Alcoholism vs. Food Addiction

Phoenix_Rising
Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So I was thinking about being a food addict last night and I began comparing it to alcoholism. I think the biggest difference is when you realize you are an alcoholic and are ready to change, one of the first steps is to stop drinking. Period. However, as a food addict, you can't stop eating cold turkey. Won't work, for obvious reasons. You have to learn to eat correctly, in correct amounts and at the proper times.

I think this is why it's so hard for me to stop eating. I'm a food addict and every day I'm faced with eating, but I have a hard time making myself stop after just "one meal" (i.e. the correct amount of food) whereas an alcoholic (generalizing) has a hard time stopping after just "one drink". :brokenheart:

What do you think?

Replies

• dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    All addictions are like that. Changing routines helps people overcome their addictions.
  • incircles_lp2
    incircles_lp2 Posts: 132 Member
    I completely agree with you. My life revolves around food. I think about food as much as a teenage boy thinks about sex! I don't know what to say to make you feel better, but I do agree with what you are saying
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    start drinking a lot youll eat less!
    (kidding, kidding)

Id say the easiest way to stop eating lots is go ahead and find some kind of reflective space to see yourself eating. srsly. Ive seen myself eat and I usually lose my appetite after that :tongue:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    I completely agree with you. My life revolves around food. I think about food as much as a teenage boy thinks about sex! I don't know what to say to make you feel better, but I do agree with what you are saying

I think I just needed to say that to help me process it and get feedback from others.

I have to accept that I can't just STOP my addiction. I have to overcome it the really hard way... through modification.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    (kidding, kidding)

Id say the easiest way to stop eating lots is go ahead and find some kind of reflective space to see yourself eating. srsly. Ive seen myself eat and I usually lose my appetite after that :tongue:

If I start looking too long and finding too many flaws, I get sad and eat.
    I'm an emotional eater. And I have lots of emotions! ha
  • Phoenix_Rising
    All addictions are like that. Changing routines helps people overcome their addictions.

I agree, but sometimes our circumstances beyond our control force us into a routine that isn't beneficial. I feel that is where I am now... kinda stuck in a bad routine that doesn't help me avoid (unnecessary) food.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    (kidding, kidding)

If I start looking too long and finding too many flaws, I get sad and eat.
    I'm an emotional eater. And I have lots of emotions! ha
    oh thats tough. Ive never been an emotional eater. Im quite the opposite. The more emotional I get, the more I tend to punish myself (ie not eating at all, not sleeping, not getting enough water, etc)
  • Eryn47
    Eryn47 Posts: 34
    Have you thought about going to an O.E. ( Over Eaters) meeting??? It's kinda like A.A. but for us food junkies, lol! I'm looking into going since I heard from a friend how much it helped her, type it in on line and it will give you local places that hold meetings.... couldin't hurt right? Good luck, and I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Have you thought about going to an O.E. ( Over Eaters) meeting??? It's kinda like A.A. but for us food junkies, lol! I'm looking into going since I heard from a friend how much it helped her, type it in on line and it will give you local places that hold meetings.... couldin't hurt right? Good luck, and I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!

I've thought about it but..... I'll just be frank and say it.... I feel like I'm too "skinny" for it, like those who are more overweight than I would look down on me scornfully if I went. :cry:

EDIT - But I'm looking at it right now.
    http://www.oa.org/ in case anyone wanted the web addy
  • Thats a big problem for those of us with true eating disorders. Overeaters Anonymus has some wonderful groups geared towards certain types of disorders. I know alot of people who find them helpful nowadays. I never had that option during my recovery, but have been to a few meetings recently. You're right, it is so very hard to escape food...not to mention the image of the ideal body, the obsession our society puts on vanity and big corporations and celebrities that benefit from all of the above. That all plays such an important part. I used to think it would be easier to be and alcoholic than a anorexic or bulimic. Of course it wouldn't, addiction is devastating anyway, but the recovery rate is actually higher among substance abusers than eating disorder patients.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    one word, "moderation". Look it up.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    As I'm reading about the local meeting of OA, I'm wolfing down huge bites of my lunch, out of nervousness at the thought of attending a meeting.

Lord, is that a sign I need the help of OA or what??

(I've also composed myself and started taking smaller bites.)
  • Phoenix_Rising

And one for you as well: Tact.
  • Eryn47

I've thought about it but..... I'll just be frank and say it.... I feel like I'm too "skinny" for it, like those who are more overweight than I would look down on me scornfully if I went. :cry:

It's actually not really about weight per say, it's about not being able to controll eating, just like A.A. you have people at all stages of recovery. (but I know what you mean, I thought that at first too) Hang in there, every day gives us a new chance to improve ourselves!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I know someone who is like that. After overcoming smoking, drugs, and alcohol, they focused on food. Even knowing it wasn't healthy, they would eat ALL of a 1/2 gallon of ice cream, or entire package of cheese, etc. They would sneak it when no one was looking, hunch over it like a convict, and had no concept of serving size.

I think that one has to approach it the same way you would other addictions...set strict ground rules and change habits that tend to increase your usage. Eat only sitting down at the fully set table, eat pre-determined quantities (log them in!), don't go into the kitchen after 11 pm, no snacks while standing up, eat nothing straight from a jar, bag, bottle or box (don't even buy it or have it in your house). You can eat it straight from the ground, however (veggies/fruit). Look for alternatives to vent emotionally-kick boxing or drinking hot tea or a craft/hobby.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768

haha. just because I like to brush with a broad stroke, doens't mean i'm not tactful. I was keeping it simple. Geeeez. :grumble:

I didn't realize there was a "word count" requirement for this discussion. Next time I'll be sure to use two words.
  • kallio
    kallio Posts: 70
    I had a very close friend who is an alcoholic. When I was at my heaviest and having the worst time with my binging disorder we talked about this exact thing. It is the same feeling. You end everyday saying tomorrow I will do better, I will stop this tomorrow. But, tomorrow comes and you are faced with the issue again and again. They both make us feel good and it is how we deal with our emotions.
    Only thing is-
    Alcoholics can stop buying liquor- we can't stop buying food. They are both tough addictions to break.

Good luck to everyone!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Have you thought about going to an O.E. ( Over Eaters) meeting??? It's kinda like A.A. but for us food junkies, lol! I'm looking into going since I heard from a friend how much it helped her, type it in on line and it will give you local places that hold meetings.... couldin't hurt right? Good luck, and I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!

You have to go to a few meeting and really choose a group that will work for you. Sometimes someone who is very overweight will make some kind of comment that may offend a skinnier person, or vice versa. You will see that there is a very wide variety of people who go, and some who have the same concerns as you.
  • Phoenix_Rising

haha. just because I like to brush with a broad stroke, doens't mean i'm not tactful. I was keeping it simple. Geeeez. :grumble:

There's no need to be glib. An addiction, by definition, has nothing to do with an understanding of moderation.
  • Eryn47

That's the problem with any true addict though, there is no such thing as moderation. It seems strange that someone who is on this site looking for help like the rest of us, for the same reason as us, would be so cold, don't throw stones!!!! :angry:
This discussion has been closed.