If every day were like today... you would weigh...

Options
13»

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering for a while now so I've started to record what it says everyday and then in 5 weeks (from last Monday) I'll see where I end up :)

I did this for a while last year - and found that if I ate pretty much what MFP recommended (not way under or way over) and I was pretty consistent - then, yes it was reasonably accurate.
    If I looked at it on a day when I ate a lot or a little, then the prediction was way high or way low.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I enjoy seeing it, gives me motivation, regardless if it's accurate or not. Like another poster said, I might mark the pounds off on my calendar and see where I am in 5 weeks. (Actually I'm copying/pasting it into the note box)
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Nope. No no no...not even CLOSE! From day 1 it that number was consistantly accelerated over my actual weight loss. I have been stalled for about 5 weeks and it's still predicting super low numbers, every single day. I'm VERY consistent, very diligent. It's not happening...but it's ok...my body fat % has improved, my muscle mass has increased, I feel good, i look pretty damn good...I'm ok with it.
  • guiltypleasure00
    Options
    I've found mine to be a pretty good indication of where I'll be. It's always been true within about a 1/2 a kilo or so.
  • ShellyShuey
    ShellyShuey Posts: 162
    Options
    I guess it could be... but who eats the same thing every day for 5 weeks? Maybe some people.. I am always a good 200-300 cal difference each day.

^^ this ^^
  • raeraeti
    raeraeti Posts: 108
    Options
    I tend to loose more than it predicts- but you should take into account your activity level that it is set at. It thinks i am sedentary
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    It's probably correct....but there arent many people who eat the exact same amount every single day...Lol...
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I wish it would trend, rather than just be a one day calculation. I mean it has a lot of your history there. Why not trend the data too?
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It's just a guideline to give you an idea of where you are headed if you eat too much or too little.

Yea...what she said!
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm about 10lb lighter than predicted but have been losing weight rapidly since the doctor reduced my calories to 1200 and told me not to eat back exercise calories
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It's roughly correct for me. I don't eat exactly the same each day, but most days I keep pretty near the MFP, and that's about what the 5 weeks from today calculates. When I've set my goal at different amounts and eaten what's recommended, MFP says I'll lose about what I selected in 5 weeks, and that's pretty much what's happened. It's not exact, some weeks have been a bit higher, some lower, but it pretty much averaged out.
  • kateblue72
    kateblue72 Posts: 113
    Options
    I do like the motivation it gives me .... and I do think there is some truth to it .... it IS doing the 'math' based on your activity and food. And I am quite certain on some days if I did manage to be repetitive ... which we all know is boring, and highly unlikely, that the probability of it would be true. ie especially on low food/high exercise days ... one could seem to 'melt' away - LOL!!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have found it to be generally true. Sometimes I lose more than it says, sometimes less, but its a decent ballpark.
  • slimmingdownsteph
    slimmingdownsteph Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's an estimate. MFP doesn't know how each individual body works. Don't take it to be the absolute truth.

Exactly!
  • jenmfpal
    jenmfpal Posts: 124
    Options
    I think you have to take into account your activity level setting and how much of your calories you eat back from exercising. But overall, I think it's pretty accurate.

I complete my day, and if I remember, I copy the message into my food note and save it into my daily diary. But I don't really make every day the same (except that I try to make every day close to my goal), and I find it is pretty accurate.
  • dirty_blonde
    dirty_blonde Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love seeing this at the end of the day because I want to prove it WRONG. I want to do better and lose more weight then it says I will. hahaha. Will see if in 5 weeks I can lose more then it says I will.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    It's never been even close to accurate for me; usually I lose in one week what it says I'll lose in five. I have absolutely no idea why it's so far off.
  • jenmfpal
    jenmfpal Posts: 124
    Options
    I went back 5 weeks ago and checked, and this was accurate for the most part, except I've actually lost one more pound then MFP calculated. Recently I started eating back most of my exercise calories, because I was on a plateau and have come around to the eat more to weigh less philosophy.

I have my weight loss goal set to two pounds a week. I noticed the other night, when I went over by about 300 calories, that I would loose only 1 pound a week for 5 weeks. So MFP must give me a daily deficit of about 600 calories. Seems good to know, and seems good to remember that even if we are over, we aren't really over...

I went back earlier in my food dairy and estimates were way off when I wasn't eating back my calories- and I wasn't loosing weight even though the estimates looked good.