Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

bleaching my hair

2»

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    I have never once gotten my hair done professionally. However, my hair is extremely nourished and strong. It is down to my waist at the moment and I haven't bleached in nearly 8 years. I did bleach regularly at home with no problems....but I was always adding color on top. I don't do blond. I would put in manic panic or punky color.

If you have color in now or fragile hair...go to a salon. Otherwise you risk your hair breaking off or falling out.

Good luck.
  • Who says you can't use store bought stuff? As a 90's punker dude I looked awesome. Did it myself!

ba90a079.jpg

HOTNESS! :bigsmile:

^^ agree lol
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    I just bleached my hair, and it looks fabulous!
    430627_350198041687673_389408528_n.jpg
  • Spudeata
    Spudeata Posts: 100 Member
    You need to get it done professionally then you can maintain it if you want two block colours as you describe. Go to a professional hair colour supplier, don't buy one from a supermarket - once the roots are platinum it will be easy to maintain - you will probably need a reconstructor until your hair recovers from the shock, so lots of conditioning and TLC.
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    First of all....is there any color in your hair now (besides the blonde)? Because that can make a HUGE difference...even if you colored it years ago, hair only grows 1/2"/month (on average), and color does not come out unless you cut it out (even if it looks faded...it's still there). If there IS color in your hair (again, besides the blonde), DON'T do it yourself...it will turn orange. If there isn't any other color in your hair, you can probably get away with using a color no more than 2-3 shades lighter than your natural color. If you are going lighter than that, please don't do it yourself....you may get really lucky and have it turn out like you wanted, but realistically, probably not. I have my cosmetology license, and have fixed plenty of "at home" colors. If it doesn't come out like you envision it, it will cost more money to fix it than it would have to have a professional do it in the first place.

There's just about every color under the sun in my hair. But when we put the highlights in they went blonde, they were oreange-ish at first but we used a lightest ash blonde toner. . . I want the whole top layer blonde which is mostly covered with blonde highlights, im not going to put it on the brown underneath though.

Since the blonde is not the only color in your hair, I would DEFINITELY go to a salon. They will be able to match the blonde that is currently in there and get a nice, even end result. Trust me on this- it is much easier to save up and have a professional do it than it is to do it at home and hate it...because then you will have to live with however it turns out until you can afford to have it fixed. If you absolutely can't afford it, see if there are any beauty schools in your area- lots of times, they will have a salon in the school itself for the students to get a feel for what it's like to work in one...there are teachers there to help every step of the way, and they offer HUGE discounts.
  • im a hair dresser and u can message me if you want but there r many things u have to look at before u just throw bleach on your hair
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Does your local salon or college need models to let trainee's loose on? I know a lot of people who get cheap or even free cuts and colours this way, and the trainees are always supervised.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Who says you can't use store bought stuff? As a 90's punker dude I looked awesome. Did it myself!

ba90a079.jpg

Now we know what Vanilla Ice looked like as a kid

*Ice, Ice, Baby*
  • becoming_a_new_me
    So, my hair has a lot of blonde highlights in it now, as you can see from my pictures, but my friend that was doing my hair said she is going to start charging for her to do it. I am tight on money right now and my roots are getting BAD. the underneath of my hair is medium brown. I want the whole top layer to be a platinum blonde with the underneath still dark. How can I do this at home without my hair turning out orange??

Here's my take on this...do you want to pay a small fee to have it done right by someone who knows your hair, or do you want to do it yourself for a small fee, then pay a larger fee for her to fix what you damaged? Seems logical to just pay her for something she really should have been charging you for to begin with.
  • coreyoreyoreo
    coreyoreyoreo Posts: 23 Member
    It's really risky to bleach your own hair, especially if you have red undertones. I have naturally red hair and it took multiple applications of beauty-supply-bought color and toners etc. to get my hair the right color, and it wasn't anywhere near bleach blonde. It was orange, and then slightly lighter orange, and then blondish.... That was the first time I tried dying my hair blonde.
    The second time was more recent, after I got my hair cut short, and it turned out SO orange, even after a box bleach kit and a regular lightest-blonde kit, that I had to redye it brown just to cover it up. THEN the brown faded to an awkward orange-brown because my hair was so fried.

