Alcoholism vs. Food Addiction

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    I had a very close friend who is an alcoholic. When I was at my heaviest and having the worst time with my binging disorder we talked about this exact thing. It is the same feeling. You end everyday saying tomorrow I will do better, I will stop this tomorrow. But, tomorrow comes and you are faced with the issue again and again. They both make us feel good and it is how we deal with our emotions.
    Only thing is-
    Alcoholics can stop buying liquor- we can't stop buying food. They are both tough addictions to break.

Good luck to everyone!
    :flowerforyou:

That's exactly what I'm saying.

With most addictions, you are able to (attempt to) stop by going it cold turkey. With a food addiction, that is an impossibility. EDIT -- And I'm not trying to say it's easier to break any addiction!!!!

I wonder how many Americans are food addicts and if that has led to our nation's obesity epidemic?
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    I beat drugs, I beat alcohol, I beat undereating, I beat insomnia (for the most part).
    Now I just need to beat social anxietys enough to get outside to work out or get a job to keep myself busy.
    I was an overeater as a kid but I really only beat that by abusing other things and it slowly became under eating. Beating any of those things is really tough. I only could ever do it by having somethin bad happen due to it
  • Phoenix_Rising
    one word, "moderation". Look it up.

That's the problem with any true addict though, there is no such thing as moderation. It seems strange that someone who is on this site looking for help like the rest of us, for the same reason as us, would be so cold, don't throw stones!!!! :angry:

I thought the same thing.
    I tried not to reply in too angry of a fashion.
    I *think* he was trying for an attempt of humor more than an attempt of making anyone upset.
    (I think.)
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    So lemme get this straight. If you have an addiction to alcohol, you have to give it all up, because the idea of being moderate does not exist. What does this have to do with an eating disorder? Your supposed to give up food all together? umm no. You'd have to learn and take steps to eat right.... i.e. moderation. I think thats pretty straight-foward.

Though I'm sure there are some similiar behaviors between the two, the action and results are by far...very opposing.
  • Jovialation
    learning moderation is tough. I still have a hard time when it comes to drinking. If I go out and drink I have to really watch myself so I dont go from "happily buzzed" to "crawling on the floor not knowing which way is up"
  • xsargex
    learning moderation is tough. I still have a hard time when it comes to drinking. If I go out and drink I have to really watch myself so I dont go from "happily buzzed" to "crawling on the floor not knowing which way is up"

this seems to be the controversy amongst addiction education. Because according to most alcoholics, its a disease and they have to give it up forever at risk of relapsing. But there are plenty of people that have been diagnosed (sum of my own friends) with alcoholism. They kicked the addiction. They can have a beer now and then. So yeah. I'm not saying EVERYONE falls in this scenario. But its possible.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    So lemme get this straight. If you have an addiction to alcohol, you have to give it all up, because the idea of being moderate does not exist. What does this have to do with an eating disorder? Your supposed to give up food all together? umm no. You'd have to learn and take steps to eat right.... i.e. moderation. I think thats pretty straight-foward.

Though I'm sure there are some similiar behaviors between the two, the action and results are by far...very opposing.

You have restated what I said in my opening post.

There is no 'cold turkey' method for an eating addiction. It's like an alcoholic being a professional wine taster, faced with it daily.
  • xsargex

There is no 'cold turkey' method for an eating addiction. It's like an alcoholic being a professional wine taster, faced with it daily.

hence moderation.... why is this turning into a circle? hahaha. I got crucified for no reason. :blushing:
  • Phoenix_Rising

this seems to be the controversy amongst addiction education. Because according to most alcoholics, its a disease and they have to give it up forever at risk of relapsing. But there are plenty of people that have been diagnosed (sum of my own friends) with alcoholism. They kicked the addiction. They can have a beer now and then. So yeah. I'm not saying EVERYONE falls in this scenario. But its possible.

