Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

bleaching my hair

Erica_Rae
Erica_Rae Posts: 96 Member
So, my hair has a lot of blonde highlights in it now, as you can see from my pictures, but my friend that was doing my hair said she is going to start charging for her to do it. I am tight on money right now and my roots are getting BAD. the underneath of my hair is medium brown. I want the whole top layer to be a platinum blonde with the underneath still dark. How can I do this at home without my hair turning out orange??

Replies

• Please don't buy a box kit from the store if you're doing it at home. Go to a beauty supply store and get some professional stuff.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    I don't think I would trust myself to do this at home. But if you must, why not get one of those highlight kits instead of doing the entire top layer? Bleach is so damaging, but if you just do some highlights it is less so (since you are just doing some of the strands). I like your natural color. Why not just let the sun give you natural highlights? Take my comment with a grain of salt though because I am into all natural hair care. My hair is down to my butt because I treat it very well and do not process it.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Please don't buy a box kit from the store if you're doing it at home. Go to a beauty supply store and get some professional stuff.
    This!

Also, you can get highlighting caps and things like that in the beauty supply store too. The products these days aren't as "damaging" as they once were. I've been doing my own color for a couple of years now...since the grays started to arrive, its too expensive to do it professionally as often as I would want!

If you're worried about doing it yourself, perhaps start with a shade or two darker than you want (or use a semi-permanent color) just till you get the hang of the process before doing anything that will look drastic if you mess up....
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    I get all over color on my roots every month and get highlights. I would never attempt this at home.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Who says you can't use store bought stuff? As a 90's punker dude I looked awesome. Did it myself!

ba90a079.jpg
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    So, my hair has a lot of blonde highlights in it now, as you can see from my pictures, but my friend that was doing my hair said she is going to start charging for her to do it. I am tight on money right now and my roots are getting BAD. the underneath of my hair is medium brown. I want the whole top layer to be a platinum blonde with the underneath still dark. How can I do this at home without my hair turning out orange??

Don't do it at home!! My hair is a nice shade of ginger... and that was the hairdresser getting it a bit wrong. If you don't promise not to do it yourself, I'll load a picture of my hair to scare you out of it!!

Your hair looks lovely. Could you come to an arrangement with your friend? You could ask for mates rates!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    Who says you can't use store bought stuff? As a 90's punker dude I looked awesome. Did it myself!

ba90a079.jpg

How you doin'?
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member

ba90a079.jpg

I about scharted in my pants! you seriously look like my twin in that picture. That is really ****ing scary!
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541

ba90a079.jpg

I about scharted in my pants! you seriously look like my twin in that picture. That is really ****ing scary!

Triplets? Not me, but my brother... damn punks!
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Do it all...make sure the curtains match the carpet!
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    I have always bought the kit. Frost and glow, seriously. My husband does it for me and I have never had an issue. My hairdresser frowns a bit, but that's ok... I'll always go to her for a fabulous cut! (How to get your hubby to pull your hair thru a cap for an hour? Explain that the kit is $7 and having it done at a salon is over $70...hook/line/sinker baby!)
    BUT: If you have never done your own hair, maybe you should skip that plan... also if you are used to highlights just remember that taking it all blonde in parts is going to require a lot more upkeep.
    Just my two cents

I only recently ditched the highlight and cut my hair off ;)
  • Typhanee83
    Typhanee83 Posts: 309 Member

ba90a079.jpg

HOTNESS! :bigsmile:
  • Erica_Rae
    I'm not doing it myself I'm going to have my mom put it on. . . . I've been reading reviews on Loreal's Super Blonde.. and it seems that for most people it works.. Has anyone tried that product?
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    First of all....is there any color in your hair now (besides the blonde)? Because that can make a HUGE difference...even if you colored it years ago, hair only grows 1/2"/month (on average), and color does not come out unless you cut it out (even if it looks faded...it's still there). If there IS color in your hair (again, besides the blonde), DON'T do it yourself...it will turn orange. If there isn't any other color in your hair, you can probably get away with using a color no more than 2-3 shades lighter than your natural color. If you are going lighter than that, please don't do it yourself....you may get really lucky and have it turn out like you wanted, but realistically, probably not. I have my cosmetology license, and have fixed plenty of "at home" colors. If it doesn't come out like you envision it, it will cost more money to fix it than it would have to have a professional do it in the first place.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Be careful using bleach at home, it can be so damaging to your hair! I would personally recommend going to a salon but if it is definately not an option then get a box kit. They're easier to use and the measurements of product is already done for you with clear instructions.

If you want to keep your highlights though it's definately easier to go to salon.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member

ba90a079.jpg

Nice socks!

:blushing:
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    You will never get the same look at home that you can get from the salon.

I don't treat myself to a lot of things, but after years of coloring my hair at home, I decided that I was worth doing it right.
  • Erica_Rae
    First of all....is there any color in your hair now (besides the blonde)? Because that can make a HUGE difference...even if you colored it years ago, hair only grows 1/2"/month (on average), and color does not come out unless you cut it out (even if it looks faded...it's still there). If there IS color in your hair (again, besides the blonde), DON'T do it yourself...it will turn orange. If there isn't any other color in your hair, you can probably get away with using a color no more than 2-3 shades lighter than your natural color. If you are going lighter than that, please don't do it yourself....you may get really lucky and have it turn out like you wanted, but realistically, probably not. I have my cosmetology license, and have fixed plenty of "at home" colors. If it doesn't come out like you envision it, it will cost more money to fix it than it would have to have a professional do it in the first place.

There's just about every color under the sun in my hair. But when we put the highlights in they went blonde, they were oreange-ish at first but we used a lightest ash blonde toner. . . I want the whole top layer blonde which is mostly covered with blonde highlights, im not going to put it on the brown underneath though.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Getting my hair bleached back to the same color in my picture for the summer :) I'm so excited
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    i bleach my hair. i have super bright pinkyred hair, and i bleach the black out first.

http://www.amazon.com/Wella-Color-Charm-T18-White/dp/B000CSYYZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340310356&sr=8-1&keywords=whitelady+hair

this toner will get rid of the piss yellow colour.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A409J8/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
    bleach

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A3ZN7M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
    developer

be sure to get some really good conditioner.

also put it on your roots last.