Any ladies 5'8 and up..

Options
Hey ladies..I am 5'8 . On my calorie counter it says I have to eat 1600 calories , that number goes up to 2000 after I do my daily workout!!!...My question is..How do I eat all of these calories???...You can only eat so many fruits and veggies to put that number up there!!...

I never had a hard time eating that many calories before lol:grumble:

Help!:grumble:

Replies

• JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1700-1800 but I don't eat my exercise calories. Personally I have never had a problem losing weight with this approach.

I eat a lot of nuts and lean meats to help keep my calories up but stay healthy.
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    What kinds of nuts??>....

I usually eat chicken with my salads for lunch and whatever we are having for supper , we always have some kind of meat.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9"----Mine says to eat 1440 at a recomended 1lb a week, but I keep my calories under 1200. I also do not add my exercise calories.
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    :grumble:
  • carrieberrie
    Options
    Sorry.
    Also I am 167 lbs trying to get to 150, so that could be why mine is so different. .
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    I would go for nuts, cheese and yogurt (don't buy the lower cal versions, if u aren't worries about cals)
    Tru noth peanut clusters are yummmmm
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" but I sit at a computer all day, so I only get about 1300 calories. But, on the days I ride my bike I burn up to another 1000. I may not eat all of them, but I do try to eat around 1750 to 1800 those days. So, I can understand the feeling.

Sounds like you are eating plenty of fruits & veggies. Are you eating many healthy fats? Your body does need some fat in your diet and it adds major calories. The nuts are a good idea. You could have some cheese or yogurt with your fruit. If you aren't already, add some dressing to those salads.
  • carrieberrie
    Options
    If I were you I would just stick to the lowest calorie snacks, thats what I do. Wasa crackers and Laughing Cow Cheese is my fav snack. I cut up watermelon and cantaloupe and snack on that too. But I suggest to keep your calories lower than what it says. In five weeks I have lost 7 lbs :smile:
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11" and I am eating between 1200-1300 cals on the days I don't exercise. I usually eat back all my exercise cals, but I eat a lot of protein (which is usually higher cals). I am currently at 162 and trying to just get lean and tone up. I only want to lose a few pounds. I think my ideal weight is 155. That is where I am most comfortable. Anyway, I usually make the protein portion of my lunch the staple and then build around that with veggies and fruit. Today for lunch I had 1 cup of low fat cottage cheese, Chiquita Apple Grape bites, and a small red plum.

Hope this helps,
    Erin
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    What kinds of nuts??>....

I usually eat chicken with my salads for lunch and whatever we are having for supper , we always have some kind of meat.

Almonds are great. A few slivered almonds on your salad at lunch would help. I think 20 almonds are a little over 100 calories. Check the food diary to be sure.

:flowerforyou:
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    try almonds as a snack, avocado on salads, or cook your food in olive oil. All delicious and healthy fat!
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    I am 5-8' weigh 192 and when I don't excercise MFP says to have around 1560 cals a day. When I do excercise my cals go up to 2250-2315 cals a day. I never add in my strength training (which I do everyday that I excercise). I am very active at work (am constantly on the move and lifting things). I start my day with protein and end my day with protein. That helps me fill in some of my cals for the day. Also dinner time is my biggest cal allowance for the day, so I don't feel like I am depriving myself. I do eat 4-7 servings a day of fruit & vege's. I also will have 3 main meals with atleast 2 snacks everday that I do excercise. For right now I have taken a week off so my body can get use to the new wieght that I am at. Starting again to excercise in the morning. Sometimes by taking some time off it gives your body time to get use to the new weigth and when you go back to excercising you will start to lose again. This is my own opinion.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i suggest people refer to this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

especially regarding eating less that 1200 cals :noway:
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    you should always make sure you eat at least 1250 no matter what
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options
    I am absolutely stunned by the number of you that are over 5'8" and eat less than 1300 calories. I'm 5'10 and weigh 157lbs with a small frame and I eat at least 1650 calories a day. I aim for closer to 1700 or 1800 especially on the days I work out. I generally lose a little more than a pound a week even though I only work out for an hour 3x a week and the longest "plateau" I've had was 2 weeks. Oh and I sit at a desk all day. It really isn't necessary to eat so little when you as tall as us.

As far as what nuts I eat, I generally eat unsalted walnuts, raw almonds, and brazil nuts. I also occasionally eat pistachios and cashews.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    i suggest people refer to this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

especially regarding eating less that 1200 cals :noway:

My thoughts exactly--we taller people do need more calories to fuel our bodies than smaller people. My BMR is 1600, I am eating 1750 on days I do not exercise. I have a HRM and I eat those exercise cals too. I maintain a very small caloric deficit--250cals/day which is theoretically 1/2 lb per week. This way my body doesn't realize it's losing weight, it feels very comfortable and not deprived. This summer I've changed up my eating habits and am eating ~80% clean, lots of fruits, veg, and protein. I'm trying to maintain a 40-30-30 ratio and that seems to be helping as well. This is a life change that I expect to keep up so I am doing things that are sustainable.

PS. I am 5'10", 185 lbs, --large boned--42 y.o. My goal is 170-175 lbs. and to be fit & healthy.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would just stick to the lowest calorie snacks, thats what I do. Wasa crackers and Laughing Cow Cheese is my fav snack. I cut up watermelon and cantaloupe and snack on that too. But I suggest to keep your calories lower than what it says. In five weeks I have lost 7 lbs :smile:

Carrie it's not a race. Although those are all healthy snacks, the best bet is to eat enough nutrionally valid cals to fuel the body--not to crash and burn. IMO :wink:
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options

I've also lost 7lbs in 5 week but I eat 600 calories a day more than you and I've been sustaining it for over 4 months. I very much doubt you will be able to but that's just my .02.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely stunned by the number of you that are over 5'8" and eat less than 1300 calories. I'm 5'10 and weigh 157lbs with a small frame and I eat at least 1650 calories a day. I aim for closer to 1700 or 1800 especially on the days I work out. I generally lose a little more than a pound a week even though I only work out for an hour 3x a week and the longest "plateau" I've had was 2 weeks. Oh and I sit at a desk all day. It really isn't necessary to eat so little when you as tall as us.

As far as what nuts I eat, I generally eat unsalted walnuts, raw almonds, and brazil nuts. I also occasionally eat pistachios and cashews.

I only noticed one person eating less than 1300 calories.? Let me take a look again. Maybe I missed something...