That being said, if you want to risk it, that's all you. I'm all for dying your own hair, I think it's fun, and if you know what you're doing it can look really good. If you don't, it can look horrible. Not to mention damage your hair.

And also, I don't feel like going down and looking for who said it, but whoever mentioned having color already on your hair---- YES. If you've already dyed your hair, even if you try to bleach it out and re-dye, or use an OOPS or stripper, it will not come out all the way, and you'll most likely be left even orange-r.
  • I have been gradually lightening mine from a deep burgundy-ish auburn in January to almost-white like it is now (with the exception of the cotton-candy pink I put in it last week). I would only recommend doing it at home if you are comfortable with taking risks and if you've done home hair color before.

Here's how I got my white-blonde: Manic Panic Flash Lightning kit, which is basically just a packet of bleach and a bottle of 30-volume developer. IMPORTANT: added a packet of Ardell Red & Gold Banisher. This stuff cancelled out the yellow and made my hair as close to white as you can get, it was great! Although I was starting from a medium blonde, so maybe that's why it worked so well. You just mix in the envelope of purple liquid and then apply bleach as normal. I put a plastic cap on it, leave it in for about 30 minutes, and wash out. I have very fine hair and my hair has never fallen out or done any of the other horrific things that home color nay-sayers say that your hair absolutely WILL do if you color it at home. If you're careful, it won't.

Just make sure not to exceed the "maximum time" in the directions, and I would get the stuff from a beauty supply store. If you follow the directions, use a toner, and use high-quality shampoo and conditioner, you can get good results at home.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    I truely recommend going to a salon. A cheapo chain salon can do it for like 40 - 50 bucks. And if they mess up then they'll fix it for free. I had that done... a $100 perm which didn't hold well the first time. They redid it for free the second time.

I used to bleach my hair myself. I had to go to a beauty supply store to get the good stuff. HOLY CRAP it destroyed my hair.... I actually didn't have to go get it trimmed because it was so damaged it would fall out on its own.

And if you decided to do all your roots remember to keep it up because the whole head being the same color shows roots a lot more then highlights.

I get a partial bleach highlight done to the top of my hair and it grows back very kindly since it's mixed in with the rest of my hair.

Good luck!
  • Erica_Rae
    Erica_Rae Posts: 96 Member
    I decided I'm going to have my friend put more highlights over the whole top... she said she will only charge 25 and that we should be able to bleach the whole top of it next time :)
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    I would like to know the logistics of bleaching by bum. I read about this and want to know about it. I would be much more likely to show photos of my naked booty if I knew that it was as pale and lovely as the rest of my alabaster flesh. So what's the deal with *kitten* bleaching? Anybody?
  • becoming_a_new_me
    I decided I'm going to have my friend put more highlights over the whole top... she said she will only charge 25 and that we should be able to bleach the whole top of it next time :)

That's a really good price, and now both of you are happy!! Win-win!
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    OMG how embarrassing! I just realized this was about hair and not buttholes. I feel like a reall *kitten* now. D'oh!
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    See my pic? My mom pulled my hair through the cap and we bleached it with stuff from Sally's. I actually didn't leave the bleach on long enough, I saw orange and panicked and rinsed it out. If I would have left it on longer, I would have gone even blonder. And I had a gazillion shades of red and brown under that. Let it go from orange to banana before you rinse. Then use a toner to tone down the banana. I've covered up many bleaching disasters with toner and was fine. Slight damage, yes, but all bleach is damaging.

I've always done my own hair at home. It's fun and I'm not scared of disasters anymore. If you're a perfectionist and want the perfect shade, yes, go to a salon. I'm a broke single parent, I don't have the money for even a cheap salon. That money goes in my gas tank and feeds my kid.
  • Ohhh lordy. I know you're tight on money, but you REALLY need to go to a salon. Everytime someone does their hair in my family, it turns out purple, green, or some other ungodly hair color :o