Strength training burns more calories than cardio.

Options
A 45-minute strength training session followed by a 10-15 minute cardio workout (65%-75% of MHR) will burn more calories than a 60-minute cardio workout!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/01/what-burns-more-calories-cardio-intervals-or-weight-training/

Replies

• epcorne
    epcorne Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Great info. I like to blend the two together, but I always feel like I burn more fat doing cardio.
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    yup, my HRM agrees
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Maybe that is why I feel hungry enough to eat my own shoe now that I've been strength training with a trainer then following it up with a little cardio... but MFP gives much less on the calories burned for strength training/weight training/ect. Hmm. I used to only eat about 1/2 to 2/3 of my workout calories, but I've been eating them ALL...
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My HRM doesn't show that for me, it shows about 200 calories less than an hour of my Zumba class. BUT, I am much hungrier after strength training, and I definitely feel like I did more.
  • jazzy43
    jazzy43 Posts: 16
    Options
    Nice to know. I am going to share this with my "friends". Thanks for the info.
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    thank you :)
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    A 45-minute strength training session followed by a 10-15 minute cardio workout (65%-75% of MHR) will burn more calories than a 60-minute cardio workout!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/01/what-burns-more-calories-cardio-intervals-or-weight-training/

Eh. I disagree. And when I was wearing my body fit media thingy, it disagreed too. Running/fast walking and/or hiking burned a lot more for me than weight lifting did.

That said... I LOVE weight lifting, I think it's the better choice if you can only choose one type of exercise, and I do think there might be something to the idea that you keep burning even after you lift.
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    I really think it depends on the person. It's up to the individual to judge by use of a HRM. For me, If I work hard enough cardio does wonders (especially in intervals, as the BLOG suggests), also, circuit training, which incorporates strength with cardio-awesome. Just like any health topic, it's dependent on the individual needs of the person....just a warning so not everyone all of a sudden jumps on the bandwagon without thinking about how it will work with their own bodies.

Note this is a blog, not a research or scientific source. It cites a few studies, but not extensively.

Thanks for the article though, it is something that might help a number of people who had limited exercise routines before. :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I don't strength train for the calorie burn, I strength train for the strength training.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Great article. Agree. But I still love to run!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Great article, thanks! I already to some HIIT and I do strength training as well. It took me until I was 43 years old to realize that I wasn't going to change my body with just the treadmill.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I don't strength train for the calorie burn, I strength train for the strength training.

THIS!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    cool. Thanks for posting that. Actually, that is exactly what I have begun doing!

Also, what diet suggestions do you make?
  • xipow
    xipow Posts: 58
    Options
    My HRM doesn't show that for me, it shows about 200 calories less than an hour of my Zumba class. BUT, I am much hungrier after strength training, and I definitely feel like I did more.

I guess that your HRM and MFP do not consider the post workout calorie burn that comes with strength training. With strength training "you’ll burn calories at an accelerated rate for reportedly up to 38 HOURS after your exercise." according to

I also found this
    Post-Exercise Burn
    "While it is evident that cardiovascular exercise burns more calories than lifting weights, the amount of calories burned after weight training is higher," reports the CTER Eportfolio System website. Metabolism increases after cardiovascular exercise only lasts 30 to 60 minutes, whereas post weight training metabolism increases up to 48 hours.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/295718-does-lifting-weights-burn-more-calories-than-cardio/#ixzz1yRufVqob
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Very interesting blog, thanks!
  • PurpleEpiphany
    Options
    For me the thing to remember is that strength training has better calorie burn potential in the long run. Yes, you build muscle by doing cardio, but not as quickly, and building muscle helps you burn more calories since (and I'm sure you've all heard this one before) muscle burns more calories than fat.

I think both are important, but too often people overlook strength training for various reasons. Either they don't think they'll burn enough calories or (especially with women) they don't want to get too bulky (which for the record is not the case).

Personally I pick a 'group' to focus on, do a circuit of weights (I go with my husband so switching back and forth, it usually takes about half an hour to get through six or so exercises), then go do about half an hour of cardio. That's been working really well for me, and I'm seeing much more 'inches' progress than weight, presumably due to building muscle. (But again, I'm losing inches, so definitely NOT bulking up.)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    HRMs cannot accurately measure calorie burn from strength training, only from aerobic activity.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Everybody knows that 60 minutes of hard running will only burn around 1000 calories while 45 minutes of weights with 5 minutes of HIIT burns over 1,000,000 calories for two days.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

Yep!
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    thank goodness it's only 10-15minutes of cardio.... I can only manage 20 after a good strength training session