Any ladies 5'8 and up..

Options

Replies

• kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely stunned by the number of you that are over 5'8" and eat less than 1300 calories. I'm 5'10 and weigh 157lbs with a small frame and I eat at least 1650 calories a day. I aim for closer to 1700 or 1800 especially on the days I work out. I generally lose a little more than a pound a week even though I only work out for an hour 3x a week and the longest "plateau" I've had was 2 weeks. Oh and I sit at a desk all day. It really isn't necessary to eat so little when you as tall as us.

As far as what nuts I eat, I generally eat unsalted walnuts, raw almonds, and brazil nuts. I also occasionally eat pistachios and cashews.

I only noticed one person eating less than 1300 calories.? Let me take a look again. Maybe I missed something...

Wow! I see it now.:noway:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely stunned by the number of you that are over 5'8" and eat less than 1300 calories. I'm 5'10 and weigh 157lbs with a small frame and I eat at least 1650 calories a day. I aim for closer to 1700 or 1800 especially on the days I work out. I generally lose a little more than a pound a week even though I only work out for an hour 3x a week and the longest "plateau" I've had was 2 weeks. Oh and I sit at a desk all day. It really isn't necessary to eat so little when you as tall as us.

As far as what nuts I eat, I generally eat unsalted walnuts, raw almonds, and brazil nuts. I also occasionally eat pistachios and cashews.

I only noticed one person eating less than 1300 calories.? Let me take a look again. Maybe I missed something...

I may have confused in the people that said they were eating under before their exercise calories.
  • sedenne
    sedenne Posts: 4
    Options
    I am just starting and I am 5'10" I put I want to lose 1.5lbs per week and it put me at 1200 calories a day...I just started today so I am not sure how I will do at this level. But it sounds reasonable. I thought 1600 was more what a male should eat daily...
    Good luck to all of you...I see some of you have done really well! I would love any helpful hints you have gathered along the way!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options

I may have confused in the people that said they were eating under before their exercise calories.

They count too. If you eat 1800 and burn 1000, your net is only 800.:noway:
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    MFP put me at 1200 calories to lose one pound per week, so that is what I eat. On top of that I do eat my exercise calories, so I never go under the 1200 calorie mark. I have a desk job, and my BMR is 1531. I am afraid if I eat more I won't lose any weight. I am having a hard time losing weight as it is.
  • mcohan
    mcohan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i am 5'8" and it says i need 1200, i have a pretty laid back job though and i work out a few times a week, so i sometimes add in those calories sometimes not. make sure you are getting enough protein and a few carbs to keep your energy up.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    MFP put me at 1200 calories to lose one pound per week, so that is what I eat. On top of that I do eat my exercise calories, so I never go under the 1200 calorie mark. I have a desk job, and my BMR is 1531. I am afraid if I eat more I won't lose any weight. I am having a hard time losing weight as it is.

I think that's the bit that maybe not everyone is thinking about. Your BMR is going to change depending on how active you are, not including your excercise. I work at a desk so I don't burn many calories doing that. Someone else who is on their feet all day is going to burn more calories in their everyday life, so they may need more like 1600 calories.
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options

You are so close to your goal weight that your weight loss should be slowing down and it may be unreasonable to expect a pound a week and you may want to adjust your calories up. The 1200 is a general guideline, not a hard rule, and isn't applicable to every one. You may actually find it easier to lose weight with higher calories. There are a lot of people on this site that find this to be true but this is just my opinion and it's your choice.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

I think that's the bit that maybe not everyone is thinking about. Your BMR is going to change depending on how active you are, not including your excercise. I work at a desk so I don't burn many calories doing that. Someone else who is on their feet all day is going to burn more calories in their everyday life, so they may need more like 1600 calories.

I think you have BMR confused with TDEE. Please read this excellent post by SBS:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/30898-bmr-vs-tdee-what-mfp-is-telling-you
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options

I think you have BMR confused with TDEE. Please read this excellent post by SBS:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/30898-bmr-vs-tdee-what-mfp-is-telling-you

thanks for the info
  • yellowhouse
    Options
    I am 5'10 and MFP currently has me at 1900 per day. I started at the end of June and can't remember what it was then. I am on my feet most of the day cleaning and chasing after my kids. I go to the gym at least 6 days a week and burn between 800-900 calories each time. After I enter my exercise my food calories go up. I have never been able to eat all my calories but I do eat close to 1900 per day and I am losing weight and feeling great. I usually eat 7-10 servings of fruits and vegetables per day plus lean protein and protein shakes with fruit.

