Dining out - availability of nutritional information

Options
2»

Replies

• MKloste
    MKloste Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    As long as the information is available online I really don't see it as an issue. I know that if I am wanting to go somewhere and it doesn't have nutritional information available I will still go there and eat but I will try and pick what I feel is the healthier options by reading what is included in the meal. If it was available online it would definitely be helpful and I almost always look online before heading out to eat to see what some of the healthier options are. For example for Father's Day we went to Mimi's cafe and I was really wanting the crab cake benedict but I looked up the nutritional information before ordering and discovered it had over 1300 calories in it so that was definitely out and then I noticed that another egg benedict option had only 600 calories in it, so I definitely choose that one over the latter. I tihnk it might deter some people away but if it's available it does come in handy for those of us that are calorie counting. I do not think that she would lose business though however. Even if she doesn't want to list the nutritional information for all of the meals maybe picking the top 4 or 5 healthier options and putting those in a seperate insert would help those people counting calories. Put in meals under 400 calories or something like that. That way you aren't listing the foods with high caloires and scaring people away from those items, you are just "show casing" a few items for people if they are wanting to pick healhty and don't know how to pick otherwise.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I completely avoid restaurants I can't get nutritional info from. I keep printouts in my car, so I can make informed choices on-the-fly. I don't avoid restaurants who have the info available unless they have NO choices I can fit into my day. These days Applebees is my go-to restaurant because of their huge selection of reasonable calorie entrees.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I wish all places could/would do this - I know that restaurants with 20+ locations are required to, but I rarely visit restaurants like that :grumble:
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Having it available online is a definite plus, I don't care if it's in the menu itself but having it online is so helpful for me to choose items.

If they don't have one online, I do my best to try to choose what appears to be the healthier choice.
  • MKloste
    MKloste Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would show your mom these post to help with your argument...maybe it will make her understand the importance to some people that they want the nurtritional information. But like others have said if she doesn't own a chain resturant her food and ingredients are probably of better quality anyways which would make me want to go there, before choosing a large chain resturant.
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it when a restaurant has their info available. I have no problem if it is not on the menu, so long as I can find it online.

I will say in some instances it has made me more likely to eat somewhere. For example, I found out I can get an unwich from Jimmy Johns for around 200 calories that will keep me full for hours. Now instead of eyeing my coworkers/family's lunch, I can order something that fits my lifestyle. Also, Panera has their calories listed, and it doesn't stop be from eating there, just helps me make better choices.

What it comes down to is those who want the information will be pleased and grateful, those that don't wouldn't care either way. In my opinion, it would help business in the long run.

What type of restaurant does your mom own?

It's a tavern, that specialized in Walleye, but has burgers, steaks, sandwiches...amazing chicken pot pie!
  • amhnmiller
    Options
    It's important. There are items on menus that LOOK healthy, but really is not the best choice. Went to a restaurant the other day, and asked for a nutrional print out of their menu. Was shocked as to how much calories was in most of the items were 1300 + in calories, BIG calories. Very deceiving. I chose the steamed brocolli....that's it! Everything else was too scary. Tell your mom to post the nutritional info, the market is out there....may be a low percentage but worth it, as they will be loyal repeat customers who know what they are getting.
  • MNchick
    Options
    I go to restaurants to enjoy my food. I am capable of making reasonable choices when I go out. I am definitely not going to choose some crap like Applebee's over an independent restaurant that probably has better quality and more nutrition.

Thanks for your valuable input...

I think most people go to restaurants to enjoy their food...if it wasn't enjoyable, why even go?

I'm sure everyone is happy that you're capable of making reasonable choices, but my purpose for this was for those that aren't capable, or maybe don't realize that when they choose that petit steak that it will be cooked with a ton of butter, but if they were able to see the nutritional information, they'd realize that there was more to it than just some steak and seasoning.

While I love supporting independent restaurants (why wouldn't I? my family has one) they are A) not always readily available and B) less likely to have nutritional information provided, as they aren't always required...my family restaurant is a perfect example. Sorry you think Applebee's is 'crap'...have a fan-tas-tic night
  • MNchick
    Options
    I would show your mom these post to help with your argument...maybe it will make her understand the importance to some people that they want the nurtritional information. But like others have said if she doesn't own a chain resturant her food and ingredients are probably of better quality anyways which would make me want to go there, before choosing a large chain resturant.

You're reading my mind!!!

I'm planning on having a MFP meal meet up when I go home this summer and I think it would be the perfect 'test audience' for whatever we come up with!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I would love to see everything when I eat out. I look at all the nutritional information online before I do. If I can't find it, I will find another place to go.
  • croberson8711
    Options
    Definitely a HUGE plus if it's included, and helps me make better decisions. I enjoy eating out when I can include it in my calorie budget (HUGE fan of Applebee's WW menu and their healthy menu with the calories listed) but at the same time, I will also use the mobile app to look things up and factor it in as well. But definitely a bonus if it's already listed/included!!
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It doesn't keep us from going to a restaurant that someone else chooses when we go out with others, but if it is just my husband and I, we choose a place that we can get the specific information on the menu options.
  • agentjellybean
    agentjellybean Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyway has pointed this out already but to use the actual weight watchers point system, applebees has too cook all ww menu items on a separate stove and they have to jump through a number of hoops to for ww to allow the use the WW point system. Basically I'm saying there are some legal issues to contend with when it comes to actually listing the point system. If you don't want to deal with all of that you could simply provide your costumers with at least the cal, fat, fiber content, they could then determine the WW points on their own ( there are apps for that). If your mom is afraid of deterring costumers by listing the nutritional information on the menu, you could provide a second 'menu' with the full nutritional info per request of the costumers- Denny's, McDonalds, Wendy's, Pollo Tropical all do this. It doesn't have pictures or even fancy description of the food.

I personally avoid at all cost going anywhere where I can't calculate what I am eating.
  • rottiegirl22
    rottiegirl22 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What if she did the insert as one poster suggested, but just had it available on request? She could put a little insert in the menus for a week stating nutrition information now available upon request, and then take that out after a week. It would get the word out that if people want to look it's there, without deterring the sales from people who would rather live in the dark regarding consumption.
  • MNchick
    Options
    I don't know if anyway has pointed this out already but to use the actual weight watchers point system, applebees has too cook all ww menu items on a separate stove and they have to jump through a number of hoops to for ww to allow the use the WW point system. Basically I'm saying there are some legal issues to contend with when it comes to actually listing the point system. If you don't want to deal with all of that you could simply provide your costumers with at least the cal, fat, fiber content, they could then determine the WW points on their own ( there are apps for that). If your mom is afraid of deterring costumers by listing the nutritional information on the menu, you could provide a second 'menu' with the full nutritional info per request of the costumers- Denny's, McDonalds, Wendy's, Pollo Tropical all do this. It doesn't have pictures or even fancy description of the food.

I personally avoid at all cost going anywhere where I can't calculate what I am eating.

Thanks for pointing that out...she and I weren't sure what coordination had to happen for WW points to be listed, so you answered that for us!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Honestly the nutritional facts on websites are just guidelines, chefs are different therefore it can never be all the time the same exact calorie content. Even the WW points meals you see, they have done tests on them and found they were much different then what is projected.

But I still think having that guideline is still good to see.
  • cibilbee
    cibilbee Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think its great to provide the information. I will pick a place I can know the calories everytime, even if its a little higher because then I at least have a ball park for the number I need to burn at the gym.