Opposite of "plus sized model" -- Miss Universe

2»

Replies

• hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    ut the money is deff worth it in my opinion :laugh: :laugh: ....then again i was very money hungry ...i used to make a good chunk for just a set of photos
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    My daughter is nearly 14, about 4'10", and wears a size 00. She thinks she's fat, thanks to the media's idea of "beauty". I just want to scream when she talks about wanting to look like music and movie stars...she has no idea how unhealthy (and unhappy) many of their lives are.

<<<<Former model

Stormie....I feel for your daughter!
    My 20y/o daughter is 5", very active, wears a 1 and is uncomfortable with herself at 120 pounds, even though she's a very active person who works out all the time, has a low BMI and high muscle/fat ratio. Her major is Nutrition and Kinesiology, so she eats and exercises right, but she is stressing out about weighing more than I did at the same age!!
    I'm 5'2, weighed 100lbs soaking wet in high school and got accused of bulimia and anexoria all the time, which was totally untrue!! I was blessed with a really high metabolism, which unfortunately decreased drastically after I hit 35 :sad: :sad: :sad: At 20, I was about 110, but nowhere near as active or fit as she is. It's SOOOO FRUSTRATING to watch a healthy young woman stress out because of what the media has taught us to believe looks good!!:grumble: :grumble:

I think it's great that some pagents, countries and modeling agencies are refusing to work with young women whose BMI is under the healthy range (I think that 16 is the cutoff). It's about time!!! Now to convince our daughters/nieces/co-workers/friends that TOO THIN IS NOT HEALTHY!!!!!.......
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Is it just me or does anyone else find it insulting that in 2009 women are still competing against each other in beauty contests where they are judged on an artificial definition of the "perfect" body or the most attractive face? In my opinion, no matter how healthy one of those contestants might look I would still not want her being a role model for young girls. Let's choose role models that are athletes, scholars, artists, scientists, etc. No one should get to be a role model because they are pretty or skinny.

Isn't this another symptom of the whole women/body image issues.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    I agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.