or all) on free day. It helps because it's not really denying myself, I'm just delaying gratification. :)
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My weapon of choice in that situation is gum. I keep Trident in my desk draw. Stay strong but, remember it's okay to treat yourself every now & again :wink:
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I don't do "small bites" Its best for me to just not have any at all.

^^^ This!!! LOL

I need to bump this because fortunately my entire department is on the 4th floor of the hospital and they don't have any room for me so I'm on the 6th floor so that's how I avoid but I need to bump this to see what people's responses are because as everyone knows life happens and sooner or later I will be caught in a tempting situation.
  • sherimosier
    sherimosier Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    See my problem was not the temptation; I am pretty good at not eating the treats. The problem in this office is my co-workers bugging about why I am not eating anything they brought. Giving me a "hard time" that pizza will not kill me, after all it covers all the major food groups it must be relatively healthy - LOL

Finally I learned to combat them by telling them exactly how many calories they were eating. It did not take long for them to stop asking and trying to tempt me :tongue:
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yep, I always, always, always have healthy snacks at work so when I'm hungry I'm not tempted to munch on the junk in the office. Also pre-logging my food for the day to know where/what my calories are and seeing how many calories/fat/sodium is in the junk food certainly helps too.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    That is my office every day. I avoid the kitchen or I will bring in a bunch of fruit!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    1. Recall all of those times you have caught someone leaving the restroom without washing their hands
    2. Observe gathering of people around food
    3. Connect 1 and 2. Tada! E-coli is not a good bagel topping.
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I work at a very popular pizza chain, so everyday there's free food! I let myself have my fun a few times a week, like yesterday we got to try out a new product we're getting and I ate a little more than I probably should have. XD Most of the time I "just say no." It's hard, but it's easier if I keep a bag of healthier snacks around or bring a healthy shake with me to work.
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It was someones birthday at our office and they brought taquitos, croissants, fruit tray, chips and queso, orange juice, and worst of all birthday cake....

It was so friggin good too. :happy:
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    We get the same thing here. And I work for a very large company, so if it's not my department shoving food in front of my face, it's someone else's....lol. I try to make sure I've brought my own snacks every day, so that I'm less tempted. But not gonna lie, there are times when I give in. In those instances, I just try to make the best choice available to me, and compensate with some extra exercise for the day.

Good luck! I know it's tough!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    This happens to me often too!! Just gotta keep your ground and say no.

If I can do it, You can do it! Good luck
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I spray windex on it :bigsmile:

I've killed a couple of co-workers in the process but in the end it really is worth it :smokin:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Free isn't always free. You pay for it one way or another.

As already mentioned, just because it's there doesn't mean that you have to partake.

If someone left a bag of blow, would you help yourself to a bump?