226887.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would just stick to the lowest calorie snacks, thats what I do. Wasa crackers and Laughing Cow Cheese is my fav snack. I cut up watermelon and cantaloupe and snack on that too. But I suggest to keep your calories lower than what it says. In five weeks I have lost 7 lbs :smile:

I've also lost 7lbs in 5 week but I eat 600 calories a day more than you and I've been sustaining it for over 4 months. I very much doubt you will be able to but that's just my .02.

I started out with this only weighing 174 lbs. I only want to get down to 150 lbs. I started this 5 weeks ago and to lose 7 lbs in that time frame is very good if you ask me. I do not have a huge appetite. I am not hungry, I only eat when I am hungry. Yes I started out to at 1600 calories a day but thats what I was eating before MFP and I did not lose any weight. So therefor I have to eat less than that to lose. But BOY what a motivation you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • carrieberrie
    Options
    sORRY MY POST IS FOR JoyousMaximus
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options
    If I were you I would just stick to the lowest calorie snacks, thats what I do. Wasa crackers and Laughing Cow Cheese is my fav snack. I cut up watermelon and cantaloupe and snack on that too. But I suggest to keep your calories lower than what it says. In five weeks I have lost 7 lbs :smile:

I've also lost 7lbs in 5 week but I eat 600 calories a day more than you and I've been sustaining it for over 4 months. I very much doubt you will be able to but that's just my .02.

I started out with this only weighing 174 lbs. I only want to get down to 150 lbs. I started this 5 weeks ago and to lose 7 lbs in that time frame is very good if you ask me. I do not have a huge appetite. I am not hungry, I only eat when I am hungry. Yes I started out to at 1600 calories a day but thats what I was eating before MFP and I did not lose any weight. So therefor I have to eat less than that to lose. But BOY what a motivation you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. I was just trying to help. My aunt has a really slow metabolism from dieting her whole life and can only eat 1000 calories a day or she gains a ton of weight. She's talked to her doctor about what to do to increase her metabolism and was told to slowly increase her food intake while exercising including weight training. I thought you may appreciate help increasing yours so that you won't always have to eat so little to lose or maintain weight.
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options
    sORRY MY POST IS FOR JoyousMaximus

That fact was perfectly clear.
  • carrieberrie
    Options
    I'm not a big eater, I gained weight because I ate the wrong foods. I started out at MFP eating 1600-1800 calories a day I gained. I tweaked it and this is what is good for me. I have a sit down job where I sit for 8-9 hours a day. Really MFP puts me at 1200 calories a week at sedentary, but I am somewhat active after work so that puts me at about 13-1400 a day. I'm just not hungry I eat but at the end of the day I still only ate 1100 or less calories right now I am at 1,046 and thats all 3 meals plus 2 snacks, I am just making better food choices
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options
    I'm not a big eater, I gained weight because I ate the wrong foods. I started out at MFP eating 1600-1800 calories a day I gained. I tweaked it and this is what is good for me. I have a sit down job where I sit for 8-9 hours a day. Really MFP puts me at 1200 calories a week at sedentary, but I am somewhat active after work so that puts me at about 13-1400 a day. I'm just not hungry I eat but at the end of the day I still only ate 1100 or less calories right now I am at 1,046 and thats all 3 meals plus 2 snacks, I am just making better food choices

I guess it's hard for me to understand because I can easily lose weight at 1800 even though I too have a desk job and eat clean. And I have known many people that under eat thinking that it is the best way to lose weight so I may be biased.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    tall people are so lucky :grumble: ........u get more calories to eat.....longer legs.......taller bodies in genral.......:grumble: :grumble: so u can reach stuff on the top shelf :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options
    tall people are so lucky :grumble: ........u get more calories to eat.....longer legs.......taller bodies in genral.......:grumble: :grumble: so u can reach stuff on the top shelf :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Honey, I'll get stuff off the top shelf for you.:smooched:
  • carrieberrie
    Options
    Some people are lucky that way. I have to eat fewer than 1400 calories to lose weight, But maybe I am like that way because I was comsuming less than 2000 calories a day before