Strength training burns more calories than cardio.

Options

Replies

• kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Everybody knows that 60 minutes of hard running will only burn around 1000 calories while 45 minutes of weights with 5 minutes of HIIT burns over 1,000,000 calories for two days.

giggle

I believe very much that muscle burns more than fat etc but it is difficult to measure and that annoys me.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I lift weights for my cardio. Being difficult is a hobby of mine.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Everybody knows that 60 minutes of hard running will only burn around 1000 calories while 45 minutes of weights with 5 minutes of HIIT burns over 1,000,000 calories for two days.

Ha! The voice of reason has arrived...
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I don't strength train for the calorie burn, I strength train for the strength training.

Yep. How about dips and pull-ups? Lots of benefit, but not much burn.
  • jamus78
    jamus78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am more recently getting back into lifting and adding running and swimming into the mix, plus I do a lot of quicker paced walking at work. One thing I remember reading years back when i 1st got into lifting and sorta body building is the more muscle mass you have the more your body is going to burn (calorie wise). Perhaps it's possible that for people with a high mass muscle mass to burn more calories this way then through cardio... or it could be very specific based on the individual. Def worth more looking into though :)
  • xipow
    xipow Posts: 58
    Options
    I don't strength train for the calorie burn, I strength train for the strength training.

Yep. How about dips and pull-ups? Lots of benefit, but not much burn.
    My dip workout is three sets to burn out. If I can 16 reps I increase the weight. I get a great burn. Same with pull ups. Not sure if I understood your meaning about not much burn.
  • xipow
    Options

The olympic athletes where just examples. It's like there are these "newer" methods for weight loss that are supposedly more efficient. If a method promises better results, then we would have found it already. As I said below "Your body is smarter than you, you can't out trick it." Yes HIIT does have it's place in fitness, but it's not the be all end all. I think should be sport specific. Some want general fitness, some want to be endurance athletes, some want to be strength athletes. They should train for their sport. General fitness is "general" multiple forms of running is involved.

You are 100% right about training for your sport. It seems like everyone thinks that everyone else should do the exact same types of exercise they do. If you want to be able to run a marathon, you're not going to get there by lifting hundreds of pounds. If you want to lift hundreds of pounds, you're not going to get there by running a marathon. It all depends on what you want to be able to do, and also, on what you enjoy doing. I personally love cardio and anything high intensity, whereas strength training bores me. I do it sometimes because it's good for me, but running, step aerobics, cycling; those are what I really enjoy and what I do most often. That's not about to change, whether strength training burns more calories or not. I would forgo a hamburger in a heartbeat if it meant getting to do the exercise I like rather than the type I don't like. I eat so I can exercise, not the other way around.

This makes sense. To each his own. This lifter is not trying to compete with the runners. Just found an interesting article. Besides, my knees are shot from running for the last 30 years.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I'll disagree. If we're talking calories burned in the span of an hour, 60 minutes of cardio at 75% will burn more calories than weight lifting and cardio for 15 min. at 75%.
    The assumption of EPOC is worked into here. Metabolically, strength training will raise your RMR some, where steady cardio doesn't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • xipow
    Options
    I'll disagree. If we're talking calories burned in the span of an hour, 60 minutes of cardio at 75% will burn more calories than weight lifting and cardio for 15 min. at 75%.
    The assumption of EPOC is worked into here. Metabolically, strength training will raise your RMR some, where steady cardio doesn't.

IDEA Fitness member

Any references to support your statements besides your expertise?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Any references to support your statements besides your expertise?
    Lots in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism.

IDEA Fitness member
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Go figure... :huh:
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I thought the link was very helpful, thanks!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to choose, why can't your routine be a combination of all three. When I strength train I don't take breaks and I do circuits which gives me the intensity and sweat of cardio. The reason why I didn't use to like doing strength training is because I didn't sweat much and in my mind that made me feel like I wasn't working hard. But how can I expect to sweat if I take a million breaks after every set. Some days I do intervals on the treadmill other days I might go for a longer run. The intervals actually help build my endurance and vice versa. I don't think there is any magic formula, its using all of the tools together.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

ONLY 1,000,000?

Slacker.
  • BabyGrl726
    BabyGrl726 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to split the two. Cardio in the AM and Strength training in the PM. Has anyone else tried this?

24930415.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    A 45-minute strength training session followed by a 10-15 minute cardio workout (65%-75% of MHR) will burn more calories than a 60-minute cardio workout!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/01/what-burns-more-calories-cardio-intervals-or-weight-training/

Eh. I disagree. And when I was wearing my body fit media thingy, it disagreed too. Running/fast walking and/or hiking burned a lot more for me than weight lifting did.

That said... I LOVE weight lifting, I think it's the better choice if you can only choose one type of exercise, and I do think there might be something to the idea that you keep burning even after you lift.

It's not stating that you are burning all of the calories right then. The point is, is that you burn them for a PROLONGED period of time.. 36 hours they said? You are also building your metabolism and making it much faster when you are building muscle. Cardio burns more WHILE you're doing it, if you're pushing yourself... However, CIRCUIT TRAINING really pushes you... I burn about 800 in an hour of circuit training, and I continuously burn and up my motabolism in the process.
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    A 45-minute strength training session followed by a 10-15 minute cardio workout (65%-75% of MHR) will burn more calories than a 60-minute cardio workout!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/01/what-burns-more-calories-cardio-intervals-or-weight-training/

Eh. I disagree. And when I was wearing my body fit media thingy, it disagreed too. Running/fast walking and/or hiking burned a lot more for me than weight lifting did.

That said... I LOVE weight lifting, I think it's the better choice if you can only choose one type of exercise, and I do think there might be something to the idea that you keep burning even after you lift.

It's not stating that you are burning all of the calories right then. The point is, is that you burn them for a PROLONGED period of time.. 36 hours they said? You are also building your metabolism and making it much faster when you are building muscle. Cardio burns more WHILE you're doing it, if you're pushing yourself... However, CIRCUIT TRAINING really pushes you... I burn about 800 in an hour of circuit training, and I continuously burn and up my metabolism in the process.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    so sorry to disappoint you....:bigsmile:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    you can't use a hrm to gauge calorie burn during strength training AKA anaerobic exercise. But muscle burns more cals at rest so you burn MORE in the long run than doing cardio alone. I lift so I can eat whatever the hell I want and look damn good doing it :bigsmile:
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

Burned 1500 cals today, running for 2 hours.

I am lucky to burn 300 by HRM lifting heavy for an hour.

(And yes, I understand that an HRM isn't the ideal way to measure calorie burn for lifting.)

I don't understand why the 'lifters' want to make this into a competition all the time.

Do weights. Do cardio. Do what makes you happy, and makes you feel good. FFS, stop trying to make everyone do it *your* way.

thank you!