AA encourages complete abstance from alcohol. Some alcoholic learn to manage their addictions and are able to have only one or two drinks. Every person is different. I don't think anyone is trying to put addictions in the all-or-nothing category.
  • Phoenix_Rising

hence moderation.... why is this turning into a circle? hahaha. I got crucified for no reason. :blushing:

Addicts do not know moderation.
  • Jovialation
    I used to be a daily drinker and I was only 18-19. I was working 3rd shift, was hardly ever eating, and almost never sleeping more than 2 hours. I lived off of energy drinks and food from the gas station I worked at. After awhile the occassional party turned into after work 'drunk by noon' parties with other 3rd shifters...and it just evolved from that. I can handle myself fine now, but because I drink so rarely I forget that Im a lightweight lol

my mom did the AA thing in her 20s and now she has that "i cant even go into a bar" attitude. AA teaches that. They teach that its a lifetime disease that you WILL succumb to given the chance. I really hate that teaching
  • xsargex

I guess what I'm getting at is....if the human condition can find the strength to kick a habit/addiction or whatevern terminology thru intervention, medication, or just plain old fashion hard-wrok..... then why isn't the body capable of consuming responsibility? I'm stayin on topic with alcohol and food. No drugs or obvious harmful substances.

If someone is a food addict and can learn to eat responsibly...then why cant an alcoholic, not do the same with drinking?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    I used to be a daily drinker and I was only 18-19. I was working 3rd shift, was hardly ever eating, and almost never sleeping more than 2 hours. I lived off of energy drinks and food from the gas station I worked at. After awhile the occassional party turned into after work 'drunk by noon' parties with other 3rd shifters...and it just evolved from that. I can handle myself fine now, but because I drink so rarely I forget that Im a lightweight lol

my mom did the AA thing in her 20s and now she has that "i cant even go into a bar" attitude. AA teaches that. They teach that its a lifetime disease that you WILL succumb to given the chance. I really hate that teaching

I think they teach that because certain people are prone to have addictive personalities. While you may be able to break the addiction now, it may resurface later for a second go 'round.

This would explain why I have been able to quit smoking many times, going many months in between, but always picking it back up again. I have an addictive personality.
  • Phoenix_Rising

I guess what I'm getting at is....if the human condition can find the strength to kick a habit/addiction or whatevern terminology thru intervention, medication, or just plain old fashion hard-wrok..... then why isn't the body capable of consuming responsibility? I'm stayin on topic with alcohol and food. No drugs or obvious harmful substances.

If someone is a food addict and can learn to eat responsibly...then why cant an alcoholic, not do the same with drinking?

I'm not saying they can't.
    But I've also not been able to break the food addiction.
    I think it's mostly because it's too easy to obtain my "drug of choice", and sends off feel-good endorphins whenever I cram food in my throat hole, crushing my emotional discomfort.
  • xsargex

I'm not saying they can't.
    But I've also not been able to break the food addiction.
    I think it's mostly because it's too easy to obtain my "drug of choice", and sends off feel-good endorphins whenever I cram food in my throat hole, crushing my emotional discomfort.

I don't know either. With that said, I'm gonna go eat lunch.
  • Eryn47
    Eryn47 Posts: 34

Have you read any of the comments on here, besides the one's that contain your rude response???? That's the whole point, a food addiction is one of the hardest to beat BECAUSE you can't just stop eating, hense going to O.E. and learning new behaviors, because starting off, NO you don't know how to moderate! There have been many studies done on this topic maybe you should look it up, and make a point to stay out of conversations that you can't put forth any usefull knowledge, or encouragement! :bigsmile:
  • Jovialation
    I have an addictive personality too. I actually moderate my exercise and take days off dieting because otherwise I will become addicted to even the calorie counting and working out.
    Ive learned to watch myself in all situations. When I started working out I knew I couldnt do the same calibur of schedule as some people here with multiple workouts a day because I knew then itd only become a matter of time before I was obsessed.
    I have a severely addictive personality.
    Ive even been convinced I had internet addiction at some point in my life.
    and a video game addiction.
    Now I just keep a good eye on myself heh
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    I agree with you - I have always been an extreme, all-or-nothing type person and I have seen myself have an addictive personality when it comes to both bad food (sugar, junk food, processed food, etc.) and alcohol. I have had to stop some things cold turkey -- I cut out sugar and now alcohol, etc. But I am learning how to be patient with myself and find balance. For instance it's okay to have **a** chocolate chip cookie and a glass of skim milk every now and again. In the past I wouldn't have bene able to stop with just one. And it owuld become a regular occurrence if I did it once. And once I am at my goal weight, I would like to have a glass or two of wine, or a beer or two, while out with friends, but until then I have cut it out completely because the bad effects of it outweigh the good effects for me.

So, yes, I completely see what you mean. I think any positive lifestyle change that we can make sure to hold up over the long haul is really, really good.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member

Maybe because alcohol has the particular effect of lowering inhibitions. so it is especially easy to let "just one drink" turn into a binge.

just a theory....I don't really know:ohwell:
  • xsargex
    :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.